• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How do you answer the 'is it real' question?

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
Wear what ever you want who gives a shit what people think its your watch and you like it and of story.

Reactions: catana1981

putte

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/1/17
I don´t care either... but if your´re a minimally smart person, you should know that people will judge you (and this is not good in some situations)...

Once, i tried to explain to a friend about my "Replica Hobby", but he just didn´t want to understand that.... and he looked to my Noob Rolex V7 as a "$10 chinese crap" (have to mention he don´t know a shit about Rolex, and only wears cheap quartz watches - like Fossil and Invictas - but he didnt liked my $400 watch just because i said its a rep). This happens because the idea that people usually have about the word "replica" (in general) is related to cheap chinese counterfeit goods. We (in this hobby) know this is not true. I love my watches. I don´t like people comparing them to crap. So, just to simplify, for now on i prefer to say (or imply) that´s a gen. If it were not so, we would not be here in this forum looking for the perfect replica.

spot on. I told one of my friends that I will by a replica for 400$ That became a looooong discussion about replicas and gen.

Have anyone got “busted” by someone for wearing a replica when you told it was a gen?

WatchFan101

Looking Around
14/9/18
I am in the process of deciding on my first rep. Thinking AP ROO w/ ceramic dial and white face. That watch retails for about $30,000 USD. It is very hard for me to wrap my mind around paying that much for something that 99% of people do not care about. I just want the watch because I love the look of it. Companies like Rolex, AP, Patek spend tens of millions evey year on sponsoring F1 teams, retail shops in the nicest locations, multimillion dollar production facilities and high end sponsorships of athletes. All of these costs get passed off to the customers, which drives up the cost of the products. Now, are reps as reliable as a gen, no not even close but how long will a good rep last? once it breaks you buy another one for $600. How many reps can you buy for $30,000 USD?

Dr. Mike

Renowned Member
7/9/15
Rex411 I tell the truth (kinda, in a lawyer's sort of way). I prefer the franken route and I regularly use 2 watch builders on this site.
Q: "is it real?"
A: "I have a friend who builds watches out of a mix of genuine and aftermarket parts. You'd be shocked how much cheaper this is than walking into a jewelry store and getting ripped off."
Most people are fascinated that this is possible and it gives the watch a personality of its own.

DirtyArty

13/12/18
When I got my first rep I kinda had the guilt of owning something fake. When you think about it, it’s a real watch, it tells time and has moving parts. I make about $50k a year where I work so not a lot of people can afford a $8k watch. When I got mine, one of my coworkers asked me how much I got it for my my answer was it was a gift from my parents for my 35th birthday. Then he told my manger that I had one because that day he wore his no date sub. So I’m thinking in my head I’m about to be embarrassed and called out but when we put the both watches next to each other, you couldn’t tell the difference. I had a different come out worker ask me if it was really and again I went with yes and it was a gift.

I think you should be confident in what you have, if you feel like whoever is asking is going to turn it into a big deal, tell them it was a gift from a loved one. I wear my watch with confidence and I show it off. And yes I am I’m a position in life where I can pay the inflated price of $9500 and buy a gen one, but don’t want to, I don’t see the value. I get that they hold a value and bla bla bla. Now the only real reason I will buy them is because I have two sons and a watch is something I want to leave them as an extension of me when I pass in like 60 years, hopefully lol.

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
I agree but that is the "hard way" you choosen.
Of cource there are super reps that can be easilly pass for gens but what about a very good quartz that you like
or a pricey piece that very few afford to buy?
I think it's better everybody knowing that i'm a watch lover - hobbist that wears gens and reps.

sketchAG

19/1/19
Canada, eh
no, it's all an illusion, time is an illusion, we're all an illusion drifting in space of paradoxical (ramble, ramble, ramble) ... and end with, "what was your question again?"

sketchAG

19/1/19
Canada, eh
personally I haven't asked anyone that question - if/when I do see a "nice" (ie. expensive) watch, I might comment that it's a great looking watch or it's a nice (name of brand/model), but I haven't and most likely would not ask if it's real.
I'll leave it to the wearer to tell me if he/she choose to.
And if I know that it's not, no judgment from me. You wear whatever you like, irregardless of my beliefs.

Reactions: Desertwanderer

Desertwanderer

13/2/19
Some very interesting views on here to help readers crystalise their thoughts on why they do / dont want to go down a Rep ownership route.

I have been hanging around the forum for a few weeks now trying to find out more about whats out there in Rep's, how big this market is and how reliable the products are and the service from the suppliers. I have also been trying to wrestle with my own conscience in the area of how do i present anything i may buy and display on my wrist to others.
One thing is for sure that i do not want to represent a Rep watch as a Gen watch, it just doesn't sit well with me passing something off as something it isn't ie a very expensive item that many Gen collectors work and save for years to acquire. After all i wouldn't lie about being married, i wouldn't make out i had degrees i dont and I wouldn't sell someone a Ponzi scheme.

Having gotten my head around that ive had to consider under what circumstances would i buy a Rep and wear it. I can afford Gen watches in the $5k to $15k US bracket and do have a small collection of them, but for me there is an attraction certainly in buying a Rep of something i already have a Gen of so i can wear it in circumstances that I would feel uncomfortable otherwise ie visiting areas of the world that have certain reputations (surely few people walk around Rio tourist areas with $15k genuine watches on at night). Secondly i would buy a Rep of a piece that i was genuinely considering buying to see if i would wear it enough to justify the real thing. Lastly I would consider buying a Rep of something for a specific event that i would wear very rarely ie a dress watch like a JLC master ultra thin to wear with a tux, which would happen about 3 times a year if i was lucky ie i would be buying it more as an outfit extension because I wouldn't get the wear and appreciation out of a Gen.

In all of the above scenarios i wouldn't feel awkward about telling people it was a Rep and why i had bought it in the first place.

I appreciate everyone is different in their thoughts and approach, this is mine.

In line with the theme of the thread, whatever your reasons for buying a Rep i think if you can get your head around the fundamental questions of - Do i tell people who ask or admire its a Rep or Gen? What are my reasons for buying a Rep rather than simply saving for a Gen, or even buying a perfectly good stylish watch from any number of less pricey but perfectly stylish manufacturers and enjoying it for what it is? Answer those questions in your head and you will be right I guess.

notAreplicant

21/6/19
If you even get asked that question that means you and your watch don't belong together in my humble opinion. In other words you don't wear the watch, the watch wears you!

Reactions: catana1981

Less

30/9/18
DE
At work I have a lot of teens around who of course do know what Rolex and AP are. Some ask and I answer honestly. I'd never lie about reps because I'm not trying to fool anyone. I wear them only for myself as I love watches - sometimes when I'm bored or waiting for something I'm just starring at my watch admiring all details. Reps are a dream come true having all I couldn't or don't want to afford (BTW I also have three gens in a lower price segment). So for me: no need to lie about anything. :)

LuminorReptar

RepTime BST Mod
27/3/17
Beyond the Pines.
RepPossessed - I realize this question must have been asked/ answered in 1000 different ways but the thread which satisfies my quandary seems to elude my search. Sure, I've found many thoughts and opinions on the topic but nothing that resonated. The answers provided in this thread so far have been excellent and I appreciate the replies even though my question basic.

You articulate yourself phenomenally.

I struggle a little bit with this dilemma myself, and reading some of the replies here have been fantastic perspectives.

The way I see it is - it’s not really anyone else’s concern whether my watch is real or not. I struggle with some guilt being dishonest about its authenticity, especially given how some people will perceive the value of it. Firstly I could definitely afford most of the watches I own individually (maybe 1/3 my collection) - but certainly not the entirety of the watches I have on rotation. Besides, as others have stated I rarely get comments on my watch. Most people don’t give a shit or know well enough to even remotely LC what’s on my wrist.

To me this is a hobby, they are- as you stated- things for personal enjoyment; not necessities.

I will be honest with a few friends and family that are close to me, because I value honesty and they are people that deserve my honesty.

The rest of them, I don’t know or trust well enough to allow myself to be judge by the stigma of a mass marketing campaign smearing anyone who wears a replica as lesser person lacking morals...

Still. Maybe one day with enough disposable income to where I don’t feel irresponsible spending the money, I could see myself segueing into more gens (some I would still never buy gen over the rep since I truly don’t see the value in it). To each their own.

Sent from the RWI App

Troklo

23/12/15
I tell them what it is as I have nothing to hide, I wear my reps for me and me only. I don't buy a watch because I want to impress other people or show how much money I do or don't have. I personally don't have any rules regarding the price of the watch in gen, I don't care if I can afford or not the gen, if I like the design I buy it and that's it.

Last edited:

littowun

Known Member
1/6/19
Not Applicable
It is interesting to me that random people would ask about the authenticity of your watch.

In my area folks are too worried about what other people are thinking of them to spare 5 seconds thinking about you. They are all too busy being the main characters of their own real life movie :lol: But to be fair everyone is a victim of the “spotlight effect” to some degree.

My father left me a Rolex. I wore it thinking it was real. No one ever asked about it or mentioned it. Only after I tried to get it serviced did I find out it was not. Full anecdote:
https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo.../7953688-got-called-out?p=7954733#post7954733

I love reps. I feel zero guilt, zero shame, no deep suffering of “imposter syndrome” like my fellow RWI posters. My current opinion: not a lot of value getting a gen. I’ve purchased a gen and I didn’t feel special/etc; I just felt like I spent a lot of money. But getting a watch that is 95% similar but only 3% or even 1% of the msrp, lots of value there.

For day to day, I only interact with folks for meetings—at coffee shops, offices, etc. I have already received many compliments on my rep, which is cool! In such intimate one on one settings, I guess people do notice!

Outside of that environment, zero attention. I don’t dress fashionably—I wear a black shirt and black jeans every day. I have worn my rep to several “high end” places in my area. Sat waiting in several well-known fashion boutiques along Rodeo Drive. As I wait I like to admire the beauty of my rep and try to catch that reflective angle that gives the blue/greenish tint/reflection that is apparently an “instant tell” lmao. No one bats an eye.

Sometimes I see forum folks write about pulling off a watch depending on the car you drive. Maybe this is also a location dependent thing. In my area, your car is either buried in a parking lot or parking structure, it’s not like I am ever lounging next to my car other than to drive to a destination or go home. Maybe if you are pulling up to a Chipotle or McDonalds will folks concurrently know what you drive and be able to compare the car to your watch but would you really care as you stuff that fish filet down your mouth?

My mindset is: “rep or not, the fact that it is on my wrist means it’s real.” No one will ever care enough/dare to ask. If they do, I won’t lie but I will probably give them a hard time for asking unless it’s someone I am close to. But I just can’t imagine that happening in any random casual setting and even less in a professional setting unless your rep looks awful. Even then, “I think you got scammed” would be the response I expect instead of, “you bought a rep?”

Only scenario is from jealous/hater/snide personal friends, maybe. But I’ve long since discarded those.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bigozuk

30/6/19
i try to avoid the question in the first place by only buying a watch that is potentially within my lifestyle

Rex411

Horology Curious
10/3/17
It's been quite some time since I started this thread... since I now have a more seasoned perspective on the subject I thought I would respond to my 2017 self.

Knowing the professional company you keep (people who wear genuine Rolex watches) and the amount of money you make (a genuine Rolex purchase would not garner inquisition) the question is irrelevant. Your professional peers will ask to see your watch, admire the green bezel, try it on, make a comment about its timeless beauty and give it back. That's it. They won't ask about the price or authenticity as that would be tasteless - completely out of consideration.

Your friends may or may not notice the watch but unlike professional connections will make no comment... just as you would not make a comment on any aspect of their wardrobe. You socialize with them in a judgement-free environment so the watch becomes an irrelevant accessory.

At the end of the day, the perspective that will matter to you will not be external. After some initial awkwardness about the fact you're wearing a Rolex (Rep or Gen) and the idea of showcasing this wealth symbol - even flaunting it - you'll feel perfectly comfortable with it. The weight of it on your wrist will be familiar... the feel of slipping it on your wrist and closing the clasp will bring a smile every time.

After a while you'll wonder what else is out there in terms of reps that suit your personality and style. You'll consider situations where you'd like a work of art on your wrist but just not your TC v6 116601LV with gen crystal & dial. You'll begin a love affair with the idea of owning a Breitling as these have a unique classic style and heritage which rivals that of Rolex. Eventually, you'll settle on the Outerknown Superocean Heritage Chronometer 44mm (awaiting shipping from TS Station). The dress-down appearance really calls to you as the perfect compliment to the Kermit. This watch is ridiculously overpriced but a gen is right in the sweet-spot price range based on your current watch predilection.

Wear your reps with a smile on your face that belies the fact you saved well over $10k by not buying gen but still get the satisfaction of experiencing these watches. You'll never bring up the rep-nature of your purchases and no one will ever ask... just don't consider the Rolex Daytona ice-blue dial platinum 116506 as this is $70k watch and it will scream FAKE (even though you think it's the most gorgeous watch on the plant).