• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Watch winders?

UDTMIKE

I'm Pretty Popular
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/5/17
Depends on who you talk to. Some people can't live without them, while others say useless. I have 2 winders. One is a double, I use it for the 2 I plan on wearing quite a bit in any given time period. I have a nice quad, I use to keep 4 more on it all the time as well. But then I heard some people saying that to keep a rep running all the time is shortening it's life. Compare it to a car running 24/7. But others say they like a winder so when they want to wear a rep it's ready to go. I guess I'm somewhere in the middle. So you will have to decide which side of the fence you want to be on. Good luck.

nexezz

I'm Pretty Popular
25/4/17
I hate to have to wind up my watch followed by changing date and time for watches with date complications so I keep all my watches with date on the winder.

Saves lots of trouble with say accidentally changing date during an hour I shouldn't be if the watch happened to stop between 9pm - 3am and I happened not to check it.

Sent from the RWI App

Logan86

Renowned Member
27/12/14
I am against them. Additional wear for no reason. But don't tell my lady, she got me one for Christmas and it is in the top of the closet..

FiloViridae

Advisor
Advisor
27/3/15
NYC
I like winders. I find it more wear to set the date/time playing with these damn Asian keyless works every few days then it is to keep it on a proper winder. Even on gens, i find the keyless would Go bad before other things..

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

bigdaddyhps

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/4/17
I wear a different watch every day. With a larger collection a winder simply out of the question. I don't even use one for my gen's. Invest in a really nice display box instead. Just my 2 pennies.

zexynova

Renowned Member
27/12/15
i have a winder for 4 watches. if i plan to switch a few watches for the month, i will use it. unless im too lazy. i will just off it.
there is a store which sell really good winders in singapore, the size of it is literally a wardrobe.....you can put at least 25 watches on winding

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
I also like to swap watches, even mid-day
I have 2 double winders who serve their purpose and cover my quick swap without adjusting dates and time.

trendconcept

Renowned Member
13/6/16
I also use a watch winder for four watches. Two Gens and two TCs. All watches have reliable 2824 movements. That's why I'm not worried at all about perhaps shortening the life of the movement. And if a movement breaks down after a few years, the replacement does not cost so much.

The most important thing is to set the correct number of rotations per day. For the 2824 movement, for example, between 650 and 900 rotations are suggested. My watch winder therefore runs for 30 minutes (at one turn every 9 seconds), followed by a three-hour pause.

FiloViridae made another good point. With the watch winder you minimize the risk of incorrect handling when manually adjusting the watch.