• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Timepiece Gentleman. Scam??

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06
I don't care what anyone says, his apology felt sincere to me. Takes a lot to make an apology like that.

For that, he earned my respect.

Hopefully, he will come back to the sense and continue to do the things that attracted many watch enthusiasts.

Alan Bourdillion Traherne

Renowned Member
6/3/21
CONUS
I don't care what anyone says, his apology felt sincere to me. Takes a lot to make an apology like that.

For that, he earned my respect.

Hopefully, he will come back to the sense and continue to do the things that attracted many watch enthusiasts.

Sure, but one standard of doing good business is that you don't put yourself or your organization in the position of having to make a sincere apology. Especially to your customers.

Reactions: jiro

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
Personally I don’t get all the hate for them.

I’ve enjoyed their content and IF they do continue to release videos, I’ll continue to watch them.

One thing it has taught me though is to never piss off the internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jiro and P..DR..D

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
All in all the thing didn't seem that fake, at least when he talks about going to jail you can see the nervousness an genuine fear in his eyes and in his body language, how he scratches and tightens his hands etc...

oh well, we will see!

P..DR..D

- Pátrún Bródúil -
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
He tried, he failed, he apologised, so for that I have to tip my hat, he did seem genuine.

At least he tried though, and a fellow Irishman once said:

Ever tried. Ever Failed. No matter.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

I found their content entertaining so curious what lies ahead for them.

Reactions: jiro

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
He tried, he failed, he apologised, so for that I have to tip my hat, he did seem genuine.

Excellent quote sir. I'm a huge, HUGE fan of Samuel Beckett.

Reactions: P..DR..D

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
Is there some form of TLDW for this?

I dont really get all the hulabaloo and can’t bear watching a bunch of 30min long videos of mens faces giving opinions either.

Adrian / Bark and Jack said they were genuises / Oisin / Timeless watch channel said they are dicks - so which is it?

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14

Never wrong with trying and had failed (especially for good intentions), but when it impacted on people's emotional and anxiety (investors and other people who have consignments with them) for self gains? He was told he messed up (after that scandal vid now taken off by them) go on to the offensive by deflecting the wrongs to others. That didn't work, then finally forced to say I am "sorry" and uses sympathy as a vehicle to win people back.

Remember what he tried to achieve were self gains with the expense of others; he wasn't doing it for others, the "charity" angle was a distraction. The "sorry" is the last resort. Trust me he's very sorry and sincere cos he wants his life back after the expense on others.

My dad is a watch dealer for over 4 decades, he had told me watch dealers primary objective is to establish "trust" amongst its peers and customers. This trust doesn't happen over night and takes time and experience to establish, is a honoury code where once broken it will take years to come back. There's nothing wrong to admit you were wrong but the intention and costs on others for that self entitled gain, I'm sorry I really can't trust him.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

P..DR..D

- Pátrún Bródúil -
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
Never wrong with trying and had failed (especially for good intentions), but when it impacted on people's emotional and anxiety (investors and other people who have consignments with them) for self gains? He was told he messed up (after that scandal vid now taken off by them) go on to the offensive by deflecting the wrongs to others. That didn't work, then finally forced to say I am "sorry" and uses sympathy as a vehicle to win people back.

Remember what he tried to achieve were self gains with the expense of others; he wasn't doing it for others, the "charity" angle was a distraction. The "sorry" is the last resort. Trust me he's very sorry and sincere cos he wants his life back after the expense on others.

My dad is a watch dealer for over 4 decades, he had told me watch dealers primary objective is to establish "trust" amongst its peers and customers. This trust doesn't happen over night and takes time and experience to establish, is a honoury code where once broken it will take years to come back. There's nothing wrong to admit you were wrong but the intention and costs on others for that self entitled gain, I'm sorry I really can't trust him.

All very valid points Sir & I can't disagree with you.

No doubt it will be very difficult to win the trust back, if that's even possible, but that's for his clients, investors and his partners in the wider watch community to decide on.
Am sure he'll argue no one actually lost 1c, up to them whether to consign/deal with him ever again.

I personally wouldn't trust him to replace a watch battery for me (I now have RWI for all my shiny toys anyway so what do I need a grey market dealer for ;)) but the content is entertaining and I am curious how it'll turn out.

Was he forced into the apology, most likely, but it did seem genuine. He had to do something. Like him or not, he seems like a hustler, and imo, that is an admirable trait.

He works hard, he plays hard. This time though, he seriously underestimated the backlash and overestimated his own self-worth.

Will he / they return to their former highs, surpass them, or ultimately fail, not a clue, only time will tell :eek:hwell:

Reactions: Ecender

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
All very valid points Sir & I can't disagree with you.

No doubt it will be very difficult to win the trust back, if that's even possible, but that's for his clients, investors and his partners in the wider watch community to decide on.
Am sure he'll argue no one actually lost 1c, up to them whether to consign/deal with him ever again.

I personally wouldn't trust him to replace a watch battery for me (I now have RWI for all my shiny toys anyway so what do I need a grey market dealer for ;)) but the content is entertaining and I am curious how it'll turn out.

Was he forced into the apology, most likely, but it did seem genuine. He had to do something. Like him or not, he seems like a hustler, and imo, that is an admirable trait.

He works hard, he plays hard. This time though, he seriously underestimated the backlash and overestimated his own self-worth.

Will he / they return to their former highs, surpass them, or ultimately fail, not a clue, only time will tell :eek:hwell:
Thanks for your reply.

I echo you about the hustler element, I remembered when my friend and I spoke earlier to discsss the channel the first thing I have said to him was, Anthony is a hustler. I have been growing up with watches in my entire life and I know a lot of watch dealers. One thing I have noticed for the last 10 + years is, the younger dealers tends to be more hustlers than dealers. What I mean by that is, a lot of older watch dealers genuinely love watches, they talk about watches socially (I have set in enough lunches and dinners to be bored by them when I was younger). They are collectors and they don't "flex" their collection like they do with the younger dealers. Being subtle is the key as TBH they might get robbed (my dad had several times and it was targeted).

For the European members here, pre covid I used to go to the Munich watch show several times a year. I remembered I said to dad in 2019 that it is getting "rougher" every year, and he asked why? I said you now get younger guys at hotel breakfast who will try to jump the queue at the omelette stand and "pretend" they didn't know there was a queue. Now imagine trying to deal with them in cash when the amounts are ususlly 20-30+K EUR. I will be scared!

Ecender

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
26/10/18
Miami, Fl
For me real truth about this move isn’t clear enough.
They obviously had Logistic, operation and accounting problems.
They really had expensive pieces lost inside their premises, closed bank accounts, fail inventory status. The last is incomprehensible, and at the same time, their expenses are crazy. Something IRS see very close.
I like this channel for its content dealing with watches and the business perspective, I just hope they find the path of success that characterized them

Reactions: jiro and P..DR..D

Falacer

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/3/21
They had the potential to really become one of the best “day in the life” series, and the first to my knowledge that revolves around watches. It’s a shame they started so genuine, and ended up becoming the “keeping up with the kardashians” of the watch world.