• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Customer Rights with TD?

faat99

Horology Curious
25/10/20
Hi All, I purchased a watch from Pure Time in November 2020, it was delivered in January but then there was a mechanical hence I sent it back; since then the factory (UBF) was raid and Pure Time has recommending me to take other watches which do not meet my expectation. Given these disappointment, I have asked them for a refund however they said I can only get 50% - which in my view I can't see logically why I should be responsible for any cost due to the fault of their watch (I even paid the shipping for them).

So I am hoping to push for a refund hence curious whether you think this is a good idea. If so, any advice / legal ground I can base on? (I don't think I will exercise anything but at least good to know as a negotiation), Thanks in advance!

Best,
Jonathan

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
You do understand that this entire industry is utterly illegal, don't you? And the reason for the factory shutdowns, TD arrests and disruption to business is because it's utterly illegal. So no, you really don't have any "legal ground" for demanding a refund.

What you should have done is send the watch to someone local, or on the forum, to get it fixed, and talked to PT about a credit note for the cost of the repairs. Sending it back to China is a risk, one way or another, and having refused PT's offers to resolve the issue with a replacement, you want a full refund for a secondhand watch. It's unsurprising they've turned that down. Buying reps isn't like buying on Amazon, and occasionally you'll end up out of pocket and with a little more experience of how it works, and how it can go wrong.

P..DR..D

- Pátrún Bródúil -
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
If you buy tea leaves instead of marihuana from your local dealer, and he only refunds you 50%, do you go to the police for claiming the other 50%?

Idiots all around the world, and every morning another one plugs his cable to the internet...

Except if it's Lyons Gold Blend, then you may not need the police as it's even steven between it and marijuana :p:p
jzqhzj.jpg

Last edited:

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
The title of This thread is definitely lol funny. It’s even funnier after you read the posts. I always picture users being all flustered, saying “this is preposterous. I’ve never experienced anything like this at target or Amazon” type reactions.

Like they wander into the rep world expecting it to be like what they think shopping at an AD is like.

Sadly, for the casual users, a one off purchase can result in negative experience. That is - people who only buy one watch and done might end up in a less than desirable situation compounded by a few questionable decisions.

Honestly though if puretime is offering 1/2 (and I’m absolutely amazed they are based on what I’ve read) - take it and be thankful it is not a total loss.

Or try again with a 2nd watch but approach the situation with all you’ve learned from this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

faat99

Horology Curious
25/10/20
Thanks all for the reply, I'm not sure what is the hatred here, I was asking a genuine question. It is not about legality or not, but just about what is righteous. I am paying for a counterfeit for a lower price, and these companies are called "TD" for a reason, they stood behind their "reputation", albeit amongst a illegitimate industry. I thought I would give an update here, as we have been working together to get me a new watch, so it is not impossible irrespective of the mockery and my seemingly naivety. Anyway, thanks.

Last edited:

faat99

Horology Curious
25/10/20
Thanks all for the reply, I'm not sure what is the hatred here, I was asking a genuine question. It is not about legality or not, but just about what is righteous. I am paying for a counterfeit for a lower price, and these companies are called "TD" for a reason, they stood behind their "reputation", albeit amongst a illegitimate industry. I thought I would give an update here, as we have been working together to get me a new watch, so it is not impossible irrespective of the mockery and my seemingly naivety. Anyway, thanks.

Yacht-Monster

The entertainer previously known as Roughwatch
Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
Note to others: Never send a watch back to China for “repair”. Chances are it can be fixed for £50 via a forum watchmaker in your continent.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

I have to disagree in this situation (true that it could have been avoided had he done so), but he's been offered essentially store credit from the TD which is better than some legal shops would offer. The TD has lived up to their title as a trusted dealer by being honest and helpful, unfortunately the OP is acting like a Karen with a fake watch. If anything this is a good example of this TD being trustworthy regarding a return for repair situation.

Not meaning to be rude, just offering a different perspective.

EuroTime25

Lost Soul of Watches
Supporter
Certified
24/7/20
West USA
Let not all bash. This person is asking a ok question most seem to ask. So to answer you dont have any legal or rights in this hobby. TD are that trusted to ship and deliver what they told you. A TD is only the middle man, so when a watch has issues its not their fault but the factory that made it. The Factory dont care about issues with the watch once it leave their hands. They may help to fix a issue but its risky as they say. Try not to send a watch ever back. I always get the service and waterproofing done by TD so I have some piece of mind about any issue that may be in the watch. This way when it comes to me there is less chance of an issue. The risks are so big to send it back. Best as told here find a watchsmith to fix it. Also best to have a service done right away so you know you will be good for a while (extra cost but to me worth it). Talk to TD about a refund to repair it, or of they have a watchsmith they recomend in your country. This is where the TD part comes in and may issue some discount on purchase or future purchases. Good luck on future purchases. But should have kept the watch in the 1st place, but you were offered 50% which was your 2nd best. So good luck next time. Lessons are learned and we move on.