• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why is RWI so anti-profiteering? Some potential problems and solutions:

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland

daytona4me

Robert - EOW 19/01/2024
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
In the mid to late 1990's there was a forum called RWCC (Replica Watch Collectors Club). There are only a couple of us on all the forums combined that were a part of this forum, Trailboss and I included. It was founded because people were scammed, price gouged, taken advantage of, and lacked resources to find quality affordable replicas. RWG 1 came after this and the same theme continued. Several years later RWI was founded (2006) on the same principals. Those principals are:

In order of importance..

#1 Identify / Prevent the scam of someone selling a replica as a genuine (on eBay or gen forum)
#2 Train an army (self trained people) with the knowledge found on RWI to identify aforementioned scams.
#3 Have a forum where like-minded people can discuss this hobby.
#4 Allow the sharing of forum friendly dealers who are known to not scam, price gouge, or take advantage of people.
#5 Allow the trading or sales between members that align with our mission (see all above).
#6 Have fun

Ecender

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
26/10/18
Miami, Fl
In the mid to late 1990's there was a forum called RWCC (Replica Watch Collectors Club). There are only a couple of us on all the forums combined that were a part of this forum, Trailboss and I included. It was founded because people were scammed, price gouged, taken advantage of, and lacked resources to find quality affordable replicas. RWG 1 came after this and the same theme continued. Several years later RWI was founded (2006) on the same principals. Those principals are:

In order of importance..

#1 Identify / Prevent the scam of someone selling a replica as a genuine (on eBay or gen forum)
#2 Train an army (self trained people) with the knowledge found on RWI to identify aforementioned scams.
#3 Have a forum where like-minded people can discuss this hobby.
#4 Allow the sharing of forum friendly dealers who are known to not scam, price gouge, or take advantage of people.
#5 Allow the trading or sales between members that align with our mission (see all above).
#6 Have fun

I would frame this and hung over sales section as sticky post.

GGEuroHEADSHOT

Renowned Member
Supporter
21/8/21
Canada
It certainly looks disrespectful - and patronizing too - because it shows you didn't make any attempt to inform yourself on the history of RWI .

giphy.gif

thegolfman

Known Member
1/6/20
TBH, this site is a refreshing break from the rest of the internet, in general. It cast a mission for those interested, and stuck to that mission. It didn't wander or pivot to a place driven by clicks, monetization, or click-bait content and that's increasingly rare and very appreciated. It's a testament to the principles of a hobby, rather than a business and hopefully, we have many more years of enjoying it as it was/is/continues to be.

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland
TBH, this site is a refreshing break from the rest of the internet, in general. It cast a mission for those interested, and stuck to that mission. It didn't wander or pivot to a place driven by clicks, monetization, or click-bait content and that's increasingly rare and very appreciated. It's a testament to the principles of a hobby, rather than a business and hopefully, we have many more years of enjoying it as it was/is/continues to be.

That is extremely well said.

Reactions: AlphaProt

Yacht-Monster

The entertainer previously known as Roughwatch
Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
Mate, there's a difference between wanting something and expecting it to happen. I'd love to win the lottery, but it's not something I'd expect (Heck there will be massive giveaway of Daytonas if this happened though). I'd like to be able to have the option of buying Daytona at pre-raid price, but realistically I expect for that to happen, I'd have to offer a little more to incentivize someone. I don't buy reps to flip them. In my original post, I had mentioned someone had already offered me a sizable premium to part ways with my watches, which I have declined.

All I am saying is that if there is a lack of sellers, you have to put yourself in their shoes and see the situation from there case.

I get your point and don't think you were being disrespectful, I'd gladly pay more for some discontinued watches from Noob and VSF (assuming they're gone too). However, I do agree with the others that you can do that on reddit etc and this is kind of a different space. which is why you'll get help from many who really have nothing to gain other than sharing the rep love. I think others have mentioned this too, but just posting this as I don't think your intention was to upset anyone, I see your point even though I don't agree with it.

Now, anyone want to see me a 226659 VSF for an inflated price? I'll gladly pay hahaha.