• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Curious about rep watch sales/sellers on RWI

OverAfton

Patron
Certified
I just posed this question to a member here via IM, and while I am very much interested in his particular answer, I thought I would also simply pose this to experienced forum members.
(Note: I am NOT going to post any of the private IM messages/his answers between him and me! I am simply posing my question again...)

Hello sir: quick question. I see quite a few folks like you selling really nice, brand new reps here. Why is this? It makes me smile at the disconnect between newbies like me (just purchased my first rep) who sweat, fret, and whine (I promise, I did not, but those who do...) SO. VERY. CONCERNED. that they have been "ripped off" by a TD if they don't get IMMEDIATE responses to their incessant questions, and those like yourself who appear to blithely sell such a piece. One buyer is a (self-induced) tortured soul, the other carefree, even in taking a lo$$.
Strange this rep world is.....:yoda:
In all seriousness, I am interested in your answer/insights regarding those like yourself!

As an fyi, I do understand there are TDs who purchase multiple pieces and sell from Europe, etc. I am not referring to these sellers, nor collectors who sell off from their ever-expanding collections. I just see more folks doing as I mentioned above than I would have expected.

Thank you for the insight and education!

PS: How did I magically become a senior member?

Last edited:

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
Much to learn, you still have, young padavan ;-)
Many of the members, who are in the Rep Game for a long time, have fun in testing new watches on their own wrist. You buy a watch either from a TD or from another member and maybee the wonderful Super-Rep is not your dream watch. Taste is something very subjective. The watch can be too small, too large, to blinky or to boring. Or you simply realize, that you now wish another watch and have to free up some money or the place on your watch winder. There can be many reasons. And that is one of the great things of RWI. You can buy and than sell in most of cases with only a little loss. So you free to test many Reps in real life.

OverAfton

Patron
Certified
Indeed I do, Master JB!!!

Thanks for your reply, and that makes sense. :thumbsup:

I guess I am observing the huge gap in (hopeful) maturation of members understanding of this hobby: from abject newbie panic to a real confidence in the community as a whole. I don't mean to over-inflate things, but this, in all honesty, is a professional community far more than I could have imagined when I first joined...and I've been here like, what, thirty seconds? Much to learn....!

OverAfton

Patron
Certified
newbies like me (just purchased my first rep) who sweat, fret, and whine (I promise, I did not, but those who do...)

Yeah, I just looked back at some of my messages with Andrew at TT-----yepper, I sure did ^this......
SeparateSimpleAnnashummingbird-max-1mb.gif

CatsMeow83

Horology Curious
20/8/21
Hello sir: quick question. I see quite a few folks like you selling really nice, brand new reps here. Why is this? It makes me smile at the disconnect between newbies like me (just purchased my first rep) who sweat, fret, and whine (I promise, I did not, but those who do...) SO. VERY. CONCERNED. that they have been "ripped off" by a TD if they don't get IMMEDIATE responses to their incessant questions, and those like yourself who appear to blithely sell such a piece. One buyer is a (self-induced) tortured soul, the other carefree, even in taking a lo$$.

Your writing style is very difficult to follow. I mean this in the most constructive way.

Yacht-Monster

The entertainer previously known as Roughwatch
Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
I just posed this question to a member here via IM, and while I am very much interested in his particular answer, I thought I would also simply pose this to experienced forum members.
(Note: I am NOT going to post any of the private IM messages/his answers between him and me! I am simply posing my question again...)

Strange this rep world is.....:yoda:
In all seriousness, I am interested in your answer/insights regarding those like yourself!

As an fyi, I do understand there are TDs who purchase multiple pieces and sell from Europe, etc. I am not referring to these sellers, nor collectors who sell off from their ever-expanding collections. I just see more folks doing as I mentioned above than I would have expected.

Thank you for the insight and education!

PS: How did I magically become a senior member?

I'm kind of a newbie compared to some of the folks here, but I have bought from several TDs and they're all very trustworthy, so ordering another watch isn't a concern and actually more fun. I don't want to part with the good reps I've got mostly because after the QC process, shipping etc, I really feel like it's been a battle to get the damn thing so I can see it from that perspective.

Cheers.

Reactions: OverAfton

shinynewbling25

aprilia
29/1/15
Where your daughter is
Hi OverAfton, my take is newer people are concerned about investing 3-400 dollars and they really want the watch bad so both of those add up to a bunch of anxiety. Older members have already gotten the watches they wanted sooooo bad so their purchases are less stressful. When you first start you're trying to get keepers. This is mostly true but I just got a Chronotmat that absolutely need to have but experience tells me it will come to me and if not as you say the professionals here and TD's will (should at least) refund you. Later on you basically pay 50-60 to try it on your wrist and basically own it for however long you want and if it's a watch you just wanted to try it can be a short time.

The quickest watch I ever sold is probably 3 weeks. It was a seadweller. I really liked it but I had the submariner already and the sub had a more distinctive case profile. Selling soon got my money back fast.

We're also price desensitized. I remember 268.00 was a pricey rep. There are still awesome new reps for that price but some watches now are just expensive. The new Chronomats for example. 600.00 to your door. But I wanted the watch, I like watches and you can always sell it so like I said you have to get comfortable throwing around some $$$. What's the expression...You only live once. So just do it (or buy it in this case).

Reactions: OverAfton