• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How do you answer the 'is it real' question?

gahafa

Horology Curious
29/6/21
Depends who it is, if it's a friend who is into watches, I'd share with them that this is a rep and why I purchased it.

If it's a friend who has no clue about watches, I'd say it's a rep and tell them I got the exact gen stored at home that I don't want to scratch

If it's just a random, they won't ask.

Reactions: P..DR..D

timeisonmyside39

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/9/23
If it's a Franken with atleast a gen dial, my answer would and will (when I'm done) be "some of it".. however, I live in a place where you don't find many expensive watch owners and when you do see someone wearing one, it's most likely fake or a Michael kors that had an expensive price tag at Kohls.. so I kinda don't have to worry to much about it.. it'll make me feel good tho to wear a piece that I built with my own hands and limited skills

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
If I get asked "Is that a fake? " or "Is that real?" I'd say (with a genuine smile) "What do you think?" and leave it at that. It's whatever they want to believe it is. No lengthy explanation necessary.

(Note that I don't mean saying it like "What do YOU think" , as if they should know better asking. )

Last edited:

mac427

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/1/23
texas
I've never been asked if my Clean Sub, or Clean Pepsi is "real." If I ever am, I'll say "I hope so!"

Reactions: sfgerl

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
I always said "no it's a fake", regardless if gen or not.

I'd rather have them think I'm broke and a weirdo than have them think I'm soaked with money.

• Haha
Reactions: TESLA760 and sfgerl

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Having said that, I have told some ppl that it is all gen, with only a rep case (or whatever). Fortunately several of my reps are superfrankens, with a Rolex movement. And, I also tell the the truth, which is that I would never spend crazy $$$ on a gen when I can enjoy multiple watches for the same amount of money. I always direct them to this website to learn more!

Last edited: