• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Input on Quality of gold plating on reps

CaptainNapalm

Horology Curious
22/9/19
Hey folks,
My next rep will be the Rolex DJ 41 roman numerals or champagne dial, haven't quite decided yet. I would like to get this watch in steel & gold (S&G) but am worried about the quality of gold plating applied to these reps. Would hate to get attached to the watch and take care of it only to see the gold plating fading after a year or two. If that's the case I'd just go with all steel. Can anyone comment on this? Would love to hear from those with some experience with these S&G reps.
Thanks in advance guys.

Allthenamesweretaken

31/7/21
From what I've read on here they use 5mm plating. And it will eventually rub/scratch off from. I can't remember the members name but he put up a post that said he uses cellphone screen protector tape stuff on all the plated link parts.

Looked painstaking. But he also said there were kits you could buy online as well. Guess it depends on how hard you are on watches.

From what I've read on here they use 5mm plating. And it will eventually rub/scratch off from....

Are you sureabout that measurement? 5mm is HUGE - thats 0.1969 inches in old money. Typical gold plating is 0.5 microns or 3.10686e-10 in the auld stuff. I'd expect it to be 0.3 microns or less from China.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hesekiel

Allthenamesweretaken

31/7/21
100% correct. Microns. 5-7 microns is what plating usually is. I only use my phone on here and between the weird auto corrects and not being able to edit my posts I have plenty of spelling and abbreviation issues. Thanks for the correction Warwickhunt

Reactions: Warwickhunt

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Nikz19 can share some info as he's master of plating.

As far as I know there might be no gold at all in those rep platings or very minimum... If it would be gold another gold plating would stick to it and it's not you need to nickel plate it first.

Reactions: Warwickhunt

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
I use to own a gold plated rep - a two-tone submariner. I stopped wearing it after 3-4 months due to scratches and nicks. The plating is not durable at all.

Reactions: d4v3

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
We all try to have a replica that looks as GEN as possible. Gold plating is like throwing a wrench into the machine. Bad idea. The only exception I see on a dress watch like a Patek that is worn once or twice a year to a black tie event only.

PecMan

Put Some Respect On My Name
4/5/09
I was wearing an AP by JF , rose gold ... after 6 months, one part of the bracelet changed color (little orange) the rest is good. I took care of it but i think the parfume fucked it up.

Awristed development

Horology Curious
16/7/20
London
I got a noob v3 daytona paul numan dial. The gold plating on the smooth parts, which is most of the case is fine. On the brushed bits, its gone a slight green, not much, but enough to tell its not gold, almost as if it has another layer that is coming off. Guess its heat from wrist. If I could go back in time I'd have taken the steel. And bought bitcoin.