• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

"Just One More Watch" Youtube Channel Was Taken Down Due to Replica Videos

DoChen1

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/1/21
These Wannabe Watchmarket influencers doing REP reviews as purists is Karen level behavior.

Any thoughts on this Adrian character on Bark and Jack destroying a Sub with a shot-gun “to trigger the rep community”?
When I see those things, I get impression that they’re just trying to kiss the ass of their AD to get more loan watches for reviews.

BTW: That vid was taken down by Youtube as well..

P..DR..D

KING OF LINKS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
"........ do you think someone/anyone should be able to use someone else's music for example, or any Intellectual property for that matter, without permission, or avoid paying a royalty?"

Hell yeah. :laughing:
jZsbOj.jpg

My disdain of Hollywood is strong. :yes:

Sadly, those artists that came up with those tunes no longer own the rights to it. The big corporations, Sony, viacom, etc do. I honestly don't care if some little guy is "Stealing" from their supposed revenue. I get your point though.
Again, YouTube can do what it wants. The smart folks will avoid "Putting all their eggs in their basket".

What is this PirateBay you speak of, I still fondly remember Napster ;)

Last edited:

marketman

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/8/07
Here’s my take on the’ Just One More Watch’ takedown. Even if the comparison reviewer was totally sincere in his reasoning, there are going to be people who previously had little idea as to the quality of reps being produced in China. So now they’re asking themselves, “ I need to find out where I can get my hands on one of those”. Bingo! A brand new rep customer has been unwittingly created.

Reactions: DryRun

mrkawasaki

Known Member
27/1/21
The Swiss really don't want ppl to know that they can buy something very similar for much less. Replica watches are like software/media piracy for sure.

If we're guessing that it was Omega behind taking that channel down, I'd be tempted to buy an Omega rep :)

Alan Bourdillion Traherne

Renowned Member
6/3/21
CONUS
I agree that it was a 'shot across the bow' move and that bigger forces are involved at utoob. I would not be surprised if one of the watchmakers contacted Wojcicki and 'gently urged' her to look into the 'this rep is really good' vids that pepper utoob. The impetus being to shut down information to the consumer about how really good reps are becoming. Jody's channel just happened to be the one that got chosen. Notice that other various watch channels took down some of their rep comparison vids soon after the incident. Utoob probably sent them an advisory letter with lots of lawyerspeak saying that they could be subject to the same removal should they continue posting comparison vids. To UT's credit they did return the channel to Jody but the message was sent.

Bottom line is Utoob is NOT your friend and if they don't like the content you post on their platform, they will shut you down. But as long as they are a private business and offer hosting your content on their platform, they do have a right to censure content. And monetized channels have a decision to make regarding revenue generating content and whether that content might violate UT TOS. My personal thought is that they should be regulated like a public utility but that is a discussion for another day...

Reactions: DryRun and P..DR..D

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
I must admit that I like them. It intrigues how much attention to detail goes into replicas. While others whine about prices of reps I am still amazed the pric a have not soared out of control.

DryRun

Known Member
23/4/21
I must admit that I like them. It intrigues how much attention to detail goes into replicas. While others whine about prices of reps I am still amazed the pric a have not soared out of control.
I'd say that prices have already risen considerably, but if they raise much more, in some instances it's not cost prohibitive to buy a rep anymore, really. Of course, we could argue that, but I don't really want to. But, I get what you mean. I love how accurate some of these tend to be.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
If a Rolex or Panerai costs $8K, and a homage or rep costs $500 at 95% of the quality, you know that that gen could be sold for $1K. The remaining $7K is development, name recognition, and extra profit.

WolfKissed

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/6/21
California
The Swiss really don't want ppl to know that they can buy something very similar for much less. Replica watches are like software/media piracy for sure.

If we're guessing that it was Omega behind taking that channel down, I'd be tempted to buy an Omega rep :)

Get the Speedmaster Dark Side of The Moon in Black Black! ;)

Just got QC photos of mine and man o man... beauuuuty!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DryRun

Known Member
23/4/21
Get the Speedmaster Dark Side of The Moon in Black Black! ;)

Just got QC photos of mine and man o man... beauuuuty!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I just received mine for an NTTD, I'm curious as to how it is in person.

The DSOTM is an absolute beauty BTW.

Last edited:
Reactions: WolfKissed

WolfKissed

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/6/21
California
I just received mine for an NTTD, I'm curious as to how it is in person.

The DSOTM is an absolute beauty BTW.

Pics when it comes in!!

I’ve asked PT if they got any other DSOTM from factory as QC photos showed slight alignment offset on dial. If they don’t have another though I’m just going to accept and have it serviced as soon as I get to correct. With that corrected it looks like it could be near damn perfect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DryRun

Known Member
23/4/21
Pics when it comes in!!

I’ve asked PT if they got any other DSOTM from factory as QC photos showed slight alignment offset on dial. If they don’t have another though I’m just going to accept and have it serviced as soon as I get to correct. With that corrected it looks like it could be near damn perfect!

I assume yours will be sporting the 7750? Do you have much faith in that movement? I'm trying to decide whether I want to pull the trigger on a Portugieser with the same 7750. I've read varying reviews. Some say just don't use the Chrono often, others say theirs has worked for year's, and others say it down after two weeks. Of course, YMMV. Although, it looks like you can upgrade to an ETA 7750.

From my understanding they're a little harder to service, but nothing new to skilled watchsmiths. So, I feel that a service wouldn't be a bad idea.

Last edited:

WolfKissed

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/6/21
California
I assume yours will be sporting the 7750? Do you have much faith in that movement? I'm trying to decide whether I want to pull the trigger on a Portugieser with the same 7750. I've read varying reviews. Some say just don't use the Chrono often, others say theirs has worked for year's, and others say it down after two weeks. Of course, YMMV. Although, it looks like you can upgrade to an ETA 7750.

From my understanding they're a little harder to service, but nothing new to skilled watchsmiths. So, I feel that a service wouldn't be a bad idea.

Yeah it’s the Asian 7750 but I couldn’t really opine on it as I don’t have enough experience with it. I’ve HEARD that often if you get them serviced when you receive them and keep it up every 2-3 years like any watch, they can last a very long time no prob. I’ve also read that they can be switched out… who knows… as the DSOTM is my grail watch, maybe I’ll consider it. I will get a reputable watch smith to advise me on it first though.

DryRun

Known Member
23/4/21
Yeah it’s the Asian 7750 but I couldn’t really opine on it as I don’t have enough experience with it. I’ve HEARD that often if you get them serviced when you receive them and keep it up every 2-3 years like any watch, they can last a very long time no prob. I’ve also read that they can be switched out… who knows… as the DSOTM is my grail watch, maybe I’ll consider it. I will get a reputable watch smith to advise me on it first though.

Yeah, like we've already discussed, I have a hard time servicing a movement where the service costs more than it. My current plan of action is to let my Asian movements run until issue, then upgrade the movements as long as I can find them prior to their death. If I can't find an upgrade, my obvious choice would be to upgrade.

I'm thinking I'll just pull the trigger on the IWC and just seeing how it goes. I know a lot of companies from Calibri to Omega use the 7750 platform, it's considered one of the most widely used platforms.