• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The purpose of QC pictures

Pakz

Renowned Member
15/4/11
Well, I believe that QC pics are interesting useful and so on.
But initially I saw them as a way to make sure that there are no blatant flaws that you cannot live with, like index alignment, blemishes, deep scratches. Better seeing that before and then being a happy customer than one that complains forever after... Particularly since what's unacceptable for one will be OK for another, and in most cases the rejected watch can be proposed without even seeing a watchsmith of any description.
Now I'm happy for QC pics for an entirely different reason. I recently ordered (well recently, now it starts to be long ago, 2 weeks) an AP Royal Oak jumbo from one of our TDs. After 4 or 5 days, I got the QC pics, and man, I immediately saw that this wasn't the model I was ordering... It was the old "automatic".
They're quite similar obviously, but not the same watch at all, and in reps terms the jumbo is much much better (save for the display back which is not a real problem to me).
The QC pics saved me from receiving the wrong watch! (But the added delay probably ruins my hopes of getting it for Christmas... )

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Personally I absolutely agree QC pics should not accompany a request for help with tells...

But I do think the fact we have a large community of people, some of whom have much better eyes for detail and experience that they can share means that posting and just asking if anyone run a second set of eyes over their QC pics doesn't hurt anyone...

I mean we all understand the TDs aren't exactly full staffed department stores so it's not reasonable they catch every detail on every watch... but that's where we can help out as a community... with thousands of paris of eyes avaialble, if only a few glances at a QC pic they may catch some detail other eyes missed...

We have all experience that before right? You spend an hour examining something and someone glances and says "hey whats that thing" you missed?

In fact I think it's a boon to TDs because think how much time and money they will save when the problem is ID'd whiel it's still on that side of the ocean?

Crooked hand? Dust on the dial? Slightly crooked indecy? All these are a few minutes and a few bucks for one of the zillions of watch shop guys I am sure they see every day.

But once it's shipped... now they need to refund the buyer the cost of going to a real repair shop over here... often much more expensive and more time consuming. Especially considering the TDs probably deal with these guys on a daily basis and your average joe here probably has to spend minutes or hours searching and finding a guy who will work on reps and then who knows what quality or cost involved.

I firmly believe there are peopel who ENJOY scrutinizing QC pics like a puzzle or challenge...

So I think realistically posting a QC pic and asking for input shouldn't be frowned upon. You aren't forcing anyone else to do anything for you (they dno't have to) and those who do help might enjoy the process.

At the end of the day it can very easily be a benefit for everyone involved, buyer (who gets extra eyes on his potential purchase) the dealer (who has an opportunity to fix the problem before shipping while it's still easy and cheap to do) and anyone who helps out as they may enjoy the process and it's a learning experience for everyone who does...

I know seeing comments on QC posts has helped me think to look for things I wouldn't have before... the Tag Carrera DayDate with minute indexes mis matched... that is now somehting I will know to look for. And even better the dealer noted that's how the batch is coming out - so now we know somethign else about this model that may well save the dealer countless numbers of returns or unhappy customers down the road just like knowing the V2 Skylands had bad lume dots meant people buying were ok with the imprefection beasue they went in knowing.

I dunno... I have learned how to spot a lot of tells by threads wehre pepole ask how accurate a certain model is and similarly with the QC posts.

We all want everyone to get better at the process and learn to do it themselves, but I think actually these "Help with my QC" posts help people do exactly that.

I know that after looking at a few dozen such posts and the replies I am MUCH better prepaired and maybe even coulod help someone else out when it's their turn to ask for help.

Basically:

Approriate responces to a QC pic request-
Manufacturing defects and imperfections
Things that suggest the model is not correct (ie person says they are told they are getting a V2 skyland but picture shows tells of it being a V3)

Innapropriate responses-
Correctly manufactured but unacurate to gen tells and differences

Please read the whole thread before posting. Your argument for posting QC pics and asking for others to check them for you was already discussed and shot down.. Read the 1st post... the 29th post..... the 41st post...... 43rd post......

davylloyd

I'm Pretty Popular
22/2/10
Please read the whole thread before posting. Your argument for posting QC pics and asking for others to check them for you was already discussed and shot down.. Read the 1st post... the 29th post..... the 41st post...... 43rd post......

+1000.
I for one wish this nonsense would stop.
I well remember the time before dealers offered QC pictures, and if members keep abusing the privilege it will not be very long before dealers withdraw the service. :frusty:

dexgo

Looking Around
14/2/13
i am new here but coming from freedom of whatever.. the internet.. groups.. unions.. whatever.

band and stand together.. no need to be in bed with the cooks.

stand with the people whom are in line waiting to get dinner.

it seems to me people are in bed with the dealers... we should demand what they try and advertise.. if they advertise the best utmost ultimate pure spectacular.. we demand it.

and should all use the QC pics to hold them to that level. TOGETHER.

or atleast change the way it's used and done ... things evolve.. once there was none QC pics.. then there are.. then people are using it for non it's intended pourpose... well.. who's to say this is not their intended purpose..??? now??

maybe there should be a QC analysis thread.. so every single customer get's the absolute best.

and if they aren't getting it... then that's a problem...

we should hold them to a higher standard... 200 dollars in china is a lot of coin.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
i am new here but coming from freedom of whatever.. the internet.. groups.. unions.. whatever.

it seems to me people are in bed with the dealers... we should demand what they try and advertise.. if they advertise the best utmost ultimate pure spectacular.. we demand it.

or atleast change the way it's used and done ... things evolve.. once there was none QC pics.. then there are.. then people are using it for non it's intended pourpose... well.. who's to say this is not their intended purpose..??? now??

maybe there should be a QC analysis thread.. so every single customer get's the absolute best.

we should hold them to a higher standard... 200 dollars in china is a lot of coin.

We don't want the..... "Can someone tell me what's wrong with my watch? QC pics attached." threads or posts by lazy members.

ahw676

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/11/08

I appreciate that you are new here and are participating, but your comments are not well-founded, and your expectations are unreasonable.

First, customers and dealers are "not in bed together" and I'm not sure what makes you think that they are. In fact, it's such an unfounded statement that I don't even know how to comment on it further.

But your idea that "200 dollars in China is a lot of coin" and therefore, you should expect some sort of perfection in everything you buy leads me to believe that you should give up reps altogether.

We're talking about China. Its prices on many things is considerably less than in the US and some other countries, but you seem to have the impression that the $200 is the equivalent of a family's income for a year, and therefore, the dealers ought to be willing to dive to the bottom of the ocean or sift through mountains and mountains of watches to find the perfect specimen for you.

Both assumptions are untrue. The Chinese would prefer to have the same standard of living as you would, and it's easy to plunk down $200 for a single meal, real estate is higher in some parts of China than many places, and things like electronics and cars can cost more in China than in the US. Plus you are talking about a watch that costs YOU $200. The watch did not cost the dealer $5 at the factory so it's not like it's all pure profit to him/her.

Moreover, you also seem to believe that the dealers have piles of watches to inspect so that they can find you the very best one out of the riffraff. This is not true. Some dealers will never see the watch. Of the ones that do QC, they go to a factory, order your item, and get it handed to them when it's done. Glaring flaws will usually get noticed right away, and this is as it should be. But no one has the time or patience to sit in a dust-free cubicle with a loupe to examine every crevice of the watch under 20X magnification for your pleasure. And if you decide that you don't the particle of dust or just how something sits under the dial, the dealer isn't going to be able to take the watch back to the factory to keep exchanging it for others.

I'm sorry, but your money is not worth that much to them. So if this is what your expectations are, do yourself a favor and find another hobby.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
I appreciate that you are new here and are participating, but your comments are not well-founded, and your expectations are unreasonable.

First, customers and dealers are "not in bed together" and I'm not sure what makes you think that they are. In fact, it's such an unfounded statement that I don't even know how to comment on it further.

But your idea that "200 dollars in China is a lot of coin" and therefore, you should expect some sort of perfection in everything you buy leads me to believe that you should give up reps altogether.

We're talking about China. Its prices on many things is considerably less than in the US and some other countries, but you seem to have the impression that the $200 is the equivalent of a family's income for a year, and therefore, the dealers ought to be willing to dive to the bottom of the ocean or sift through mountains and mountains of watches to find the perfect specimen for you.

Both assumptions are untrue. The Chinese would prefer to have the same standard of living as you would, and it's easy to plunk down $200 for a single meal, real estate is higher in some parts of China than many places, and things like electronics and cars can cost more in China than in the US. Plus you are talking about a watch that costs YOU $200. The watch did not cost the dealer $5 at the factory so it's not like it's all pure profit to him/her.

Moreover, you also seem to believe that the dealers have piles of watches to inspect so that they can find you the very best one out of the riffraff. This is not true. Some dealers will never see the watch. Of the ones that do QC, they go to a factory, order your item, and get it handed to them when it's done. Glaring flaws will usually get noticed right away, and this is as it should be. But no one has the time or patience to sit in a dust-free cubicle with a loupe to examine every crevice of the watch under 20X magnification for your pleasure. And if you decide that you don't the particle of dust or just how something sits under the dial, the dealer isn't going to be able to take the watch back to the factory to keep exchanging it for others.

I'm sorry, but your money is not worth that much to them. So if this is what your expectations are, do yourself a favor and find another hobby.

Well said as always.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State

This is your first post, and it is obvious. Welcone to RWI anyway.

"No need to be in bed with the cooks"? I assume that's a typo and you meant, "crooks." If I am correct in my assumption, then that remark along with others here indictates that, as AHW pointed out, you should just find another hobby.

Or if you like reps, read, learn and think before you drop these kinds of poorly worded and naive posts on the forum.

ahw676

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/11/08
"No need to be in bed with the cooks"? I assume that's a typo and you meant, "crooks."

He mentions "dinner" later in his post, so maybe he really did mean "cooks". But you will notice that I did not even mention his incorrect use of "whom", so you can understand how restrained and polite I was about not correcting his post. :)

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
OMG! AHW let a grammatical error go unpunished :thud:
Are you unwell? :p

ahw676

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/11/08
Well, he was new, and fortunately for him, the content of his post was offensive enough that I left the grammar. But if you really want me to:

It's hard to say where his grammar teachers failed him first. He doesn't capitalise anything other than abbreviations or to EMPHASIZE certain WORDS. He uses ellipses in lieu of proper punctuation because he doesn't know whether to use commas or periods, and moreover, isn't sure where they belong. He also doesn't know where paragraphs should start, so every sentence gets its own.

He's coined (speaking of "coin") a couple of new words, such as "atleast" and "get's".

And this:

then people are using it for non it's intended pourpose

I wouldn't even quite know how to fix it for him because it's not clear to me what he intended to say.

But just to make sure that you understand that I'm being fair, he does get credit for the correct usage of "their", rather than "they're" or "there". :)

There. This is how we make new members feel welcome. :ahw:

dexgo

Looking Around
14/2/13
Thanks for the pointers. I agree with you now I see your p.o.v.

I have lots of reading to do. I appreciate the replies.. less the grammar stuph.

I am not here to offend. Nor fight troll or flame. I've been posting on forums since Usenet. Honestly I have a degree in English... and the irony notwithstanding.

This is a nice place. Reminds me of highschool.

Brodders

Known Member
6/4/13
What are the accepted limits of rejecting a watch through QC?

I have ordered the 45.5mm 8500 pumpkin po from a TD and got the QC pics this morning. As I have been doing my research on here I was able to identify it as the 42mm version with the thicker ''omega" lettering and the date window being closer to the 3 o'clock and no "liquid metal" on the case back (shouldn't be there anyway). So was able to reply and let them know it was the wrong model.

Now had it been the correct watch I would have wanted to reject it due to a number of issues I would not have come to expect from the latest release. Especially with paying 328usd for the premium and latest version

View attachment 18746

My reject reasons would have been;

1&2 at twelve o'clock are not aligned correctly.
The numbers 20,30,40,50 are not level around the bezel with 50 looking the worse of all ( I actually think the 50 is correct and the rest are wrong)
Can't believe the logo has happy feet.
The pearl is not perfect but can live with it.... Or should I ?

Are these acceptable levels of rejection? I totally understand that these are replica watches and are not going to be perfect 1:1 copies but having seen pictures of this version and model on the forum (have gone back to them and checked they don't have the same faults) I know how good it can/should look.

I want to build a good relationship with the TDs and don't want to come across as nit picking etc but want the best quality available at the price I pay.

sharrkey

Legendary Member
Advisor
14/6/08
I noticed one of the other forums has now banned the posting of Qc pics, great step forward IMHO hopefully we will implement it here soon.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk S???R?I?????

Brodders

Known Member
6/4/13
I am not asking for assistance in qc'ing the watch, but some guidance as to what are valid reasons to reject. I have posted on this page as the question and answers may be of use to others looking for the same answers. Apologies if I should have started a new thread altogether.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Fiddo

-----
Gold Patron
Certified
16/2/09
In a Causal Loop
I am not asking for assistance in qc'ing the watch, but some guidance as to what are valid reasons to reject. I have posted on this page as the question and answers may be of use to others looking for the same answers. Apologies if I should have started a new thread altogether.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

The first post in this thread pretty much explains the purpose of QC Pics. Posting QC pics and asking questions about inherent "flaws"(mainly flaws that are not accurate to the gen model) that are apparent in versions of certain model rep goes against the purpose of QC pics.

Also, there may be more accurate versions of a certain model. However, they do sometimes cost more and you made need to specify to the dealer which version and/or factory you are looking for..

....and I agree with Sharrkey

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
I noticed one of the other forums has now banned the posting of Qc pics, great step forward IMHO hopefully we will implement it here soon.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk S???R?I?????

With any luck, we will see the same change here. Hope springs eternal.

Brodders

Known Member
6/4/13
The first post in this thread pretty much explains the purpose of QC Pics. Posting QC pics and asking questions about inherent "flaws"(mainly flaws that are not accurate to the gen model) that are apparent in versions of certain model rep goes against the purpose of QC pics.

Also, there may be more accurate versions of a certain model. However, they do sometimes cost more and you made need to specify to the dealer which version and/or factory you are looking for..

....and I agree with Sharrkey

Argument read and fully understood, but fails to help me in any way. The first post in this thread states "you may post a qc pic if you have a specific question about a possible flaw that you have found, and want input on how common or acceptable it is"

In hindsight posting my question as to what is an acceptable level of quality on a thread, that for the majority is anti towards people asking for assistance from more experienced members, was perhaps not the best place for it.

I have spent a great deal of time reading these pages and gaining as much insight as possible before making my first purchase. I am unsure as to whether the issues I have above warrant rejecting a watch at qc, which led me to this thread.

The flaws I have identified are not inherent to the gen, but to the rep model and version. This is the crpo version that is post v5, v5.2 rectified the happy feet issue, so I wouldn't expect to see them on the latest update to the line. The bezel numbers are sloppy and poor quality, if I paid 150 USD then fair enough but not at 328 usd, the same for the 1&2 at twelve o'clock.

Are you saying that even at this price (which is the most expensive price across the TD's for this version) I should accept these issues?