• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Canada Customs asking for market value tax.

n30m

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/2/19
Missouri
Hey-o,

I got a letter from Canada Customs today letting me know they've appraised the market value of my seized rep watch and want $4,000. They provide a website that you can go explain why the market value is incorrect.

Thoughts?

Reactions: axel.gold

Tt1988

9/3/19
Woah. This is interesting. When did you order the watch and from what what vendor?

Have you consulted anyone else on your options? Would there be any repercussions if you just left it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

n30m

24/2/19
Missouri
Woah. This is interesting. When did you order the watch and from what what vendor?

Have you consulted anyone else on your options? Would there be any repercussions if you just left it?

I ordered the watch about 4 months ago, a private sale.

it's been a long back and forth between FedEx and I, until Monday when FedEx said they're officially no longer responsible for delivering the package, but wouldn't say why. Then this morning I got a large (physically) letter from CBSA with the (wrong) watch model and the market value, and the request for $4,000 in tax to release it, or to visit the website to explain why the tax is incorrect. Says if I don't reply within 1 year they will destroy it. I'll probably tell them it's a replica watch for personal use, I didn't use my legal name nor my home address, and I doubt the feds are gonna come hunt me down over it anyways.

Last edited:

Tt1988

9/3/19
Assuming this is 1 watch that you purchased, I would respond with this is a purchase that I have made for personal reasons. You know it is a replica and from my knowledge, it is not illegal to buy or own a replica.

If there are further problems with retrieving the watch, I personally would walk away. At the end of the day, it is a replica.

Let me know what happens. I’ve heard of this before but have never known the outcome.

locvs

7/12/20
Germany
Assuming this is 1 watch that you purchased, I would respond with this is a purchase that I have made for personal reasons. You know it is a replica and from my knowledge, it is not illegal to buy or own a replica.

If there are further problems with retrieving the watch, I personally would walk away. At the end of the day, it is a replica.

Let me know what happens. I’ve heard of this before but have never known the outcome.

Ah yes. Telling customs that you’ve knowingly bought a replica is a great idea… :thumbsup::thumbsup:

But seriously though. Do not reply. Swallow the loss. Move on. Try contacting your dealer to see if you can get a replace a (partial) refund.

DryRun

Known Member
23/4/21
Ah yes. Telling customs that you’ve knowingly bought a replica is a great idea… :thumbsup::thumbsup:

But seriously though. Do not reply. Swallow the loss. Move on. Try contacting your dealer to see if you can get a replace a (partial) refund.
This is the answer.

Don't respond to them. I agree, it's best to reach out to the seller and have a discussion. Let the rest die where it is. Obviously, they're too stupid to make the correct assessment to begin with. How do you thing dealing with them would go?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tt1988

9/3/19
I’m not saying that’s it’s gonna go any further, but don’t you think if they wanted to really reach him they would? At the end of the day he’s probably just gonna have to swallow the loss. My goal was to attempt to get his merchandise. They already have enough personal information to get the letter to him…..

Reactions: DryRun

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
So if I understand correctly this is a private sale, So you have no customs protections. What is the watch that they are looking for that much tax on? The general rule is to not respond because by responding you are in a sense acknowledging responsibility for importing counterfeit goods. The best course of action is to do nothing because of this. The other option is of course to explain why their evaluation is incorrect using information about the genuine. I strongly suggest against doing this even if you have sent it to a different address and a different delivery name Since there's always a chance they can track it back to you through the website and payment method.

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
Telling customs you knowingly imported a counterfeit watch sounds like a terrible idea, I can’t see any good coming from that.

See if the seller will split the loss with you.

DryRun

Known Member
23/4/21
I’m not saying that’s it’s gonna go any further, but don’t you think if they wanted to really reach him they would? At the end of the day he’s probably just gonna have to swallow the loss. My goal was to attempt to get his merchandise. They already have enough personal information to get the letter to him…..

I see your intent, but all I've ever read was your best course of action is to let it die.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: rj999

TheTitleist

8/5/21
East Coast USA
If I were in the OP’s shoes as much as it sucks I would just take the L and move on as I see no good outcome now that customs is involved. The only thing I might try to do is try and explain that you don’t agree with the value they have set and to send it back to the sender and see if you can recoup your funds that way.

Reactions: axel.gold and rj999

n30m

24/2/19
Missouri
So if I understand correctly this is a private sale, So you have no customs protections. What is the watch that they are looking for that much tax on?

It's a 126619lb that they've valued at $15,500, hah.

I actually wrote them back and told them it's a prop for film production for a production company, and we were under the impression it was acceptable to import a prop watch for this purpose, however, if not feel free to destroy it.

Mike116

I'm Pretty Popular
20/11/12
Back of beyond
Ive read before that saying it wasnt ordered by you that they will generally send it back to the sender. A bit late now though but i like your reply to them. Hope it works out

Rollie4Life

28/7/19

That’s funny man. But seriously ain’t going to fly. An illegal replica whether it’s for a prop or to be used to wipe your ass is still illegal.

Never respond, as you are further digging your hole. Any angle you take besides paying the tax is likely illegal or fraudulent representation.

As one user said above, if you really want to try your luck you and keep digging down this rabbit hole you could argue with the value. Show some sort of fabricated email that it’s broken or missing parts, but seriously I wouldn’t brother.

This is why I would never buy an expensive Franken from overseas. I hope your only down $500 or so.

locvs

7/12/20
Germany
It's a 126619lb that they've valued at $15,500, hah.

I actually wrote them back and told them it's a prop for film production for a production company, and we were under the impression it was acceptable to import a prop watch for this purpose, however, if not feel free to destroy it.

Oh boy…
Prepare your anus!
[h=1]Ignorantia juris non excusat[/h]
I hope they don’t proceed with contacting Rolex and dragging you to court.

ETAWatchlover

5/7/16
When are people going to stop telling the lie that buying reps is legal .... Owning a rep that fell from the sky is legal .But knowingly buying them to own them is illegal in 90% of countries .F me dead .
Buying them on the beach in xyz country grey zone but still illegal . Putting one in your purse and go into a airplane legal .

Sending them through the post . Illegal

n30m

24/2/19
Missouri
Oh boy…
Prepare your anus!
[h=1]Ignorantia juris non excusat[/h]
I hope they don’t proceed with contacting Rolex and dragging you to court.

Could be. I mean I told them the truth, we have an after-college drama group and I'm the prop master. Canada != America. They might not send the watch, but I'd be incredibly surprised if they came after us. If they do, welp, guess we're going to jail!

Rollie4Life

28/7/19
Could be. I mean I told them the truth, we have an after-college drama group and I'm the prop master. Canada != America. They might not send the watch, but I'd be incredibly surprised if they came after us. If they do, welp, guess we're going to jail!

You can plead insanity from both angles, whether you are lieing or brought an illegal replica as a prop lol

Last edited: