• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How do you answer the 'is it real' question?

tumad

Known Member
28/10/19
About being guilty wearing a rep and saying that´s a gen... well, i don´t feel that way. Because 99,9% of the people are unaware of the "super-rep" concept. And i just like to wear a beautiful watch without being judged....

Exactly.....

beau7816

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
20/9/16
UK Devon
Reps that I would stay away from are reps of seriously pricey gens especially Nadel watch which i believe is around $200,000

tumad

Known Member
28/10/19
I can easily afford a gen 9k SS Sub (and my friends/people I know, know it), but chose to invest that money elsewhere whilst still enjoying a 500 dollar super rep. It makes me feel the same, I treat it the same and I enjoy it the same. Only more, I've saved 8,5k...... A SS sub does not look out of place with me or my lifestyle so it attracts virtually no attention. Is it real? Here, have a play and you tell me...

Onewallfree

16/3/19
I am asked very frequently, maybe it's because of my business. Sometimes I joke like " i earm xx a month and wearing a RM of course". sometimes I say it's a rep/franken or whatever I have on the wrist. Just don't lie, because everyone with a gen will spot the difference.

Last edited:

Colibri

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/2/19
United Kingdom
a modest rep will pass for a gen but not one blinged up with fake diamonds! ha ha. unless you are a football player

Az901

10/11/19
I am kinda new to this forum but not really new to the rep world, and this is a really interesting subject. First of all, as many members have already answered, I would stay far from things that I can't really afford in the real world and I would only buy things that are suitable for my lifestyle. It doesn't make any sense wearing an extremely expensive item while my it worths a year worth of my income. Likewise, I wouldn't wear RM or one of the very expensive rolex or AP when it worth more than my car or house, personally, I have 3 cars and two of them are kinda expensive (Porsche Cayenne 19 and 911 Turbo S 15) so when I wear a 10 or 20k watch or carry a 1k wallet no one would ever think it's fake. One more possible way of answering this question (specially of the watch is a little bit above my limits) is, I got it as a 2nd hand and it was a really good deal. Just like it's been said before, wear it with confidence and always know all the details about your watch.

Reactions: PG7777

Adrenix

5/12/18
My first daytona spot in the wild was a gen playtona.

Saw a 116520 in the office. Did immediately think RWI...

Last edited:

antoniomc27

12/11/19
Kuala Lumpur
I laughed with this thread. I particularly like two strategies: the kick in the balls and the “take it off your wrist, and hand it over asking what do you think”... ????

kelvinmd99

Supporter
Certified
22/1/19
I have not been questioned if my watches are real. Some of u have mentioned that wearing watches that u can afford solves this problem which is true with a catch however.
For most of my rep wearing life no one has even noticed my watches which is what I prefer... until the past month one of the younger intensivists have starting noticing my PAMs he has several gens himself which was painful for me to hear about given the amount of student loans he has. Anyways everytime i round in the icu he is checking out my watches - this has caused some awkwardness in the sense even though he didnt question the aunthenticity of my watches I feel like I am putting up a false pretense, but then I picture the CEO of these companies looking smug as they collect their million dollar year end bonuses, and I am a comforted being again.

Toni-CH

Horology Curious
31/1/19
Yurup
I have always collect watches and have many dozen (bought over decades) but they all are sub $1000 watches. Well, some of the older and rarer divers are nowadays past that but I personally have never paid $1000 for a watch. And I never wanted to buy expensive watches - I rotate my watches all the time and rarely wear same watch 2 days in a row. Sometimes I even swap to another one during the day. So, basically it doesn't even make sense to me to pay big money for a watch. I rather spend my money on my other hobbies, home projects, traveling etc.

But, there are many nice watches I would like to wear occasionally. Many are beyond what I am willing to spend. And there come the reps to help. In fact my first "rep" was a gold Rolex sub I bought in New york about 1985 or so for $50. I am sure it was really bad. ;) I discovered nice quality reps only about 1.5 years ago. Now I have 9 and 3 of those I have assembled myself from parts. They are all watches I could, if I wanted, afford in real life. Like many others I would never buy any rep of a very expensive watch which would be out of my reach in real life, luckily I don't like AP, Pateks etc. ;)

I don't show my watches to anybody, I just casually wear them for my own enjoyment. If somebody notices then ok. Usually they just say "nice watch" if anything.

Only once I was asked if it was a fake. I was visiting my old watchsmith picking up a watch he had serviced forgot I was wearing a rep. He noticed my self assembled Sub peeking from my jacket sleeve and lifted the sleeve to look. He knows me and I have never mentioned a Rolex or any other expensive watch - I usually only bring him vintage divewatches to work with. So, I think his spontaneous reflex was: this watch is out of place in this wrist. He said: "thats not gen, is it". I replied: "of course not". That was it, he ignored the watch and continued about our business. And he has never mentioned it again, treats me like he always did.

I plan to use this in future too if questioned, depending on the situation maybe even add "I bought it at the beach from this shady dude selling sun glasses and watches". And I plan not to explain it any further. Then they can make their own mind. If some one would like to see it closer that is fine to me too. I would be interested in hearing their judgement. ;)

Daithi66

Horology Curious
20/8/20
If it is any brand other than a Rolex (e.g. Patek Philippe, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Vacheron Constantin), my answer would be, "Uh, probably, but I don't know. It was given to me. Is it a good brand?"

Actually, I would have no problem admitting its a rep if I was ever asked.

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
If it is any brand other than a Rolex (e.g. Patek Philippe, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Vacheron Constantin), my answer would be, "Uh, probably, but I don't know. It was given to me. Is it a good brand?"

seems like you are contradicting yourself in 2 lines..

Daithi66

Horology Curious
20/8/20

The first line was facetious (i.e. a joke).

rdladouc

Horology Curious
24/9/19
NY
I had a friend question me once, he knows me well and that spending $$,$$$ on a watch would be unlike me. I told him it was a rep and he should buy the gen so we can compare them one day haha. I struggled at first deciding if i would actually ever lie, at this point it's just easier to not care.

witchywatch423

Horology Curious
2/7/19
Actually what i don't like more, is when I'm wearing an AP franken or something and someone asks "what kind of watch is that..."

I don't want them looking it up and thinking i'm stupid enough to pay $15-20k for a fucking watch hahahahaha

I feel this big time. What kind of watch is that... an automatic watch..... Seriously. I'd have to be, "Michael, type my response to this forum post for me," rich to spend that kind of money on a gen. If you're not and you do, well, maybe your priorities are not the same as mine. I'll either be completely up front or just side step the question. Anyone close enough to me to ask, I'm not so worried about anyway.

Watchesandwinetime

Known Member
11/3/20
Aussieland
What I do if asked, is hand them my rep and say "You tell me"
99% of the time people have no idea what they are looking at and mostly people have said that it seems to be a gen.

This is even more funny, since I'm on a disability pension due to multiple severe ongoing illnesses, and I walk into the welfare office wearing my rep rollie asking for food stamps.

Feel a little like the rapper "Ol' Dirty Bastard" from the Wu-tang clan who used to roll up to the welfare office in a limo :p:p:p

Always a laugh seeing the look on their faces when they notice the watch itself...

Reactions: teethtimer and DC69

Ealocin

16/8/12
Literally dealt with this at work yesterday . I Wore My Gen DateJust one day and then my Rep wimbledon the next and people asked me if it’s real lol. They said they Only questioned because it seemed ridiculous if I spent that amount of money in a couple months time. I told them it was fake and pulled up the Gen Wim and asked them to show me the differences... they couldn’t identify one

miscusi

10/10/20
NYC
I havent read all of these, so if this was said already then nvm.. but I was thinking of a fun way to see if it is real or not.. you talk to the guy, and then work in the factory names.. weather is nice today, noob. I thought I needed an umbrella VSF..

Jenna

Certified
9/11/20
I’ve never been asked. I wonder if I’m less likely to be asked as a woman? Maybe.

If I was asked, I think I’d just hand them the watch and say ‘you tell me’.

I definitely wouldn’t outright lie and say it’s genuine. If I was pressed then I’d just tell t he truth.

I think the chances of anyone asking are slim though. And I wear my reps because they make me happy. Not because I wasn’t to impress anyone :)