• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Timepiece Gentleman. Scam??

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
I saw that yeah, and in fairness, kinda have to say credit where it's due, they played the internet/ social media like an instrument, to their, and only their, tune.

While I may not agree with all of it (promoting their brand at the different charities for one) for the most part, I don't think people can deny it seemed to work as they intended - brand awareness & exposure (some negative of course, but they don't seem to care, and people have short memories)

Once they stay away from RWI, I'm all good with whatever they're at :p

Really hoped Noobfactory perfomed the same stunt with the Daytona lmao

P..DR..D

KING OF LINKS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
Really hoped Noobfactory perfomed the same stunt with the Daytona lmao

Very true, it'd be class if they're just on a sabbatical, just chillin somewhere, catching up on their reading, now I'd forgive that Sir;)
And on their return, I'd happily grab one of each :pcsam:

Reactions: Stuvetjee

RedBearrd

Wrist Admirer
Certified
22/11/17
The Netherlands 🇳🇱
Watch a small part of their latest vid but could not hold interest long. All crusading against social media and how so many people thought they were scammers, oh how great it feels to be righteous.

It was just a bad move imo by going dark. Scaring clients and counterparties. Just my 2 cents

P..DR..D

KING OF LINKS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
Watch a small part of their latest vid but could not hold interest long. All crusading against social media and how so many people thought they were scammers, oh how great it feels to be righteous.

It was just a bad move imo by going dark. Scaring clients and counterparties. Just my 2 cents

I agree with ya Sir, but felt it'd be a little hypocritical of me commenting at all if I didnt see it.

There was an awful lot of self praise, and imho, self-praise is no praise, not to mention the shameless advertising, but I will give credit as they played the internet brilliantly.

It was like a soap opera, what's happening next, and went viral to a scale that would dwarf Jenni Elle's comparison video :eek:nthephone:

Time will tell the effect, if any, on their brand / reputation, and maybe the charity angle will insulate the damage some (pledge of 5% of profits etc going forward and the auctioning of a few rolex) :eek:hwell:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Well I seem to be in a minority, as I quite like these guys. Admittedly I've only watched a couple of their previous videos - but the first one where Anthony describes his background seemed quite honest and pretty sincere. So, I watched the first 20 minutes of this "reveal" and then skimmed through the rest. And again, what they've done appears to me to be quite clever. No one got harmed, they're working with and giving to charities, and the value of that will only be coloured by the viewers' cynicism level.

Also, their next video is with Producer Michael... who is utterly compelling viewing for me! :D

P..DR..D

KING OF LINKS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
No one got harmed, they're working with and giving to charities, and the value of that will only be coloured by the viewers' cynicism level.

And here was me thinking ya were a cynic too ;)

I'd say the walking satire that is 'Archie Luxury' is already teeing up another few videos :p

All I want is a parody one of Mike, then I'll be satisfied :lol3:

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
Well I seem to be in a minority, as I quite like these guys. Admittedly I've only watched a couple of their previous videos - but the first one where Anthony describes his background seemed quite honest and pretty sincere. So, I watched the first 20 minutes of this "reveal" and then skimmed through the rest. And again, what they've done appears to me to be quite clever. No one got harmed, they're working with and giving to charities, and the value of that will only be coloured by the viewers' cynicism level.

Also, their next video is with Producer Michael... who is utterly compelling viewing for me! :D

i like their video's too, still subscribed as i like the style of video's.

the one who could dissapear forever for me would be that clown Archie. Guy is litterally living on two braincells with 3 words in his vocabulary...

Last edited:
Reactions: P..DR..D

Beone21

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
10/12/10
Explanation is up. Mkt stunt to raise awareness. Won't spoil it for viewers.

I think it's cool, but one of those "this escalated quickly" kind of stunt.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G973F met Tapatalk

RedBearrd

Wrist Admirer
Certified
22/11/17
The Netherlands 🇳🇱
I agree with ya Sir, but felt it'd be a little hypocritical of me commenting at all if I didnt see it.

There was an awful lot of self praise, and imho, self-praise is no praise, not to mention the shameless advertising, but I will give credit as they played the internet brilliantly.

It was like a soap opera, what's happening next, and went viral to a scale that would dwarf Jenni Elle's comparison video :eek:nthephone:

Time will tell the effect, if any, on their brand / reputation, and maybe the charity angle will insulate the damage some (pledge of 5% of profits etc going forward and the auctioning of a few rolex) :eek:hwell:

Ask yourself: how far would you go for charity?

3bf48d251363790ee9dc5bad1742e71c.jpg

Alan Bourdillion Traherne

Renowned Member
6/3/21
CONUS
Many here will have cognitive dissonance after today. It’s easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they were fooled. Question everything you see online, your sources are controlled.

^ Truer words have never been spoken.

"But he said he needed $10k buy the paint for my house. He promised he would be back tomorrow!!"

Last edited:
Reactions: GingerBubba

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
From a youtube comment:

"So, let me get this straight... At the same time, in a matter of hours, you shut down all your social profiles (including your personal pages), you shut down your website, you close your store leaving it with a partially erased sign and not a warning whatsoever, and you blame people for thinking that something fishy was going on? You staged everything to look EXACTLY like a fishy thing, and then you're gonna blame people because "you see, we were doing charity, why on earth would you think differently?"... It would be like me leaving secretely my house with big red stains all over the place and then blaming the people who enter for thinking that something bad has happened... That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. And stop talking about "social medias", you have also a PHYSICAL store that went dark without a warning and without a sign... you know, those "sorry we're closed for the week" kind of things that normal storekeepers hang up when they have to close unexpectedly? Oh but no, social medias are EVIL... Yeah right. Time to say goodbye to TPG."

Retarded way to exploit charity in order to boost your own (already fragile) social media image.

Reactions: jiro and RedBearrd

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
This vid should tell you all you need to know about these guys. Every sentence they said would get them thrown out of any business meeting and boardroom by professional marketing people. My counsel would be run away as fast as you can from these jokers.
I’m getting the feeling you’re not a fan. But like them or not, this stunt had exactly the desired result - and I think professional marketing people would recognise that and appreciate the strategy.

EDIT: Oops. What a difference another 24 hours makes. It's probably fortunate I never went into marketing. Cynicism wins again!

Last edited:
Reactions: P..DR..D

Ams55557

Renowned Member
16/3/18
Re: charity, and if you are into the Talmud. The Talmud says: 'Charity is equal in importance to all other commandments combined.' And the topic of anonymous giving is highly discussed:

(From some website):

The 12th-century Jewish philosopher Maimonides (Rambam) went so far as to codify the various levels of charity-giving, ranging from the most honorable form of charity to the least. The lowest form of charity is giving unwillingly or out of pity, while the highest is helping to sustain a person before he becomes impoverished or dependent on others – in other words, providing the recipient with the means of earning a livelihood, such as a substantial gift or helping him find employment.

Maimonides also argued that greater anonymity in charity giving lends itself to minimizing both humiliation of the recipient and hubris of the giver.

But even that idea is and was contested as openly giving has the benefit of encouraging others to give. We this in practice all the time at charity auctions and the like. The human competitive spirit works also in charity.

So, charity itself is the most important, outside of that we can force rank. But I can say that I haven’t contributed anything like what tpc did in a very long time(if ever). I’m pretty sure many of the haters are in that same boat.

Alan Bourdillion Traherne

Renowned Member
6/3/21
CONUS
I’m getting the feeling you’re not a fan. But like them or not, this stunt had exactly the desired result - and I think professional marketing people would recognise that and appreciate the strategy.

Nope, not a fan, And I retired out of a successful marketing career to start a new career. If the desired point was to ruin their professional position and destroy credibility, then yup. It had the desired effect. Anyone who does any business with them is, IMHO, a poor judge of business character and has no sense of professionalism. YMMV but I ain't takin any chances with the likes of them.

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
But like them or not, this stunt had exactly the desired result - and I think professional marketing people would recognise that and appreciate the strategy.

Did it though? the video had over 10k dislikes and less than a third of that likes, (before them asking youtube to remove dislikes for "targeted harassment", if this isn't scummy enough).

Then they managed to fund only 5k (some of which I bet were donated by themselves in order to get the campain started) out of the expected 250k.

And now they completely deleted the youtube video, since they understood how bad that move was and they didn't want to get any more bad publicity AHAHAHAH

Reactions: GrandmasterChime

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Look what happens when you do some digging:

They deleted the youtube video, since they understood that the whole thing was a fiasco, and they just managed to gather around 2% of their charity fund objective.

Then, they posted a half assed clarification on their social media, which was then deleted as well LMAOOOOO

jZcnS8.jpg

Now, let me translate this wholesome post for you:

In the "clarification" you can see how Anthony UNSURPRISINGLY blames others for "bringing up too much negativity", as if it's someone else's fault if people react EXACTLY as Anthony expected them to react.
It's like starting a fire and then blaming the woods for burning.
How detached from reality can you be?

He then said that since he can't see this negativity dying down, he removed the video. He basically can't accept his mistakes and he prefers removing the video (and the fund raising) completely.
He also states how all negativity will be blocked out, but states that constructive criticism will be allowed (we'll have to see, since we all know how egocentric Anthony is)

This is a half assed apology that was then removed as well LMAOOOOOO

They just can't own up to their mistakes uh? Anthony keeps trying to invalidate criticism received by people by always throwing the "but they are not/never been our customers" card. Also he keeps portraying the negativity as a purposeful attack on their business that has no merit and is done out of context. What a fool.

P.S. This is their reddit account, have fun reading their dissonant comments: https://www.reddit.com/user/urbantimepieces/

P.P.S. And just to add some more fuel to the fire, here's the alleged testimony of a handicapped intern there:

jZc8eK.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Behike