• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Suggestion: What about a regularly updated pricelist of all trusted dealers ?

On_Time

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/10/19
Europe

in tabular form
SubmarinerGMTDeep Sea...
Dealer 1X $X $X $
Dealer 2X $X $X $
Dealer 3X $X $X $
Dealer 4X $X $X $

On_Time

19/10/19
Europe
I would ask every TD to send in it's best prices for each model he wants to show in this list. If a TD does not want to show his prices it's up to him. BUT for those who want to make better business they can be part of this list. At least for the most common models.
This was only an idea from my side ;-)
Independent comparison sites are not unusual these days ;-)

harpthrowing

Horology Curious
22/8/21

in tabular form
SubmarinerGMTDeep Sea...
Dealer 1X $X $X $
Dealer 2X $X $X $
Dealer 3X $X $X $
Dealer 4X $X $X $

is this a price tag fo bunch of watches ??

Alan Bourdillion Traherne

Renowned Member
6/3/21
CONUS

in tabular form
SubmarinerGMTDeep Sea...
Dealer 1X $X $X $
Dealer 2X $X $X $
Dealer 3X $X $X $
Dealer 4X $X $X $

You are a wise and learned savant. When you have your list compiled and published on your site, I will subscribe immediately. This has been needed for a long time and you are the first to offer to complete it. I cannot understand why no one has thought of this. Your task, please complete, young Jedi.

Reactions: kavorca1

parklanephil

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
4/6/14
This properly made me laugh. Do your research, why do people need to be spoon fed these days
Let me know when you have gathered all the info…. It’s all out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On_Time

19/10/19
Europe
For those who dont know how it works ;-)
[h=2]Technology[/h] Price comparison sites can collect data directly from merchants. Retailers who want to list their products on the website then supply their own lists of products and prices, and these are matched against the original database. This is done by a mixture of information extraction, fuzzy logic and human labour.

[Means automatically]

Comparison sites can also collect data through a data feed file. Merchants provide information electronically in a set format. This data is then imported by the comparison website. Some third party businesses are providing consolidation of data feeds so that comparison sites do not have to import from many different merchants. Affiliate networks aggregate data feeds from many merchants and provide them to the price comparison sites. Many of the popular shopping websites provide direct affiliation to the customer who wants to become affiliate partner. They provide their own API to the affiliate partner to show their products with specifications to the affiliate partner's website. This enables price comparison sites to monetize the products contained in the feeds by earning commissions on click through traffic. Other price comparison sites have deals with merchants and aggregate feeds using their own technology.

Info from Wikipedia

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Well, if you have read the above summary on Wiki yourself, you might be getting an idea why your endeavor is considered slightly unrealistic. And while it outlines HOW it is done (mostly except counterfeit goods), and also answers WHY it is done (mostly not for altruistic reasons but to generate profit), it leaves one question unanswered:

WHO would you think is going to take on this "little" task?

golfa

6/8/17
New Zealand
WHO would you think is going to take on this "little" task?

There is almost always someone who has time on their hands. The TA has planted a seed and others will mull it over. Someone will probably do it because it's not a bad idea.

Jawellnofine !

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
There is almost always someone who has time on their hands.
Yes, I bet someone is simply dying to spend days coding a site dedicated to this task, with a well-designed front end and sophisticated back end, and then spend a great deal of their time monitoring it to ensure it stays up to date, updating it when TD site URLs change because the current one got shut down, etc.

And all done to save any of us from having to spend about15 minutes checking the half a dozen active TD sites for a watch, and finding out that all the TDs sell the same model/version at the same price.

SillyTom

30/6/21
close to a mouse trap
For those who dont know how it works ;-)
[h=2]Technology[/h] Price comparison sites can collect data directly from merchants. Retailers who want to list their products on the website then supply their own lists of products and prices, and these are matched against the original database. This is done by a mixture of information extraction, fuzzy logic and human labour.

[Means automatically]

Comparison sites can also collect data through a data feed file. Merchants provide information electronically in a set format. This data is then imported by the comparison website. Some third party businesses are providing consolidation of data feeds so that comparison sites do not have to import from many different merchants. Affiliate networks aggregate data feeds from many merchants and provide them to the price comparison sites. Many of the popular shopping websites provide direct affiliation to the customer who wants to become affiliate partner. They provide their own API to the affiliate partner to show their products with specifications to the affiliate partner's website. This enables price comparison sites to monetize the products contained in the feeds by earning commissions on click through traffic. Other price comparison sites have deals with merchants and aggregate feeds using their own technology.

Info from Wikipedia

Would be definetly interesting to have a price comparsion page for reps, like "idealo" for normal things.

If you can (& will) do it, who will stop you?

PS: If i should make an educated guess, i would think the cops will love it too

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
List Prices are generally the same across all dealers (give or take 10usd). This obviously doesn’t include promotions and sales.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
List Prices are generally the same across all dealers...especially for new releases and for popular models.

flyinhawaiian

24/12/20
USA
As cool as this would be from a tech standpoint, TD’s aren’t out here providing API’s for a price aggregator to ingest, and their sites aren’t conducive to web scraping either (slow, not always up to date, inconsistent labelling, no UUID/product codes). Also I’ve yet to find a TD site that actually lists everything they sell. A lot of the new/ more obscure stuff isn’t listed but they can source it for you.

So even if you were to scrape some data automatically (this is the easy part), there would be a mountain of cleaning and other data collection that would need to be done by hand on a regular basis to keep this thing updated.

As others have mentioned already, TD prices are in the same ballpark anyway so the more important question is not who has the cheapest sub, but who will provide you the best customer service experience.

WolfKissed

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/6/21
California
Yes, I bet someone is simply dying to spend days coding a site dedicated to this task, with a well-designed front end and sophisticated back end, and then spend a great deal of their time monitoring it to ensure it stays up to date, updating it when TD site URLs change because the current one got shut down, etc.

And all done to save any of us from having to spend about15 minutes checking the half a dozen active TD sites for a watch, and finding out that all the TDs sell the same model/version at the same price.

This!

Hahahaha. If you find the SAME watch at a materially different price from any of the 5 TD’s I use…. I’ll eat the watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk