• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Bruised submariner case

AAH1483

Certified
5/12/12
Hi guys and hope all is well with everyone. I have a sub that got bruised on the case from wearing bead bracelets behind the watch. Is there anyway I can get this buffed off or is it ruined?

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
If this area is supposed to have a mirror finish, you will need a tool like a dremel to get a decent result.

AAH1483

Certified
5/12/12
Hi Plaasbaas. Thanks for the advice. Is there a cloth I can use or is that reaching a bit?

johloo

Renowned Member
Patron
14/3/17
get yourself a yellow sunshine polishing cloth and go to town on it. Be sure to tape off your bezel or that will shine up too if the cloth rubs against it

Plaasbaas

Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
It will improve if you do it by hand and use a metal polishing cloth or Cape Cod (some love it, some hate it), but as has been said, it'll take quite a long time and depending on light and angle scratches might still be visible. I have not yet seen any perfect mirror polish done only by hand. Also, as has been pointed out, make sure to protect all the areas you don't work on, especially the bezel and the crystal, and go about it with caution as you risk improving the cosmetic condition of your watch in one place and worsening it in another. Always keep polishing compounds away from crystal.

Last edited:
Reactions: DryRun

domiffm

buffalo is sick
Patron
Certified
28/4/15
Germany
I have "invented" something with which I can obtain an almost perfect result as an unprofessional.

With Cape Cod, you can't achieve an ideal result by hand. So I cut a piece of Cape Cod and clamp it on a Dremel polishing head. Secure it well at the bottom with rubber bands. Then put the head on the Dremel and work over the surfaces. If the scratches are too deep, you can also work on them first with a green polishing paste. In the end, however, the perfect mirror polish is actually achieved with my method. See picture.
35AB19EA-05FD-407A-B03D-212828EA914F38f3b06155563327.jpg

Plaasbaas

Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
I have "invented" something with which I can obtain an almost perfect result as an unprofessional.

With Cape Cod, you can't achieve an ideal result by hand. So I cut a piece of Cape Cod and clamp it on a Dremel polishing head. Secure it well at the bottom with rubber bands. Then put the head on the Dremel and work over the surfaces. If the scratches are too deep, you can also work on them first with a green polishing paste. In the end, however, the perfect mirror polish is actually achieved with my method. See picture.
35AB19EA-05FD-407A-B03D-212828EA914F38f3b06155563327.jpg

So glad you're showing that! Honestly I wanted to try this myself and was wondering if it can be done! Exactly what I was looking for. This is so cool, thank you.

Reactions: DryRun

domiffm

buffalo is sick
Patron
Certified
28/4/15
Germany
So glad you're showing that! Honestly I wanted to try this myself and was wondering if it can be done! Exactly what I was looking for. This is so cool, thank you.
But make sure you fix it tight and secure with good rubber bands. If the rubber band is too old and brittle it can break during action and slap in your eye!

And only use fresh and wet Cape Cop. Once it’s dried up the result will not be as good as with a fresh one. And to prevent spraying around the Cape Cop juice all around in your room I always let the Dremel spin the head with a fresh Cape Cop piece in a cup first. After that you can start.

Last edited:

Plaasbaas

Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
But make sure you fix it tight and secure with good rubber bands. If the rubber band is too old and brittle it can break during action and slap in your eye!

And only use fresh and wet Cape Cop. Once it’s dried up the result will not be as good as with a fresh one. And to prevent spraying around the Cape Cop juice all around in your room I always let the Dremel spin the head with a fresh Cape Cop piece in a cup first. After that you can start.

This is all very good advice! Thank you! Exactly what I needed. :) And so true, you need to protect your eyes. I always wear protective glasses when working with the dremel.

Reactions: domiffm

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
If the rubber band is too old and brittle it can break during action and slap in your eye!
And to prevent spraying around the Cape Cop juice all around in your room I always let the Dremel spin the head with a fresh Cape Cop piece in a cup first.
These are wise words of advice, and they also conjure up images of comedic scenes in which you learned the lessons by painful and messy experience...

Whenever Cape Cod is mentioned, I always also feel compelled to point out that it's dangerously poisonous stuff - if the copious warnings on the packaging are to be believed. They probably emphasise its toxicity because it smells sweet and edible, but even so it's worth bearing in mind, especially when you're about to spray it all over the room at 7000 rpm.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
And to prevent spraying around the Cape Cop juice all around in your room I always let the Dremel spin the head with a fresh Cape Cop piece in a cup first. After that you can start.

Those Cape cops are well known for spraying their juice everywhere, trying to aim at a cup is a good piece of advice.

AAH1483

Certified
5/12/12
Thanks guys for the good advice from all. Will work on it soon and post before and after results. Wish me luck.????

Reactions: Plaasbaas