• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The purpose of QC pictures

Ibn_Hasaf

Renowned Member
26/6/11
QC pics waste forum resources.

I suspect that some post QC pictures a s a way of saying, "look at the watch I have on the way." Is it a waste of resources? Sure it is; but then, so is owning a second watch, and pretty much the whole of the internet.

malarrosa

Horology Curious
1/5/13
learning...

I have a really noob question: I choose some watch, I order it and pay it, and... what happens if I´m disappointed whith QC? (if it is not the same as in the dealer´s page or/and have any new fault, etc...)

:wyliehelp:

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
I have a really noob question: I choose some watch, I order it and pay it, and... what happens if I´m disappointed whith QC? (if it is not the same as in the dealer´s page or/and have any new fault, etc...)

If I understand your question, you're asking what to do if the watch arrives and it is not to your liking? That depends on what feature of the watch does not satisfy your expectations. If you order a GMT II and get a Sub, then you arrange to get a replacement or a price adjustment. If you find a glaring defect, you might arrange for the delaer to send parts so you can get it modified by a local watchmaker.

From what I have read, sending a watch back to China is risky and the resolution process can take months to complete. I have not done this.

Choose your dealer, then choose your watch is the best advice that I can give.

Best of luck.

flyr

Renowned Member
15/9/12

If the watch hasn't shipped and the watch is not what you ordered and paid for ,you can reject it and the TD will source the one you ordered, that's what QC is for.

ehhcl3537rwi

9/7/13

I have the same question as I am going through this scenario now.
I ordered a watch, it looks like there is a noticeable scratch or smudge on the dial. I asked the TD about it with no response as of 4 days ago. What happens now?

I would have thought that the TD would open it up and clean it or get another watch.

But I just don't know, and also I don't even know now if I'm allowed to post an annotated photograph pointing out the flaws on this forum.

ehhcl3537rwi

9/7/13
Purpose of QC pic:

2) identifying any serious flaws in the item

I really don't understand who defines 'serious' flaw.
There some self proclaimed 'experts' on this forum who think a 2cm scratch or smudge on a dial is nothing to worry about, whereas usually the original poster and others think otherwise.

There are some (very vocal in this thread) who think that no QC pics should be given at all and they just want all customers to lower their expectations and deal with ANY flaws even if they weren't present in the prototype shown in the TDs site.

The latter should not be replying in QC pic threads at all. In my opinion they are not replying in a balanced or fair manner to TD or customer. If a seperate forum or thread title keeps them out I am all for it. Currently I'd like to see some sort of sticky detailing the QC policy on this forum.

ahw676

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/11/08
But I just don't know, and also I don't even know now if I'm allowed to post an annotated photograph pointing out the flaws on this forum.

If you have a specific question about a flaw you see, then certainly you are free to ask.

What we want to avoid is the practice of someone posting a series of QC pics on the forum and asking everyone "what do you think?" without having any sense of he himself thinks of it.

ehhcl3537rwi

9/7/13
If you have a specific question about a flaw you see, then certainly you are free to ask.

What we want to avoid is the practice of someone posting a series of QC pics on the forum and asking everyone "what do you think?" without having any sense of he himself thinks of it.

Well thats an interesting, so QC pics are allowed if I annotate and point out specific flaws. I do think thought that if I anyone does that the chances of being flamed are pretty high for just about anyone which is a shame. I don't really see members supporting members here quite the opposite.

Its almost as if the "expert" members have all the watches they need or have developed 'special relationships' with the TDs so they don't care or have to worry about flaws, whereas when a 'Noob' is upset over rust, or smudges or some smaller but noticeable flaws they aren't entitled to have those flaws remedied.

I see very few complaint threads with included QC pics and in almost all of them the user got flamed for being too picky.

ehhcl3537rwi

9/7/13

Well thats an interesting thank you for the clarification. So QC pics are allowed if I annotate and point out specific flaws. I do think thought that if anyone does that the chances of being flamed are pretty high for just about anyone which is a shame. I don't really see members supporting members here quite the opposite.

I see very few complaint threads with included QC pics and in almost all of them the user got flamed for being too picky.

MoreCowBell

5/9/13
Well thats an interesting, so QC pics are allowed if I annotate and point out specific flaws. I do think thought that if I anyone does that the chances of being flamed are pretty high for just about anyone which is a shame. I don't really see members supporting members here quite the opposite.

Its almost as if the "expert" members have all the watches they need or have developed 'special relationships' with the TDs so they don't care or have to worry about flaws, whereas when a 'Noob' is upset over rust, or smudges or some smaller but noticeable flaws they aren't entitled to have those flaws remedied.

Don't let the possibility of being "flamed" stop you from posting what you want.

In my opinion, QC pictures are really just extra effort on the part of the TD to make sure that the correct watch has been selected for you and that there are no serious cosmetic issues with the watch.

"Serious" generally means that anyone who looks at the pictures and sees that the watch is either 1) not the one they ordered or 2) there is a very noticeable defect has good cause to reject the watch and SHOULD notify their TD and have the watch changed or find some resolution.

Having said that, QC pictures really are not the end all be all. I like receiving them but if there's no "serious" issue then I accept the watch.

Keep in mind that all members (new and old) care about "flaws" in the watches. Indeed, most senior members here have dedicated weeks if not months to improving guides with the specific purpose of keeping everyone up to date on what flaws will be addressed in new watch versions. Sure, some veterans have watch repair savvy but c'mon...just cause you're a vet around here doesn't mean you'll accept less. Actually, I think it's the other way around.

Lastly, don't worry about being flamed. If you do and you deserve it you'll know. If you didn't deserve to be flamed then you'll have people like me (and others) come to your defense..

Good luck!

MoreCowBell

5/9/13
Well thats an interesting thank you for the clarification. So QC pics are allowed if I annotate and point out specific flaws. I do think thought that if anyone does that the chances of being flamed are pretty high for just about anyone which is a shame. I don't really see members supporting members here quite the opposite.

Just throwing this out there.....could you imagine if everyone put up QC pics and asked "what do you think?"

They might get a dozen or more answers as diverse and different as the members themselves. And the poster soliciting the opinions might be swayed very easily by just one member if that member thought the watch was sub-par (even though the other 11 might say "accept it").

Do you realize how difficult this might make it on the TD? Having to go back and forth for watches that are imperfect? Sure, TDs should change ones that have serious issues but small imperfections should pass muster - replicas are NOT perfect.

And all this extra effort in the pursuit of the perfect watch might just drive TDs crazy or out of business.

What it comes down to is a balancing of expectations. Consider the business that you're deciding to participate in and the risk the TD's are taking to get you what you want. It's NOT LEGAL and for this reason it's expected that expectations should be tempered regarding quality, speed, communication, etc.

For the most part, however, people get what they pay for and the admin people here help to ensure that the quality stays top-notch.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State

Can you imagine that experienced rep buyers deal with cosmetic concerns and complete mistakes directly with their dealer, rather than start a thread that asks, "What should I do now?"

Getting flamed for being picky is not the point, really. Using forum resources to get easily-available answers rather than do one's own simple research is the point. Some members are quick to call out the latter behavior. Justifiably so in some instances, IMHO. Flaming is not gentlemanly, in any case. But it is what it is, here in the Intertubes.

Just my $0.02 USD as always.

ehhcl3537rwi

9/7/13
Can you imagine that experienced rep buyers deal with cosmetic concerns and complete mistakes directly with their dealer, rather than start a thread that asks, "What should I do now?"

Getting flamed for being picky is not the point, really. Using forum resources to get easily-available answers rather than do one's own simple research is the point. Some members are quick to call out the latter behavior. Justifiably so in some instances, IMHO. Flaming is not gentlemanly, in any case. But it is what it is, here in the Intertubes.

Just my $0.02 USD as always.

Well it is implicit that before I would post a problem in the forum I would try to resolve it with the TD. That is really not the issue, I am perfectly capable of viewing for myself carefully my QC pics and emailing an annotated picture to the TD.

To give you an example this watch is showing 5 o'clock but the datewheel 3 is aligned towards the top. I have no experience to know if this is normal or not for this watch and it isn't easy to google search for this kind of thing either. The Genuine IWCs have very specific date change timing near 24:00 but I don't know if the same holds true for an Asian 2892.

I have asked the TD to send me a photograph with the watch with the same date and time as the picture listed on their website to see if its aligned. I would however be very helpful to me if someone in the forums could tell me if that is a normal alignment or not. However what I don't need is some A****** telling me I am being too picky about a potential issue like this.

attachment.php

Odyseus

Renowned Member
1/11/11
I would hope that this (& other threads ) don't degenerate :( I had enough of that shit over at RWG !!!
I wish that TD's actually check the functions of a watch before sending out. I had two DOA that both had a defect on the balance wheel jewel that would make it stop after a minute or so. I don't think it would take much of an effort to set a watch to 11pm and let it run until the date changes??

Slydini

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/10/13
OK Hope I don't get abuse for this.

I purchased this watch from TD : http://www.pureti.me/product/richard-mille-rm036-ssblack-on-rubber-strap-a23j/

The product description describes the movement as automatic at 28800vph

Having been sent my QC pics today one image shows the watch in the tester with the beat at 21600 which was not as described on the sales page.

I have emailed back but as of yet no reply.

Anyone got any advice on or experience with this before?

Al

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Well, it's no secret that product description does not always jive with the actual watch in hand. More than likely it is a 21.6 movement.But I have to ask, is that a drawing on the watch? It looks like the gears are drawn over the movement LoL.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Don't think so but could be wrong.
This thread has some close ups: http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php?t=170319

My humble opinion is if the beat rate is the only thing that bugs you about the watch then I wouldnt worry about it. That might not be the right answer but then I think the QC pics should be done away with entirely and especially showing the timing of a replica watch is just silly to me.

Am I losing it or do the gears look like drawings on this movement...Weird.

img_9181.jpg