• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Public Holiday Schedule for China

idontknow

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
I don't know if anyone has ever posted something like this up in the past, but I thought I would pass it along. This was driven by a post started in this forum (a calling out shall we say), as well as my discovery of a holiday period that I was not aware of. So, if you are wonder why something you have ordered is being delayed you may want to take a look at this-

China Announces Official 2012 National Holiday Schedule

Another list can be found here-

China Public Holiday Schedule

There are several other sites that come up on a Google search, but these two mirror pretty much everything available for this information.

I have to say up front (and can be supported by others) that you should expect these holidays to be extended by either a few days before or after (or both). So while this has been "officially" published by the government our TD's aren't in an "official" industry and you can bet that they aren't governed by the official calendar.

A quick summation/explanation of the 2012 calendar-

NEW YEAR'S DAY
Days off: January 1-3
Work day:
Saturday, December 31, 2011
Translation: We'll get Sunday-Tuesday off, but we'll be asked to work a six-day work week beforehand. It's essentially a long weekend, slightly shifted.

SPRING FESTIVAL
Days off: January 22-28
Work days: Saturday, January 21 and Sunday, January 29
Translation: We get seven consecutive days off, but "earn" two of those days with weekend work. In other words, a seven-day holiday is bookended by two six-day work weeks.

QING MING (TOMB SWEEPING) FESTIVAL
Days off:
April 2-4
Work days: Saturday, March 31-Sunday, April 1
Translation: We can play all day Monday-Wednesday because we've spent the prior weekend in the office (i.e. a seven-day work week).

LABOR DAY
Days off: April 29-May 1
Work day:
Saturday, April 28
Translation: Another shifted three-day weekend (Sunday to Tuesday) following a six-day work week.

DRAGON BOAT FESTIVAL
Days off:
June 22-24
No extra work day
Translation: A traditional long weekend (Friday-Sunday)

MID-AUTUMN FESTIVAL & NATIONAL DAY
Days off: September 30-October 7
Work day: Saturday, September 29
Translation: These two get morphed into one (because the Mid-Autumn Festival, based on the lunar calendar, happens to fall at the end of September in 2012 – while National Day is always at the start of October). We get an extra day off for Mid-Autumn Festival, which is used to cancel out one of the two weekend work days we'd otherwise have to "earn." In a nutshell: an eight-day vacation and only one Saturday shift.

goonx

Known Member
18/4/12
Chinese New Year

Christmas

QING MING (TOMB SWEEPING) FESTIVAL
Days off:
April 2-4
Work days: Saturday, March 31-Sunday, April 1
Translation: We can play all day Monday-Wednesday because we've spent the prior weekend in the office (i.e. a seven-day work week).

DRAGON BOAT FESTIVAL
Days off:
June 22-24
No extra work day
Translation: A traditional long weekend (Friday-Sunday)

MID-AUTUMN FESTIVAL & NATIONAL DAY
Days off: September 30-October 7
Work day: Saturday, September 29
Translation: These two get morphed into one (because the Mid-Autumn Festival, based on the lunar calendar, happens to fall at the end of September in 2012 – while National Day is always at the start of October). We get an extra day off for Mid-Autumn Festival, which is used to cancel out one of the two weekend work days we'd otherwise have to "earn." In a nutshell: an eight-day vacation and only one Saturday shift.[/QUOTE]

These are the BIG ones i would say. I would say expect the sellers to have slow responses at around these holidays.

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
As a follow up to this-

The items I ordered last week are still sitting in China/HK. Things are moving very slowly over there (mail wise), so no one should be surprised if things are taking a while.....

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Moved to FAQ and made sticky.

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
Woohoo, I've been stickied! Uh never mind, that just sounds wrong.......