• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How do you answer the 'is it real' question?

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
N. Ireland
26C22B46-97A6-4147-AE71-FC608B11C178_zpsbsn3pybk.jpeg

Whitefire98

Known Member
14/2/16
I never buy a rep of a watch that I couldn't or wouldn't buy gen. Even around very knowledgable people, I have never been asked one was real or fake. I sport gens in the $2k-$10k range, so I don't stray from that. The only giveaway for people that know me, would be if they caught on to my buying habits. I don't my buying gen if it is one that will hold its value.

To the OP's point - I don't look at it like spending $8000 on a watch - I look at it, especially with Rolex which is easy to move, as a place to put my money for a bit. In reality, with some watches, you could buy, wear, and sell gen, and come out similar or ahead of where you would on a rep.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
I've been in that similar position several times. Working in sales you are surrounded by lots of easy to impress kids. Fortunately I'm in my early 40's, married with 1 baby and quite good at what I do. This makes it very easy for me to get a decent Gen (every 6 months, with my bonuses). At the same time, I find that I'd rather save that money for a rainy day, for my daughter's school/uni, for a car, etc.

This, coupled with the fact that I like tinkering with watches, is the reason I buy reps. In my office I've told all my closest friend, that actually like watches like me, but that's mostly because they're good friends and I wouldn't feel comfortable hiding it from them. And I also feel that they might be interested too (this hobby is sometimes too good to be true, innit?).

The rest, I act as if it was a gen. I've only been asked the "is it a real Rolex?" once and I literally carried on with the conversation as I didn't even heard the question. I only wear reps I could afford the gen, too. This means no Pateks, no APs or even Daytonas (as much as I'd love a good 6263!).

I personally think is a slightly cheeky and rude question. Even worse if it gets coupled with the "how much did you spend on this?". I mean, what I do with my money is absolutely not your business.

I find the "what do you think?" + handing the watch over a very good answer, actually. Might give it a try next time I come across the situation!

riphonda

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/3/17
Truly very very few.... Less than 1% are experts to be able to pick up on any flaws or comparisons. I do pick and choose where I equip myself with which watch model though. For instance I wouldn't wear my black sub at the yacht club because at any time there are half dozen in the room.

That being said I just this past week had an Omega collector come look at my noob CrPO. He walked up behind me, grabbed my wrist and said "my god this is beautiful" he admired for a minute and told me about his half dozen or so Omegas 30k worth he had at home.. Showed me his well worn moon watch on the wrist and said "boy I love when they are new... Cherish it. I Iove an Omega guy"

Very weird exchange because I was unprepared for it. I almost forgot which model it was when he asked....!

I don't understand these who disclose the fakeness right off the bat. Always more fun to play it off. Be a good salesman. Sell it! That's why you are wearing it in the first place.

Be prepared. They are real. Just REAL real good copies.

chefzorba

20/5/16
Charlestown, SC
Was actually called on my JF LV yesterday. Got the whole standard "Is it real?" and he gave me a smirk. I took it off and let him hold it and said "I don't know, you tell me what you think".

He looked at the watch like most non watch guys do, pretty much having no idea what to look for other than if it's heavy. Of course he said "oh yeah, I can tell it's real. The fakes are feather light". Lol

I'd be more interested in getting called on by a member here and trying to see if they know what version my watch is rather than if it's gen or not. Reps are so god even dealers have a hard time now and need to really look at it up close.

AntonioG

Known Member
23/1/16
Obviously new to the rep community and truthfully would not be here if I could afford a gen 16610LV. Alas, I’m a 40-something middle-class mortal with a 3yr old and mortgage so the idea of shelling out almost $8000 for a watch is something out of reach. Could I ‘save for it’ or ‘set a goal for retirement’…sure. But I’ve wanted a gen Kermit for over 10 years and it never seems to rank high enough on the desire-to-cost scale.

Only recently did I find out that reps (like TC) had come so far – and cost so much! This said, I find the idea of paying $800 for a hand-made near perfect rep kind of a bargain as it’s 10% of gen and within my budget.

All this is background to the real question I came to ask and the dilemma I’m having. What do you say to the person who asks about your very expensive looking Rolex watch? Also, how do you reconcile the idea that you are wearing a replica trying to pass itself as genuine… therefore you are undeservingly putting yourself on a pedestal (those who can afford a Rolex).

After review with friends and wife (who say go gen or nothing) I’ve found there is a big difference in their mindset vs mine toward rep watches. This could be expressed (from my perspective) in other replica items like a fiberglass body 356 Porsche replica using a modern engine or canvas transfer Jackson Pollock with brush stroked added for texture. These items, to me at least, symbolize the same idea as a replica Rolex – I want the enjoyment of using/ seeing this thing daily but could never afford the price tag of a real one. To achieve my goal I’ll try and get the best possible reproduction at my price point. The problem however is the majority of people either don’t care or won’t ask if your 356 Porsche or Pollock is real as there is an assumption and an acceptance that it’s not. This somehow makes it OK to own one and it’s still just a cool thing of envy. No guilty feelings or hearing the whispered word ‘fake’.

I know better than to lie about the watch and ever say it’s gen. This just compounds the guilt… but why should I feel guilty? In getting a TC (for example) I’d be purchasing a watch with hand-crafted components, countless hours of meticulous thought and measurement, and individual assembly on a bench as opposed to a factory floor. A TC sub should be lauded as more of a custom watch than something mass produced by a multi-billion dollar company like Rolex. This concept unfortunately exists just in my mind. To the rest of the public (this forum exempted) a replica is seen as a cheap NYC street corner purchase for $50. This is the stigma I need help rationalizing before making the TC V7 Extreme purchase.

I know I’ll love wearing the TC every day and it will make me happy to look upon the Rolex design perfection of silver bracelet, green bezel with black face… until someone asks (which they always will) ‘Is it real’.

I know exactly what you mean...That happens to me A LOT... I can afford a gen, but i can`t justify it. If i say "Its real", the person usually looks astonished to me, judging me as a spender. But if i say "its not real", the person will look with some disdain... like you bought a crap... a cheap $20 phony watch in the streets pretending to be a person that you aren´t.

That´s some kind of a dilemma...but i have the right answer for that....

I just say: "i got it at an auction". That means: The watch is real, but i didn´t pay that amount of money that you think. I got a bargain. If the person asks for more information about that auction (price, etc), you simply can refuse to say, being discreet about this.

About being guilty wearing a rep and saying that´s a gen... well, i don´t feel that way. Because 99,9% of the people are unaware of the "super-rep" concept. And i just like to wear a beautiful watch without being judged....

Reactions: thumbsarehandy

Caesar

Grand Poobah
16/1/17
Lady's Island, SC
Shit man....you guys worry too much

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Agreed. I couldn't care less what others think. I wear reps because I love watches, and these look pretty damn good at a fraction of the price. Very rarely is anyone going to ask if it's a rep. If they do I don't mind telling the truth.

Reactions: Tigerdragon

tkingjr

Watches & woodworking
Gold Patron
Certified
7/4/16
Northeast USA and Shenzhen, China
I don't care what people think. I have Gens and Reps. I will admit I have a lot more fun trying to buy the best Rep i can find. Obviously this forum contributes to my addiction. When buying Gens i would buy one every couple years or so. Now I am buying a Rep every two or three weeks. The watches are for myself or my grandson's. Trying to get them addicted as well.

Reactions: Tigerdragon

AntonioG

Known Member
23/1/16
I don´t care either... but if your´re a minimally smart person, you should know that people will judge you (and this is not good in some situations)...

Once, i tried to explain to a friend about my "Replica Hobby", but he just didn´t want to understand that.... and he looked to my Noob Rolex V7 as a "$10 chinese crap" (have to mention he don´t know a shit about Rolex, and only wears cheap quartz watches - like Fossil and Invictas - but he didnt liked my $400 watch just because i said its a rep). This happens because the idea that people usually have about the word "replica" (in general) is related to cheap chinese counterfeit goods. We (in this hobby) know this is not true. I love my watches. I don´t like people comparing them to crap. So, just to simplify, for now on i prefer to say (or imply) that´s a gen. If it were not so, we would not be here in this forum looking for the perfect replica.

reppy

Renowned Member
14/1/17
If you are not comfortable with telling the truth (or lying), you need to stay away from Rolexes and go with another brand with less of a reputation for being faked. Good luck with your decisions.
totally agree. If you're concerned about answering questions about authenticity, don't buy a rolex, gen or rep.

Reactions: WatchOutGens!

nexezz

I'm Pretty Popular
25/4/17
I really do like the approach of handing them the watch and asking 'what do you think?'

It feels like the best way to imply it's a gen without lying that it's a gen

Sent from the RWI App

barryny

3/6/17
I am new to rep...still looking for my first.
I have a 1985 gen AP RO 2 tone 14k/SS day/date/moon purchased used about 14 years ago. Could get back today the $6,800 I paid then.
I just inherited a classic 1960's 14k Longines from my uncle who recently passed...prob worth $1,200.

I believe the simplest and easiest answer and to shut them up instantly is to say you just inherited it from a dear old uncle who recently passed. You'll get an "I'm sorry to hear" and the conversation about the watch will end right then and there...most folks will figure the old goat owned a gen....

Jerryw50

Horology Curious
15/12/14
I felt compelled to add to this thread. My story is this. My brother returned from Japan in the mid-60's with my first Seiko. I wore that Seiko through my teens and well into my 30's. Finally, it died. I did not even wear a watch again until in the 50's, when once again I found a identical Seiko. It was then that I started noticing other watch brands and models. But with a beer budget and caviar taste, the Tags, Rolex, and most other high end brands/models just were not possible. Now in my 60's, I fing out my oldest son had been a long time watch/time piece collector. His passion was nice Tommy Bahamas and Invictas. What he taught me was buy what you 'like' not so much what you can afford. I got it. My first obsession was a replica Omega Speedmaster (Buzz is my hero). I found RWI and did the research, made the purchase and was 'pleased'. I was not trying to fool anyone. It's just that I'm a mostest for the leastest type of guy. So now I have expanded my collection. I've added several real Seikos, some Invictas and others. My favorite is a Rolex DSSD blue that I just got from WBK (beautiful, beautiful quality time piece). I'm sourcing a Tag Monaco right now. Also, I've been having lots of fun on Amazon checking out very, very low cost Chinese brands/models that are actually very nice watches that I love to wear and get so many positive comments. My last comment is this watch obsession/hobby is a personal thing. Have fun with it and who cares if some low life evens thinks that your beautiful well made replica is not real!

Reactions: Tuben and Ecender

innocenti

Renowned Member
16/8/16
Whether it's one of my genuine or one of my reps I give the same answer with a smile and a wink - "I couldn't possibly afford a real one"

Reactions: WatchOutGens!

TingelTangelTom

God´s Gift to Mankind.
15/2/17
EU
Last week i was asked the first time ever. Or more like called out "Its a fake!" I was not prepared and said it was from the Chewinggum-Automat.
41S0XFhqjrL._AC_US160_.jpg

The one - a member of a far branch of the familytree - inspected my Breitling closely - obviously he was looking for some "tick" in the movement of the seconds hand like a quartz :)
As i realised that he didnt want to offend me but rather wanted me to buy him good reps it was already too late to confess that it was indeed a rep.

Now that i am prepared for such situations i will most likely answer: It´s as real as the tits of your wife/mother/boyfriend - what ever suits best in the situation.

Reactions: Benamus

bigdaddyhps

23/4/17
Wear reps that you could actually afford a gen in. When the guy that know watches sees you wearing a $100k Patek he will know. Especially if you are driving a car that cost less than the watch. Like the other guys say most people don't even notice.