• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Overwhelmed!

Moe79

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/9/21
Sydney, Australia
New member here, fascinated with the forums and quite overwhelmed, I’d love to own a couple of nice replicas and of course I’m nervous about the whole process, but I’m eager to be educated both via reading the stickies here as well as any kind members who would guide me :)

One thing comes to mind, How can I know that what I’m buying is an excellent rep and not a lazy job? I’m learning about the concept of TDs from this forum but also there are websites (that look like they use pictures of genuine watches anyway!), Wish, Dhgate, Ali Express, Facebook .. I even found a local guy who has many Rolex’ and Brietlings for about $500 each (they look ok to my inexperienced eye).

One last thing; I live in Sydney - Australia if that makes any difference - thanks for reading!

emextra420

Horology Curious
26/6/21
Welcome! I’m new myself but have been reading/researching on here for about a month and I can tell you this,anybody on the list of trusted dealers would most likely treat you better than places like fb or wish

Moe79

10/9/21
Sydney, Australia
Thanks for responding and I agree! My main question is this now: I found a person not very far from me and he has what seem to me good looking replicas, how can I grade them? He’s happy to meet and I definitely would like to examine a watch in my hand before purchasing. Is there a chance they could be very good replicas and what would the telltale signs?

TheChachi

10/9/18
Thanks for responding and I agree! My main question is this now: I found a person not very far from me and he has what seem to me good looking replicas, how can I grade them? He’s happy to meet and I definitely would like to examine a watch in my hand before purchasing. Is there a chance they could be very good replicas and what would the telltale signs?

I would heed the advice of others and stick with buying from TD's listed on this forum. I would not consider meeting F2F unless it is someone I know or have dealt with on this or the other rep forums. There is a TON of info on here for each and every watch. The mods are fantastic and almost everyone here is willing to help, but most want to see you put in some research first. I can guarantee you every noob question has been asked here and a legit answer has been given. Take the time to look it up using keywords in the search box. If you cannot find it for whatever reason, ask it on the forum and someone will most likely help you. Good luck on your rep hunt. It is one hell of a hobby and be prepared to want something new every week!

Reactions: P..DR..D

donR

11/7/18
Sydney, Australia
Problem is with replicas is they can still look pretty good on the outside and work at the time but a week later or so if the internals have crap movement you might as well throw it in the garbage. I think this is one of the reasons why we have the "trusted dealers" as you can be rest assured they are trying to sell you a reasonable product with good internal movement. I mean you can have the best looking replica but if it can't tell the time then it aint much good.

Reactions: Ichnusa

Ecender

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
26/10/18
Miami, Fl
My recommendation for you is to do your research and read very carefully all posts about each model you’re intended to buy, and I mean all of them old and new. There are watches that any TD here would be able to sell you, but they won’t be able to guarantee that it’s the perfect rep (at least for you), that is your Job to find out.
You will find very interesting things, like probably a $500 rep that have been offered to you from an outside this forum seller, actually cost half or less.
Enjoy the good reading and good luck.

Moe79

10/9/21
Sydney, Australia
Thanks! What do you mean “the right rep for me? Is it basically what differences I can tolerate and what I can’t or something else?

Ecender

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
26/10/18
Miami, Fl
That’s right, there’s no 1:1 clone rep watch for sure, that is a marketing strategy TD use. the Gen would always be the best, but some reps are very close, that not even the more experts would tell without inspecting closely, open the case back or comparing with the Gen side by side.

Reactions: P..DR..D

Ichnusa

Horology Curious
3/10/21
New member here, fascinated with the forums and quite overwhelmed, I’d love to own a couple of nice replicas and of course I’m nervous about the whole process, but I’m eager to be educated both via reading the stickies here as well as any kind members who would guide me :)

One thing comes to mind, How can I know that what I’m buying is an excellent rep and not a lazy job? I’m learning about the concept of TDs from this forum but also there are websites (that look like they use pictures of genuine watches anyway!), Wish, Dhgate, Ali Express, Facebook .. I even found a local guy who has many Rolex’ and Brietlings for about $500 each (they look ok to my inexperienced eye).

One last thing; I live in Sydney - Australia if that makes any difference - thanks for reading!

Thank you for starting this exchange -- new to the whole rep game myself, been reading for a few weeks and am slowly digesting all the incredible input on here. From the digesting done so far, I personally would only order online via TDs and heed the advice the kind people here are offering.
To cope with the overwhelming amount of info & threads, I guess getting involved is the best way to get to a nice rep on our wrists :)

Reactions: Moe79

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California

You can't, 'cause you are not an expert. That's why you need an expert on your side, someone who knows what you are trying to buy, and someone you can trust. That's the TD.
TDs cannot afford to f*ck up, or they'll lose their sales license on RWI. If you buy a certain replica via a TD, you'll get exactly that. If you are unsure about a certain model or manufacturer, you can ask the experts here. And if there's a problem, you'll get help here.

If you buy a watch anywhere else, even directly on the prison colony from a fellow prisoner, you will get f*cked because the best replicas cost $500 with shipping and a guy who sells them for $500 would not be able to make a dime, so you'll not be getting a top replica for $500; it's really that simple.

Tribefan

15/11/19

I've bought a lot of rep watches for less than $100 that look ok, or even better, to an inexperienced eye.

thestefster

Patron
9/6/11
Member for over 10 years. If you are really concerned, find an announcement forum on here, wait until others have purchased it and posted images, read the comments from experienced RWI members, then make your decision. Some of the time you'll also get members posting break-downs and gen-comparisons.

Moe79

10/9/21
Sydney, Australia
I’ve been doing that - so far have 8 watches now with another 4 on the way - i think i’m addicted already! I’m loving the NWBIG list too!

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
You can't, 'cause you are not an expert. That's why you need an expert on your side, someone who knows what you are trying to buy, and someone you can trust. That's the TD.
TDs cannot afford to f*ck up, or they'll lose their sales license on RWI. If you buy a certain replica via a TD, you'll get exactly that. If you are unsure about a certain model or manufacturer, you can ask the experts here. And if there's a problem, you'll get help here.

If you buy a watch anywhere else, even directly on the prison colony from a fellow prisoner, you will get f*cked because the best replicas cost $500 with shipping and a guy who sells them for $500 would not be able to make a dime, so you'll not be getting a top replica for $500; it's really that simple.

This.

Its that simple Moe79

Just stick to the TDs and your money is safe.
You will get watch or refund. Welcome in our world man:)

Reactions: Moe79