• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Broken Time - Confessions of a lost watch lover

donerix

I'm Pretty Popular
9/2/09
Nicaragua
I still remember when the release of a new watch of a certain brand would send my heart rate into unhealthy territory and inject serious amounts of endorphins in my blood stream. At first trying to satisfy my need for a fix by perusing countless pictures of said object online and then finally rushing to a store or watch show to see it in the flesh or - yes it could really happen - actually hold it in my own hands and feel the perfection of the steel between my fingertips.

And the love for the more mature pieces and the never ending pursuit of the best possible build of the rarest of rare timepieces.

Will I ever forget the moment when my eyes caught sight of a certain case shape between a mountain of worthless junk during the visit to a flea market in Germany which turned out to be an original Rolex GMT 6542 case with case back and original ghost dial completely devoid of any lume markers ..... I found the grail.

And then the ensuing hunt for the right GMT movement from the original manufaktur to fill the missing link and the countless sleepless nights considering the sacrilege of actually re-luming this piece of history despite the fact that it was barley legible even in the brightest of lights.

What happened to this passion that seemed to fill every free hour of the day? Or to the excitement of making a hand-stitched strap for the latest vintage Panerai from that perfect piece of old cow hide ripped from a dilapidated suitcase or well worn boxing speed bag? Why do I know seem to miss the logic in buying literally dozens of different endlinks to finally get the perfect fit for this vintage rivet bracelet for that Tudor build. Boxes of parts stare at me repeating the question: What happened?

Was it the pandemic's fault, that gripped so many of us with it's subconscious depression and tried to pull us down? Why did I not make better use of these months where all economic activity had stopped and do something with this most valuable asset? Learn a new language, go out and surf, unlock that last thing that makes my golf swing still suck. Build some watches out of all these parts piling up in my work studio. Anything would have been better than wasting hours - which added up to days, if not weeks - watching depressing youtube videos or calculating the newest Worldometer numbers of new cases and COVID deaths for the next 24, 48 or 120 months... yes I really did that!

But no. I think it had started before the news of the first cases started coming out of China. Somehow that light of passion for watches that had been glowing so strong and for so long had started to flicker already some time ago. But why?

Was it because I had seen it and done it all? Barely. Why is it that the Tudor Black Bay 58 which should be right in my wheelhouse just gets a nod of deference with a snidely comment about it's chubby side profile compared to it's ancestors or that basically nothing in the current Rolex lineup even gets a second look. Panerai has already lost me a while ago with it's endless sequence of ever more identical looking models hidden in their model number salad. Have I become that jaded?

I know my other passion, the one for four wheeled pieces of art is still going strong like always. Maybe it's because living in the Third World most of it needs to be satisfied online and only the occasional trip to Puerto Banus will get me a car fix strong enough to hold me over for a while. But shouldn't this also be the same for watches...?

After all watch spotting there is a real treat in comparison to the fields of Nicaragua.

But somehow the new Porsche GT3 Touring or the new Ferrari 296 GTB or the recreated Lambo Countach can do to me what neither a new Daytona nor Nautilus seem to be able to...

Maybe I am just in a phase of reorientation .... having worn my Seiko Turtle every day for the last several months seems to point that way. Something that seemed unthinkable a couple of years ago especially considering the other pieces collecting dust in the watch box.

And I am wearing it on the same strap all the time! And I didn't even make it! It's a ridiculously expensive Eulit perlon strap (worth very penny though if I am honest).

I still enjoy making watch bands for other people though, but even there I have to admit that the creative challenges are getting harder to find between those orders for AP hornback or Hublot croc belly straps.

Maybe I am just getting old? Maybe I need a change of scenery? Maybe I need a project? Maybe I need to see a shrink, because technically I have nothing to complain about.

So why did I just type all this? I really don't know but I suddenly had to do it. Maybe to just get it off my chest.

Thank you for allowing me to do so.

Maybe, just maybe ( a lot of "maybe-s" for someone who usually doesn't have a problem making even tough decisions) you have an idea?

Donerix

wkim8732

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
30/10/17
TW
Nothing to worry about? I mean you still have to worry about shipping out a Watch box I paid for a year and half ago…

need to receive it before November or please just refund me

Reactions: rj999

fatarms

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
9/5/12
In my pants
Really well written, I enjoyed every word.

I've been around only a few years less than you on these boards and am starting to feel the same way about replicas. Rarely do I see a replica now that gets that second look. And the ones that do catch my eye, I'll end up buying one or two and end up selling them in 6 months.

I got into this hobby, or more accurately, found this hobby trying to breathe new life into a gen 16750 that had a ghost bezel, crystal that was scratched to hell and a bracelet that looks like it was dragged behind a truck for about 5 miles. I was looking for a new insert to replace the ghost insert and google searching somehow included frankening and I found the rep forums. The happy ending to this story is that I only replaced the crystal and had the bracelet polished out a bit. I kept the ghost insert, the original matte dial with tritium markers. Today, I see these watches selling for about $16,000, but I'll never sell this one. My wife gifted it to me, it was her grandfather's and he'd worn it every day in the Texas sun for 30 years.

I ended up jumping head first into the rep world, buying and selling every rep that I even remotely had interest in. The funny thing is that I've never owned more than 12 at a time. I've always had the one in, one out policy and stuck to it now for almost 10 years.

Sometime in the past two years or so, I've started to lose interest in reps and have started buying gens of the watches I can currently afford. I actually own more gens than reps at this point. In fact, I just received an Ebel 1911 Discovery Chrono today. I had the gen about 7 years ago and sold it. It was one of the very few that I regretted for many years afterwards. I decided to start looking for one a couple years ago in good shape and for a decent price. Most of the time, those two things don't go together, but I got lucky on one from Japan and jumped on it. I'm actually wearing it now.

My story is one of moving on from reps to gens (I own 5 reps, 4 of which are Rolex reps - one a franken - simply because I can't yet afford the real things.) I end up fixating on one or two details and as everyone says, "can't unsee" the flaw. The very thing we all are willing to overlook if you go with the rep hobby. The flaws start to eat at me and I eventually sell them or franken to make that thing go away. I've decided to just start saving and buying gens when I can. So it seems I'm losing the replica fever I once had.

My fear is that sometime in the future, I too will lose the penchant for watches. The gens will no longer hold my interest and I'll burn out on watches. I read about them almost daily, log onto this place and RWG and read all about them, learn new things, teach newbies the old things, and repeat the next day.

Not sure what the answer is. To move on to something new altogether, or just take a hiatus and it'll rekindle the fire since I'll miss it. I guess only time and the next couple years will tell.

Donerix, I've owned at least 3 of your straps over the years that I can think of off the top of my head. Unfortunately, they were attached to reps that I've since moved on. But you have to do what's best for you. You're one of the OG people and dealers here and over at HF. But the masters walk away at some point. TC and KeNnY, come to mind, both for different reasons. But, my friend, you have one life. You've spent a large portion of it putting smiles on faces with some innovative straps over the years. But if it no longer puts a smile on your face, sure we will miss you and your work, but you have to make yourself happy as well. If you do decide to hang up the awls and blades, please do drop in from time to time to say hello. I know that will make many old schoolers around here including me smile.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Nothing to worry about? I mean you still have to worry about shipping out a Watch box I paid for a year and half ago…

donerix please fix this ^^.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11

you filled out a ticket ?

Siesta Shrink

Known Member
Patron
Certified
12/6/21
Speaking from the perspective of my day job, I think you've done a great job at self-therapy. Sounds like you have the insight to diagnose the problem; now you just have to start trying solutions.

And if you don't have a diagnosis when you go to a shrink, you'll have one when you leave. Trust me on this.

Best of luck on your journey

peter4ptv

14/5/20
L. A.
I wasting hours - which added up to days, if not weeks - watching depressing youtube videos or calculating the newest Worldometer numbers of new cases and COVID deaths for the next 24, 48 or 120 months... yes I really did that!

you really need professional help.

mettmett

Known Member
10/8/15
GERMANY
Hi Eric,

A Long time ago I ordered my last strap from you. (Koko)

You are a nice guy. I hope you will find a project (perhaps with Friends) that leads you out of your thoughts labyrinth. Stay healthy.

Markus

Mike116

I'm Pretty Popular
20/11/12
Back of beyond
I sympathize. I go hot and cold on watches, and cars. I think the buzz is to get into the stuff that feels right for ones self again and not go cold completely before your to old and buggared to care

MiMo62

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/4/20

need to receive it before November or pleasež just refund me

Lol:wave-1:
Give you a hand from me.
Same exact problem here with him!
I just say "Spring 2020 Sale" - right??
I'm also waiting for a box and several straps:D
Which one yours - the Panerai???

MiMo62

24/4/20
Raddave tripdog

Want to let you know that i got the exact same issue with Donerix (a box ane several straps from same sale.
Bought it on his sale at RG and admin Grapeshot this days took care of that case!

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Raddave tripdog

Want to let you know that i got the exact same issue with Donerix (a box ane several straps from same sale.
Bought it on his sale at RG and admin Grapeshot this days took care of that case!

so what are you saying you got it or you are still waiting for it ?

MiMo62

24/4/20
so what are you saying you got it or you are still waiting for it ?

Same case as wkim8732, waitin for my purchases since 04/2020!!!! - a box and several straps!
Since today all goods never left Nicaragua!!!

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Same case as wkim8732, waitin for my purchases since 04/2020!!!! - a box and several straps!
Since today all goods never left Nicaragua!!!

Please fill out a help desk ticket so we can address this

MiMo62

24/4/20
Please fill out a help desk ticket so we can address this

Sorry, i don't know if this would be OK as i made my deal on Donerix sale threw RepGeek and not on RWI!
And i had no good experiance with the Helpdesk here in the past.

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Sorry, i don't know if this would be OK as i made my deal on Donerix sale threw RepGeek and not on RWI!
And i had no good experiance with the Helpdesk here in the past.

oh ok