• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Western Union called me and asked a lot of questions and scared me!

heyscott

Horology Curious
8/12/16
Hi, making my second purchase with a trusted dealer. After I sent the money online with Western Union, I got a legitimate call from their 800 number asking what the money was for, who was the person I'm sending to China, (he was a very trusted seller here), what is his website, etc. that kind of information. I ended up telling WU I didn't like these questions and they cancelled the transaction. They said I could go to a WU store and do it if I wanted. I don't live close to one. Anyone have suggestions? Should I just tell them the person (a very trusted seller, his name starts with H) that H is my friend? Should I be giving them his website, telling them I'm buying a watch? etc? PLEASE ADVISE

Last edited:

Cicero

RWI Legal Advisor
Global Moderator
Certified
12/3/15
Hi, making my second purchase with a trusted dealer. After I sent the money online with Western Union, I got a legitimate call from their 800 number asking what the money was for, who was the person I'm sending to China, (he was a very trusted seller here), what is his website, etc. that kind of information. I ended up telling moneygram I didn't like these questions and they cancelled the transaction. They said I could go to a WU store and do it if I wanted. I don't live close to one. Anyone have suggestions? Should I just tell them the person (a very trusted seller, his name starts with H) that H is my friend? Should I be giving them his website, telling them I'm buying a watch? etc? PLEASE ADVISE

Don't tell them anything. Use another form of payment.

heyscott

Horology Curious
8/12/16
It really is my only option. Credit card payment with another TS won't go through even after talking to my bank. How can I be the only person who had this issue? Can I say the seller is my friend? etc?

Ralphy

SalesMod CodeName Duchess
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/7/15
Nebraska
It really is my only option. Credit card payment with another TS won't go through even after talking to my bank. How can I be the only person who had this issue? Can I say the seller is my friend? etc?

Only reason they did this is because you tried to pay WU with a CC. They are protecting themselves from a chargeback or dispute.

Go to a WU store (most likely at your local grocery store) and send cash, no questions asked.

I got the same call the first time I used WU and it was because I used my CC to fund the transaction. CC treats it like a cash advance so no chance of dispute. Told the WU rep that my TD was an interpreter and that I use him on business in China to translate documents. I said that's all I know, and the transaction went through with no issues.

heyscott

Horology Curious
8/12/16
thanks Ralphy! I will do that. And yes, it was my CC that I used just like you say.

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
Yeah I can second what Ralphy is saying.

If WU is your only option then pay cash in a newsagents.

Mine didn’t even ask what it was for and even if I’d told them it was for an ounce of amphetamine I don’t think they would have cared.

Crypto is always an easy option too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chubs

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/4/19
Washington State
Yeah, bitcoin or some other crypto is definitely the best way to pay these days, though I love Ralphys way of dealing with WU! Thats awesome.