• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

If you ask yourself „Should i get a full revision on my brand new watch, to make it more reliable?“

HootschiGootschi

„105 OR 1=1“
Patron
Certified
6/2/19
HG in da house
While there are a lot of opinions existing in the whole wide internet, based on more or less experience and i get asked this question several times,
i would say here is no serious „Yes or No“.

Taking into account what i discovered in the last two decades, there is always a chance that you are out of luck and get a new watch with a faulty / dirty movement.
In these cases the answer is fairly „yes“ to go for it.

On the other hand:

If you buy a new car (even the cheapest ones), would you directly make an appointment with the garage to get it serviced (while not even drive it a few miles)?
I would assume the answer is „No“.

So why doing this with a new watch (unless there is any kind of issue with it)?

Just my two cents

Last edited:

tribal

Renowned Member
27/3/06
Germany
That's also my opinion.
Make service when it fails or something is wrong the movement.
If not, wear and enjoy it.

Gesendet von meinem Mi MIX 2S mit Tapatalk

Last edited:

MSC19

Renowned Member
Supporter
8/5/20
Earth
Ok, agree with your statement. But what about if you have these Asian clones of a non ETA movement and you cannont find parts for repairs or cannot buy the movement alone? :confused:

Reactions: Komnenus

HootschiGootschi

„105 OR 1=1“
Patron
Certified
6/2/19
HG in da house
Ok, agree with your statement. But what about if you have these Asian clones of a non ETA movement and you cannont find parts for repairs or cannot buy the movement alone? :confused:

I’m not sure i get that question...

Is it about „to prevent from getting damaged“, while not being able to get spares?
If so, which Asian movement you think about?

I would say, there is always a way to find spare parts or replacement movements.
(Might be that you need to go a kinda redesign way to archieve it in rare cases, such as „the rubbish“ 2836 CHS - where you end up replacing it with a 2836 ICHS)

MSC19

Renowned Member
Supporter
8/5/20
Earth
I’m not sure i get that question...

Is it about „to prevent from getting damaged“, while not being able to get spares?
If so, which Asian movement you think about?

I would say, there is always a way to find spare parts or replacement movements.
(Might be that you need to go a kinda redesign way to archieve it in rare cases, such as „the rubbish“ 2836 CHS - where you end up replacing it with a 2836 ICHS)

For you as a watchmaker there is no issue...if you can be a little bit creative then all problems can be solved i suppose...but how many as you are, willing to work/fix clone movements and how much a person have to wait until all the issues are sorted? Will it be cheaper than a service at the first place? At this question you know the answer better than me.

About the car example, which works almost to all new items (our hobby is one of the exceptions), there is a tiny difference: WARRANTY.....

Better to prevent than to fix. At least this is my humble opinion...

HootschiGootschi

„105 OR 1=1“
Patron
Certified
6/2/19
HG in da house
Yes & no....

A full inspection on a brand new car will not prevent (e.g.) the crankshaft, rod, cam, valves, bearings, etc. from failing (because of production issues, etc.)
shortly after.

New Movements mostly (if so) run into issues caused by production problems of the parts, rather than getting damaged caused by dirt, lack of oil, etc.

Note:
I won’t say that badly assembled & dirty / dry movements never been an issue..
but mostly it’s going with failing parts caused by bad material, wrong measurements etc. as such.

These are Chinese movements.