• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How do you answer the 'is it real' question?

Rex411

Horology Curious
10/3/17
Obviously new to the rep community and truthfully would not be here if I could afford a gen 16610LV. Alas, I’m a 40-something middle-class mortal with a 3yr old and mortgage so the idea of shelling out almost $8000 for a watch is something out of reach. Could I ‘save for it’ or ‘set a goal for retirement’…sure. But I’ve wanted a gen Kermit for over 10 years and it never seems to rank high enough on the desire-to-cost scale.

Only recently did I find out that reps (like TC) had come so far – and cost so much! This said, I find the idea of paying $800 for a hand-made near perfect rep kind of a bargain as it’s 10% of gen and within my budget.

All this is background to the real question I came to ask and the dilemma I’m having. What do you say to the person who asks about your very expensive looking Rolex watch? Also, how do you reconcile the idea that you are wearing a replica trying to pass itself as genuine… therefore you are undeservingly putting yourself on a pedestal (those who can afford a Rolex).

After review with friends and wife (who say go gen or nothing) I’ve found there is a big difference in their mindset vs mine toward rep watches. This could be expressed (from my perspective) in other replica items like a fiberglass body 356 Porsche replica using a modern engine or canvas transfer Jackson Pollock with brush stroked added for texture. These items, to me at least, symbolize the same idea as a replica Rolex – I want the enjoyment of using/ seeing this thing daily but could never afford the price tag of a real one. To achieve my goal I’ll try and get the best possible reproduction at my price point. The problem however is the majority of people either don’t care or won’t ask if your 356 Porsche or Pollock is real as there is an assumption and an acceptance that it’s not. This somehow makes it OK to own one and it’s still just a cool thing of envy. No guilty feelings or hearing the whispered word ‘fake’.

I know better than to lie about the watch and ever say it’s gen. This just compounds the guilt… but why should I feel guilty? In getting a TC (for example) I’d be purchasing a watch with hand-crafted components, countless hours of meticulous thought and measurement, and individual assembly on a bench as opposed to a factory floor. A TC sub should be lauded as more of a custom watch than something mass produced by a multi-billion dollar company like Rolex. This concept unfortunately exists just in my mind. To the rest of the public (this forum exempted) a replica is seen as a cheap NYC street corner purchase for $50. This is the stigma I need help rationalizing before making the TC V7 Extreme purchase.

I know I’ll love wearing the TC every day and it will make me happy to look upon the Rolex design perfection of silver bracelet, green bezel with black face… until someone asks (which they always will) ‘Is it real’.

Reactions: Svalbs

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
I've never been asked before tbh. It's very unusual for people to notice your watch let alone ask if it's real. Most people wouldn't notice the difference if you were wearing an invicta or a rolex.

It really comes down to what makes you happy and what you can live with.

If you are truly content and secure with yourself you won't even care if somebody thinks you are wearing a fake.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Katarsis

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I buy replicas of watches I can afford, period. This is a hard rule I have stuck to so far. I've considered higher end pieces like AP, but as of now I've steered clear. A majority of this is looking the part and people assuming you have spent the $$ because they know you can afford it. I've had my dentist grab my skyland avenger and begin a several minute discussion on Breitling, I've had a patient become fixated on my Tudor Pelagos, I've had a patient notice my subc and point to his. Never was the authenticity questioned, primarily because I can afford the gen of every watch I have, and besides Rolex, most people don't think of replica watches. Also, I make it a point to stick with very accurate reps and franken pieces that could pass at least a moderately close inspection.

Last edited:

Ironmanic

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/6/15
I wear a combination of various gens and reps and the reality is that very few people will notice your watch. Even fewer will wonder if your watch is fake and a small minuscule portion will ask you if it's real or it's fake.

That being said, Rolex is a bit of a different animal given that the name is instantly recognizable and the fact that it is easily the most replicated watch in the world. However anyone who looks at your watch will be looking for something that's of quality. And if you buy a noob, or better yet bk or tc, the quality will be obvious, reducing any chances of being called out.

Go show your wife the side by side comparison of the dssd noob v7 and the gen. Then ask her if you should still go gen or nothing. I'm in a similar boat to you and despite a pretty strong income would not be able to justify that kind of expenditure if it would forego a prepayment on my mortgage or something my kid needs. Be careful though because once my wife saw the quality of these reps, a gen is now a much harder sell. "Are you fucking crazy" were her words I believe.

IMO this is a classic 80/20 situation except it's more like 90/10. No brainer.

Rex411

Horology Curious
10/3/17
I really appreciate the comments so far. Thankfully my income level (position at work), and truthfully large purchase spending habits, would lead even friends to believe my Rolex was genuine without question. I'd still like to know how other members would respond if asked about authenticity. I'd like to think my reply would entail my watch as being 'individually assembled by a craftsman in California named Thomas Caddell who took the styling from Rolex and created a master reproduction for a fraction of the cost'. Problem being, it doesn't have TC's name on it, but Rolex's...which makes it just a replica.

Funny enough but if I threw down $8000 for a gen I would still feel guilty in one respect. I spent the money on a relatively trivial thing only for me and not something more meaningful to my family like an awesome trip or a new kitchen (lol).

Reactions: Sharkdawgie

macarone

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
I've never been questioned on any of my pieces Gen or Rep and if was I'd ask them if their wife's [emoji324][emoji324]are fake

Curt941

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
26/1/11
Actually what i don't like more, is when I'm wearing an AP franken or something and someone asks "what kind of watch is that..."

I don't want them looking it up and thinking i'm stupid enough to pay $15-20k for a fucking watch hahahahaha

Rex411

Horology Curious
10/3/17
RepPossessed - I realize this question must have been asked/ answered in 1000 different ways but the thread which satisfies my quandary seems to elude my search. Sure, I've found many thoughts and opinions on the topic but nothing that resonated. The answers provided in this thread so far have been excellent and I appreciate the replies even though my question basic.

D

d4m.test

No one has ever asked if any of mine are gen or not. You get the odd comment "nice watch", to which I just say thanks. If someone I know notices a new watch, I take it off and let them look at it, and then tell them, "its a rep, the real one is £30K, and there's no way in hell I'd spend that on a watch". Problem solved.

As you say, to blow big cash on something trivial when you've property investments, kids and all their costs, home improvements, holidays, collage funds...... I know who the dumb asses are. The only time I would ever spend BIG on a gen, was if I was a multi-millionaire, to the level that you would never have to think about the cost of anything.

vicente28

Known Member
23/10/16
I think that depends of what model you're wearing. A 6/7k watch is affordable by almost anyone with a job ,another one by 30k is more suspicious. ;-)

Reactions: nomosfan

Ironmanic

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/6/15
Tell them whatever you want to tell them. Can you pass it off as a gen? Probably. Do you feel bad doing that? Tell them its a replica. Don't like the stigma associated? Tell them its a custom version.

The reality is, a high quality replica in an of itself will be a beautiful watch. Does the fact that rolex didn't make it and that it hasnt been marked up a 1000% make a difference? That's for each individual to decide. I reach for my gens and reps equally as often and don't treat my gens any differently except i pay a lot more to service them and get a white hair when i bump them against something.

onzenuub

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
19/11/07
When she asks that, I allways say it's gen and in real life it allways shows larger. :p

db1561

Known Member
9/2/17
RepPossessed - I realize this question must have been asked/ answered in 1000 different ways but the thread which satisfies my quandary seems to elude my search. Sure, I've found many thoughts and opinions on the topic but nothing that resonated. The answers provided in this thread so far have been excellent and I appreciate the replies even though my question basic.

pay no attention to RepPossessed he does this to everyone... I think he needs a vacation or a few xanax. :jeff:

R2L

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
By virtue of the fact that you will be wearing a Rolex, probably the most replicated watch brand on earth, be prepared to have someone ask you whether it is real or not. I own two gens and have been asked more than once if they are real. And this is by people who know me well. I also own some reps, and once people know I own gens, they think what I'm wearing is a gen, even when I'm wearing my reps.

You will need to be clear in your mind what you will say when you will be asked if what you are wearing is a rep or a gen, as the likelihood of this happening to you is very very high. If you are not comfortable with telling the truth (or lying), you need to stay away from Rolexes and go with another brand with less of a reputation for being faked. Good luck with your decisions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk