• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A Forum is a terrible thing to waste! Dhgate, a lesson for new and old members!

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
hahaha!!! I did the same thing a year ago on tradetang just for kicks and I filed a dispute and got my money back..

The bottomline is , do not trust these chinese website.

fitz146

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/5/09
Great post ,it really brings it home to you that what you say is correct,only buy from trusted dealers.i think it might be the gambler in us all that makes some of us want to take a chance and buy from outside the trusted dealers but when you see the result it speaks for itself.in the past i have been tempted and bought from other dealers and have been lucky but from now on i will be taking your advice.well done ,in this case seeing is believing.

Watchdiver

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/8/09
Great read, thanks for taking the trouble, expense and time to do this. I hope people appreciate it.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
Oh God the hundreds of boxes I have opened and seen this type of thing. It's like a Vietnam flashback.

Spiccato

I'm Pretty Popular
10/3/09
Thanks for posting this.
And thanks for posting pictures of the watches
received.
This is a whole different paradigm for most shoppers in the US. We're used to
the convenience of proximity and US consumer protections.
I have been that....oh...let's say Steve Zissou thundering into open waters to save money.
Then the pirates attack, slice up an intern, leave their dog as I fruitlessly shoot into their
boat from the fantail.......I've chased a watch into no-man's land, gotten burned, fruitlessly
shoot emails back to China as I take care of the three legged dog-of-a-watch I'm stuck with.

Please...someone get the analogy. Please. Or I've just had a psychotic fugue on this
board for nothing.....

lan61t

Renowned Member
7/4/08
Kudos to you D4M, u've done a great length to the RWI by showing us the cruel world of the internet scamer that would do anything to steal your money.

Spboudart

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/9/08
I'd be in on it for certain. I'm not into Hublot at the moment but that's not what this is about; this is about supporting a 'just cause' and saying THANK YOU to people like D4M that go out of their way to help others (trust me, I know it personally). You'd get your money back and the remainder could be donated to the forum. Win-win.

+1
and I'm looking for a 21j stem anyway!

ispytonyv

Renowned Member
16/8/09
When I first saw the thread title, I thought this was going to be a post about the forum changover... I certainly complained about the switch but this is actually what's reminding me to be more patient. There's always so much valuable advice, so even if it takes some theme tweaking and waiting for some bugs to get sorted, I can still very much appreciate the efforts of everyone here. Thanks!

jerryss

10/9/08
Great post, Greg - I know the feeling of getting that sort of junk before I found RWI - thanks for showing all of us again why this place ROCKS!!

Jerry

reeder139

14/4/09
I've bought tons of stuff from Dhgate and now moved onto its sister website called wholsale-outlets. It is correct that there are a lot of scammers on there but it pays to be diligent. I haven't had one problem as yet...!

The point is, if it says, Asian 7750 and the price is less than about $200, it hasn't really got that movement, so avoid the seller. Same if it says original or genuine. That's just common sense.

I always send a few emails to sellers before even considering the seller and although this proves nothing, it does help. There are also sellers on there with thousands of feedback so try and stay with big sellers.

Actually, thinking back I did have a problem with two orders and Dhgate dipsute process was every effective, I received all my money back.

So, if you want to buy from dhgate, just be diligent, do some research and use your common sense.

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
Which makes no sense at all.. Assume all the risks of trying out people to save ??? $20-$50 and you have no clue what the heck you will get.

Makes no sense..

reeder139

14/4/09
But, now I have established trust with several sellers who I know provide the right product and reliable delivery then I don't have a problem.

I have bought many a replica watch from Dhgate and I always negotiate the prices with the sellers before hand. My trusted sellers will find me the same watch that is available from any dealer and undercut that price significantly.

However, I am new to this forum and obviously you have the trusted dealers section which I will be paying close attention to for future purchases.

I just wanted to make the point that actually, if you put the time into research the sellers on Dhgate and communicate with them and use common sense, there's no reason to get ripped off and actually you usually can negotiate a better price then most genuine websites will offer, for the same quality replica.

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
@reeder139, you are not wrong in saying that. The problem with most people is they do not take their time to research and makes the wrong decision just to save 20-30 bucks when they have the forum to browse. But if you have trusted dealers on you end, it is through your hard work and research. The forum is just combining everyone's effort to make rep collection more enjoyble!

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
To me. it's kinda like fishin'! I usually avoid dhgate and, like reeder, find wholesale-outlets more reliable and also cheaper. I had actually conducted this same experiment, except in more detail than D4m, but he beat me to the punch before I was able to put together a post to summarize the experiment.

I also found the same seller as he did, mr. yipyaniwhoever, bought the same type of description D4M did knowing full well I was not going to get a 7750 powered watch for $50. What I wound up with was a Tag Heur SLR Mercedes Benz a21j w/faux chronos, the type of watch our "trusted" dealers sell for around a hundred. I filed dispute, it went to arbitration and I got a partial refund.

My conclusion, you get what you pay for, or probably a little more if you find one or two dealers who are fairly honest - and there are some. From these more trustworthy dealers you can get higher-end items as well but they are about the same as our trusted dealer's prices so there's not much point in it. But, Alvinado is correct, you have to do your research. In my case I was curious and wanted a bag of cheap watches to play with. But for finding a hidden pot of gold? There are no $300 quality reps to be had for $50...

But, I do have a nice V5 DSSD and a vintage GMT on order - from two of our trusted dealers... ;-)

watchman888

Known Member
29/7/09
D4M, please give me url for your site (mentioned elsewhere) so I can check out what items you're getting. Thx.