• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My experience with DH Gate

Hulk Power

Known Member
2/4/21
Received an empty bubbled envelope.
I bought from a seller with many mainly positive feedback.
Looks like he was doing dropshipping because when I contacted him about what happened he offered a full refund with no questions (nor apologies).
Had to open a dispute and he accepted.
Refund received.
Just learnt the lesson that the seller´s feedback is not legit.
Maybe I´ll try again but only from very long term and a ton of "feedback".

Hulk Power

Known Member
2/4/21
by the way I attached the pics from the envelop unopened and opened.
I always take pecs from cheap stuff I buy from new sellers and a video if the item is expensive while I open the packet.

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Many RWI members shop DHGate quite frequently (Although most won't admit to it), can you name this DHGate seller so that he can be avoided. Thanks.

Ecender

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
26/10/18
Miami, Fl
Curious to know why using a dhgate seller instead of a TD? Are these stuff different from watches?

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Curious to know why using a dhgate seller instead of a TD? Are these stuff different from watches?

There's a ton of cheaper reps on DHGate that TDs either don't offer, or you'd pay more than Gate prices for at a TD. For instance, one of the first reps I bought was a quartz Omega Snoopy Anniversary moonwatch. I paid $170 from a TD, and later found I could have got exactly the same version of the watch on the Gate for $60-70.

Navigating the absolute mass of stores on DHGate to find stuff is tough, and there are undoubtedly some cowboy dealers who will send you something contrary to what the photos showed. Although you can ask for QC pics, you have to pay upfront and if the QC pics show a lemon, you have to go through the DHGate dispute process to get a refund. The good thing about the process is it tends to favour the buyer (in my experience).

Also, you have to guess at the right keywords to use in order to find watches - gen brand and model names are forbidden in the descriptions, and all the reps have the logos photoshopped out. But get through that and there are some nice bargains to be had. However, if you're in the market for anything over $100 you're better off sticking with a TD.

The forums have sections dedicated to DHGate/Aliexpress - handy for picking up tips on reputable Gate sellers and current bargains.

Last edited:

Yacht-Monster

The entertainer previously known as Roughwatch
Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
There's a ton of cheaper reps on DHGate that TDs either don't offer, or you'd pay more than Gate prices for at a TD. For instance, one of the first reps I bought was a quartz Omega Snoopy Anniversary moonwatch. I paid $170 from a TD, and later found I could have got exactly the same version of the watch on the Gate for $60-70.

Navigating the absolute mass of stores on DHGate to find stuff is tough, and there are undoubtedly some cowboy dealers who will send you something contrary to what the photos showed. Although you can ask for QC pics, you have to pay upfront and if the QC pics show a lemon, you have to go through the DHGate dispute process to get a refund. The good thing about the process is it tends to favour the buyer (in my experience).

Also, you have to guess at the right keywords to use in order to find watches - gen brand and model names are forbidden in the descriptions, and all the reps have the logos photoshopped out. But get through that and there are some nice bargains to be had. However, if you're in the market for anything over $100 you're better off sticking with a TD.

The forums have sections dedicated to DHGate/Aliexpress - handy for picking up tips on reputable Gate sellers and current bargains.

Completely agree that you can find lower end watches that a TD typically sells at ~$150 for nearly a third of that on dhgate, but the opposite is also true. Expect to see BP subs for $700+. It's been good for me for some watches that I couldn't justify buying a good rep of just to see if I like it. They have decent resale value to so it's a small investment to try something out before buying a higher end rep for ~450+.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Expect to see BP subs for $700+.
Yep, agree - as I said, any rep over $100, best stick with a TD. Although another member here just alerted me to a Gate source for the BP 16613 at just over £100, which again goes to prove what a minefield liberally scattered with tempting gems the Gate is.

Yacht-Monster

The entertainer previously known as Roughwatch
Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
Yep, agree - as I said, any rep over $100, best stick with a TD. Although another member here just alerted me to a Gate source for the BP 16613 at just over £100, which again goes to prove what a minefield liberally scattered with tempting gems the Gate is.

Sorry, you did mention that.

Do you think the bargain high end rep stuff might be just crap sold as a higher end rep? I've had some of those U1 reps from there and unless you open them up (or if they have a noisy 2813) then they'd pass as a lower tier rep from a TD.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Do you think the bargain high end rep stuff might be just crap sold as a higher end rep?
Yes, guaranteed. There are no Gate dealers who are going to be selling high end reps at bargain prices.

U1 watches are a perfectly good example of how you can get a decent looking rep at a bargain price - because they're powered by a cheap 2813. I've got a Gate U1 PP Nautilus - because I don't want to spend any more money on a decent one. It looks pretty enough, so it fills a PP shaped hole in my rep collection.

Reactions: Hulk Power

reppy

Renowned Member
14/1/17
Received an empty bubbled envelope.
I bought from a seller with many mainly positive feedback.
Looks like he was doing dropshipping because when I contacted him about what happened he offered a full refund with no questions (nor apologies).
Had to open a dispute and he accepted.
Refund received.
Just learnt the lesson that the seller´s feedback is not legit.
Maybe I´ll try again but only from very long term and a ton of "feedback".

I have never received an empty envelope from aliexpress/dhgate/ebay china purchases.
I have received crappy stuff, but never an empty envelope.
Maybe it was a mistake.
You're not going to get good quality reps from dhgate that are going to fool anybody who knows what is what though.
I mean, you CAN get named-factory reps there, but it will cost you more than a TD charges

Booch

Supporter
Certified
23/8/20
New York, USA
I bought a 45.5mm PO… piece of shit. Bracelet broke on the first day. Definitely did not look as nice as the photos in the listing. Seller had a feedback rating in the several thousands. After much fighting h he sent a new bracelet. Second watch was DSSD blue. Clasp on the bracelet broke. Gave both away to a friend that loves them. Never again.