• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is there a "rule of thumb" for pricing?

wallaby1

Horology Curious
17/12/18
Florida, United States
Are reps similar to cars with pricing? Like you start with the base model, then get the bigger engine, maybe leather, bump up to a higher trim, etc?
Would a Royal Oak and an Oyster Perpetual be similarly priced since neither have any complications? Is there an average cost to add a chronograph like the Daytona? Is there an expected premium for moon phase or tourbillons? Do certain colors and finishes change cost due to demand? How much should I be paying for a clone movement, microstepper, or ETA (I'm sure I can search and answer the ETA question myself)?

I simply have no reference point when inquiring about a watch from a TD. I have my eye on a Speedmaster, but I don't know if I should expect it to be $300, $600, or even if four digit prices are out there.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
In the general sense yes the more expensive the better quality for the same model. There's a lot of variables so you need to read up everything you can find before purchasing so you don't end up buying a watch with known issues. Are you looking at a specific model?

wallaby1

Horology Curious
17/12/18
Florida, United States
The three I'm fawning over at the moment (in no particular order) are the Speedmaster Moonphase with blue dial, Speedmaster Silver Snoopy, and Royal Oak tourbillion.

I've seen movements out there that fake functions- such as chronometers that are just small second or hour hands- but I think I would regret not spending a little more to get the actual function.

I believe a decent ballpark for a DJ is 300 give or take. So adding a chronometer is 100 more? Double? Triple?

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
The three I'm fawning over at the moment (in no particular order) are the Speedmaster Moonphase with blue dial, Speedmaster Silver Snoopy, and Royal Oak tourbillion.

I've seen movements out there that fake functions- such as chronometers that are just small second or hour hands- but I think I would regret not spending a little more to get the actual function.

I believe a decent ballpark for a DJ is 300 give or take. So adding a chronometer is 100 more? Double? Triple?

What exactly would you use those chronic functions for? If you use them, I fully understand making sure they work. If you do not use them, you are spending extra money for something you will never use.

Personally I have gone away from tachys and chrons for simpler styles. Date is about as complicated as I get with the occasional tourby. Though my interest in the GTLS watches is increasing. I am eyeballing the Nite Icon 208 blue on blue.

After all it is personal taste, just don't let the fever of want overwhelm the reality of budget. To this end, I really suggest M2M buying.

Post up once you decide!

kamo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/4/19
Completely agree with DaleM above. Back in my Gen collecting days,I used to think that a chronograph was something i'd use for tracking runs, even workouts :). the very notion of taking my Breiling or Omega Speedy to the gym was ridiculous but, for a while, i actually considered it. I got the Chronomat and enjoyed the chrono function for a week. in the real world, no use for it. Also, makes the dial kinda cluttered which i dislike. All of this is down to personal taste of course, just my view.
On a more pragmatic matter, consider that servicing a watch with multiple complications (day, date, second time zone, chrono, moonphase, etc.) is expensive and not everyone can do it. so it makes living with the watch a bit more difficult in the long run.
Good luck with your search and let us know what you end up getting...

wallaby1

Horology Curious
17/12/18
Florida, United States
I have a Seiko Chrono that I often wear. I never use it but I like it being there for some reason- it's a precision instrument from an earlier time (even though mine is battery powered) when things were done differently. At least that's my current train of thought. My bank account may disagree later.

Lucy from truetime has gotten back to me about these watches. The Speedmaster Moon Phase is not currently available.

She said the AP tourbillon from the JF factory is best. SS and gold band options and gold, blue, and gray dials. Seagull movement. Cost is $750
https://puretime.io/royal-oak-tourb...dition-blue-textured-dial-on-ss-bracelet.html

The Silver Snoopy Speedmaster has a completely functional (I think) Asian Lemania copy movement. The only thing that doesn't look gen is that the case back doesn't have the silver dust field of stars. Cost is $370.
https://puretime.io/watch-brands/om...lon-strap-manual-winding-chrono-movement.html

Both have Sapphire crystals. The prices are what I expected, I suppose, and didn't surprise me. I'm not sure if I like the AP dial interrupted by the tourbillion and am leaning toward the Snoopy. I've wanted the Snoopy for quite a while. The only reason I had the AP tourbillon on the list is because I like AP and I like tourbillions, so I just combined the two (and it'd be neat to be sporting a 6 figure piece). At that price, I think I'll have to find something that I can connect with a bit more.

As far as my original question, very generally, a base watch is $300, a chronograph adds $100, and a tourbillon adds $500. All in USD.