• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Rep--Removing Links

echo123

Horology Curious
13/2/19
Hi I just received my first rep. I bought a rolex sub and need to remove 2 links. Can I go to any watch dealer/jeweler to get them removed? I'm assuming I shouldn't go to the rolex store ( I have one down the street from me).

fabbrisd

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/12/12
The basic "issue" is where most miniature screwdrivers have a "knife edge or chisel" tip - the Rolex (and most Swiss luxury brand watches) have screws that use a "flat " tip.... this eBay seller here in the US has decent quality with the right tip that will work well... many enthusiasts turn to buy Bergeon Swiss - not knowing that Bergeon has different model#'s for the two different tips.

http://www.ebaystores.com/WHOLESALE...kw=rolex+screwdriver&colorid=0&sid=268970040&

The "knife edge/chisel tip pops out of the screw slot - the "flat" tip stays in the braclet screw slot.

Reactions: GMT1675

kamo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/4/19
I just got my first sub and went through the same thing. it is, in fact, something you can do yourself. I am the sort of person who has difficulties tying my own shoe laces :). if i can do this, anyone can.
First, check the tube for instructional videos. there are multiple ones. i think i watched one made by Rolex or some high end watch retailer. Have a look at the process, tool you need (as said above a flat head screwdriver) and listen to the instructions. there are some tips on what links to remove and how to add links back if needed.
Check your toolbox. you may already have the required screw driver. I did not so i went and bought a cheap, really piece of c**p, watchmaker set :) . this is what they call it but in essence it is a set of screw drivers which cost me a EUR1.10. Yep, a bit over a euro so you can imagine the quality :). once you have this, place your watch on an appropriate surface and unscrew the pins. Remove the link(s) and screw back. Careful not to scratch the bracelet. I did. No biggie, but still i could have avoided it if more careful.
Job done.

Last edited: