• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

FAQ on Straps Answered

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
I would like to thank everyone who encourages me to write this article. Special thanks to the Big E from TC Straps who has shown his continuous support for this forum. I LOVE YOUR BIG BALLS SPECIALS (I will talk more about it later).

Topic: FAQ on Straps Answered (in particular Panerai straps).

As my usual style, I would love to list down the tools used in this FAQ so that you can familiarize yourself with the tools before getting your hands dirty.

1. A spring bar tool. You can get it from any respectable watch tools shop.
3rz8.jpg

5px3.jpg

2. 1.6mm Screwdriver minus (-) head. Bergeon is used here. No. 30080H. Purple Colour. You can buy it from http://www.cousinsuk.com/default.aspx?d ... tid=455293 or ofrei.com
1xf5.jpg

2by7.jpg

A genuine off the shelf Panerai watch will come with 1 screw driver to change the strap. If you’re buying a complete set of genuine Panerai (particularly the recent series), you should get this screwdriver… Otherwise, you’ve been duped, dude! Basically that’s all the tools that you need.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let’s get started to know some parts that you’ll be working on.

1. The strap itself. Usually it comes with 1 pair. GeF Nero Black with White Stitch.
4fw8.jpg

More on strap sizes later on.

Straps with tube installed.
12dd5.jpg

Straps without tube installed.
13sl0.jpg

Having tubes installed on a pair of strap means they prolong the lifespan of a pair of strap due to wear and tear. You can see that particular part of the strap moves pretty often and gets stretched when one is wearing the strap. So, getting tubes installed is highly recommended.

2. A spring bar and its measurement.
7mq9.jpg

3. Screw to attach Panerai strap to the watch case (44mm Luminor Series).
21oh1.jpg

4. Tube from Panerai strap and its measurement.
8yv3.jpg

5. Special spring bar for Panerai watch 44mm. I got this from River and I heard davidsen has this too.
6gf0.jpg

6. Deployant Buckle
9zh6.jpg

7. Sewn in buckle
11qa8.jpg

It is not the PreV design... but the way it’s attached to the strap (is sewn in).

8. Screw-in buckle
10ge1.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is actually pretty popular question… Strap sizes... Does 115/75 24/24 confuses you? Fret not. Pictures speak a million words. Strap sizes unfolded to give the meaning to those numbers…

Giving meaning to the first 24 (24/xx)…
14ms8.jpg

In other words it’s illustrating 24/xx
17we8.jpg

Giving meaning to the second 24 (xx/24)…
15tw7.jpg

Giving meaning to xx/22
16fr0.jpg

Giving meaning to 115/xx or 120/xx
18ku5.jpg

Giving meaning to xx/75
19xj5.jpg

Overall dimension of a strap and those numbers… The other length 115/xx is not shown.
20jd2.jpg

OK… I guess that’s all for today… I will continue this someday. :p Again… Hope you like it. Here’s something about the history of Big Ball Specials:
One fine day a few months ago when RWI was just the small crocodile (Das kleine Krokodil), a fairly new to the board strap dealer posted a thread. Who has the big balls? That’s the title if I am not mistaken. No pictures… nothing… zippy…. nada… not even a PayPal address. It said who send him the first money (~U$50) has the big ball. I bet any sane man will think twice/a dozen times before jumping on this. Well, having 1 (one) past purchase with Elliot from TC Straps, I have his PayPal address so I sent him the amount. Guess what! To my surprise, at stipulated time, he posted the picture of what I’m going to get…. HEAVEN!!!! A Mario Paci Black Private Stock 26/24 130/85.
Then onwards… the tradition continues. Every once in a while E offered BB specials on RWI.
The idea behinds a Big Ball special is you will never know what you’ll be getting until the seller gave out the answer. I can’t help but to congratulate E on the latest Big Balls (he offered members to post the desired strap size). I can imagine the pain in the *ss when seeing a request such as 24/22 110/70 or 24/24 135/90… Those 5mm difference matters on strap sizes. That translates to E has to make A CUSTOM STRAP for the customer. He just wanted to make all of us HAPPY. In turns he is happy too if we made continuous support for TCStraps.

Moral of the Story: You shall not expect too much out of BB Specials or any other specials. The price is already ROCK BOTTOM LOW. Sometimes I myself can’t help it but to demand lots of stuffs from a seller. I hope this article will help you on ordering your straps.

THIS IS NOT DONE!

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Ok… Before my bedtime, we shall continue this. The subtopic for today is “How to wear a strap with deployant buckleâ€

mw1015

Renowned Member
26/1/09
thanks for bumping this thread.

i was wondering actually, do different watches need different tool size to release the springbar?

i have a springbar tool that looks similar to that in taka's 1st and 2nd pics but i can't seem to get the bracelet off my IWC 3717 as i want to put the leather strap on it.

any help would be great!

Zacke224

Horology Curious
5/5/19
Thanks for all this info really apréciate it can anyone please help me post a wrist shot I’m new here