• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Working Conditions in Replica Factories

Yacht-Monster

The entertainer previously known as Roughwatch
Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
Okay, so just to clarify, I'm not fishing for an answer that validates my ethics but more asking as the anti-rep people always bang on about sweatshops and criminals. Granted that it's illegal in China but the conversations I've had over email with a few TDs, including a few lower tier TDs on popular websites are that the working conditions are like any other low level factory job. Most employees don't care about what they're making at the bottom end, and that some of the techs at the top are well paid and know their stuff (SA/SH3135 movement makers etc).

Having said that, I've only asked people who benefit from my patronage so that might be a tad biased. Interested to hear what anyone else actually knows about life in the factories.

Cheers

Last edited:

locvs

7/12/20
Germany
VSF installed a large safety net just like Foxconn. The high amount of bezel makers commiting siucide was worring. This is how the CCP got their location. Traced the safety net order to them.

Reactions: rj999 and leo6929

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Okay, so just to clarify, I'm not fishing for an answer that validates my ethics but more asking as the anti-rep people always bang on about sweatshops and criminals.
The anti-rep people have a point.

rj999

I'm Pretty Popular
20/10/13
UK
Last time I visisted a factory, the chains they used on the employees were lighter and not rusty. I would say that the condiition are more than ok vs the stanard.

I noticed that the manacles shackling their hands to the workbench are actually now in 904L steel, and the edges are smoother so there's less wrist damage.

Last edited:

THXuk

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
25/3/06
London
Those who have been around a while may remember the dealer TK from Thailand. I will never forget the one and only time I asked him to do a thorough QC on a watch (this is the days before dealers provided photos) from his Thailand stock before posting to me.

His response - "Listen, mate, this watch is made in a poorly lit secret underground bunker in the Thai jungle by a young woman assembling your watch with one hand and breast feedin with the other, you should be grateful it ticks at all, now do you want it or not, I got other buyers chomping on my balls for it"

I miss TK...

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Those who have been around a while may remember the dealer TK from Thailand. I will never forget the one and only time I asked him to do a thorough QC on a watch (this is the days before dealers provided photos) from his Thailand stock before posting to me.

His response - "Listen, mate, this watch is made in a poorly lit secret underground bunker in the Thai jungle by a young woman assembling your watch with one hand and breast feedin with the other, you should be grateful it ticks at all, now do you want it or not, I got other buyers chomping on my balls for it"

I miss TK...

The moment when you realise that this guy easy could get a job as chief marketing on a company as google or apple.
My bet: you bought this watch?:)

Reactions: thenut

THXuk

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
25/3/06
London
Watch is long gone, i think it was an early nautilus rep. Terrible by todays standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: derjenigewelcher

Yacht-Monster

The entertainer previously known as Roughwatch
Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
Given the fascinating insights as shared, and the reported misuse of 904L steel, I thought I'd ask a few TDs this as prior to the pandemic I had to travel to China and other countries in the Asian region regularly for work (clothing trade). Factories in Vietnam, even those owned by large corporate giants had some of the most horrendous conditions. Chinese factories varied a bit. Those that produced cheap Kmart style clothing were very average but the conditions were a little bit better in some (but not much). One TD told me that crappy factory jobs are not hard to get in China and half the people working in a rep factory have the same conditions as a watch factory that produces crappy homage brands (which aren't the best by western standards). Sure, they probably work long hours for little pay (like Apple employees), but as the TD pointed out to me, there's a bit of a misconception that rep industries are full of people working against their will. Those on the production line with no other skills could be doing the same job but assembling phone chargers or something similar that we buy without thought.

Anyway, just curious given what I've seen of factory conditions in China. I did appreciate the story from derjenigewelcher that's one hell of a sales pitch!

Reactions: thenut and mech500

leo6929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/5/16
This thread is turning out to be epic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Yacht-Monster

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Years ago there was the possibility of screwing ballpoint pens together in European, German-speaking countries as a job for housewives. Where have the companies outsourced this work ...?;)

Reactions: Yacht-Monster