• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Are some reps actually antimagnetic

jpchub

Renowned Member
7/12/18
Cape Town
Hi all, also posted this in flame free zone, but no luck. So here goes again and apologies if this has been asked before, but I cant seem to find the answer around here.
I would like to know if the antimagnetic covers used in rep watches actually work? Are some rep cases antimagnetic? Example LMPO V6, or BP FF, are they actually antimagnetic?

Akonoypi

Known Member
13/12/18
The only way to find out is to put it next to a magnet. Only two I know: Gen Omega Seamaster & Rolex (hence Rolex Milgauss). Both watches have degaussing
capability to reduce magnetic field interference. Hope that helps.

Keylog74

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/6/13
there are watches with the antimagnetic cover but i never tried or been curious about. Diver AP and Overseas Vacheron just to name a few.

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
I would doubt it — there are two ways to provide antimagnetic protection: create an interior cage that is different than steel to absorb the magnetism or use a material other than steel for the balance spring.

My expectations are low that rep factories go to this trouble unless they look to use cheaper metals for the balance spring. Which would create other issues entirely ...

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

jpchub

Renowned Member
7/12/18
Cape Town
Keylog74 yes so I have noticed and that is what sparked my curiosity. In my head there is no need to add a fake antimagnetic cover under a solid case back. I mean, if it doesnt work. Why still put it there?

jpchub

Renowned Member
7/12/18
Cape Town
nalomb yes that makes sense. But still amazes me as to why put an antimagnetic cover under a solid case back, if it doesnt work at all.

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
nalomb yes that makes sense. But still amazes me as to why put an antimagnetic cover under a solid case back, if it doesnt work at all.

The same reason they make non-functional chronos or deco plates on movements — the look is more important than the functionality.

Sent from the RWI mobile app

jpchub

Renowned Member
7/12/18
Cape Town
nalomb I guess that makes sense
beau7816 thank you for this link. Since I joined this community I have spent a lot of time on here. Way too much for my wifes liking :) and I have come across this link before. None the less, very handy. I already sport my first rep, and know the next two I’ll be getting. So for now just plenty of reading in the meantime.