• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How feasible is this Angus ?

crunchycarrot00

14/6/18
Hi Angus,

I was just thinking about whether it would be possible to get one of the rep factories into making replica dials for gen watches.

I do quite a bit of dial/handset modding for genuine speedmasters (mitsukoshi, Gemini is, snoopy gen1, etc) and in the past year or so the genuine service dial market has gone way up as omega/swatch group is restricting supply.

Genuine mitsukoshi dials use to sell for 400gbp a piece and now go for 1000gbp a piece.

I know a replica speedmaster pro will never happen because the economics just don’t make sense but I don’t believe the same is true for replica dials. Replicating the 1861 movement will be a tall order, as difficult as the 4130 was to make, but replicating a dial should be super easy comparatively speaking. I have the replica silver snoopy and the replica 45th anniversary Apollo 11 which are both great other than the sub dial spacing issue.

If a rep factory can create the same dial in genuine 1861 specifications, I can easily see modders snap them up for >200usd a set. For the factory it’s like almost receiving the same amount they would receive if they sold a ST19 speedy rep but without the trouble of sourcing/manufacturing the case/movement/band/strap/crystal/assembly etc. I’ve also purchased rep dials alone from ARF at 50 USD a dial so it seems to me that for a rep factory this would be an amazingly profitable job to take on.

This wouldn’t only be feasible for speedmasters but many other watches which feature a strong modding community.

If we can get a silver snoopy dial and/or new 50th Apollo13 Snoopy Anniv dial in 1861 gen spec (I’m willing to donate a base speedmaster dial for the cause for measurements) I’m willing to commit to a 100 piece MOQ to start things off.

1079856d-773c-42f8-91d9-657eefb2c9e6

276cbfb6-1509-47b1-9f8c-82c8c8a61935

crunchycarrot00

14/6/18
Oh man the more i think about this the more excited i get

So many opportunities in this space

puretime

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
16/3/06
Hi Angus,

I was just thinking about whether it would be possible to get one of the rep factories into making replica dials for gen watches.

I do quite a bit of dial/handset modding for genuine speedmasters (mitsukoshi, Gemini is, snoopy gen1, etc) and in the past year or so the genuine service dial market has gone way up as omega/swatch group is restricting supply.

Genuine mitsukoshi dials use to sell for 400gbp a piece and now go for 1000gbp a piece.

I know a replica speedmaster pro will never happen because the economics just don’t make sense but I don’t believe the same is true for replica dials. Replicating the 1861 movement will be a tall order, as difficult as the 4130 was to make, but replicating a dial should be super easy comparatively speaking. I have the replica silver snoopy and the replica 45th anniversary Apollo 11 which are both great other than the sub dial spacing issue.

If a rep factory can create the same dial in genuine 1861 specifications, I can easily see modders snap them up for >200usd a set. For the factory it’s like almost receiving the same amount they would receive if they sold a ST19 speedy rep but without the trouble of sourcing/manufacturing the case/movement/band/strap/crystal/assembly etc. I’ve also purchased rep dials alone from ARF at 50 USD a dial so it seems to me that for a rep factory this would be an amazingly profitable job to take on.

This wouldn’t only be feasible for speedmasters but many other watches which feature a strong modding community.

If we can get a silver snoopy dial and/or new 50th Apollo13 Snoopy Anniv dial in 1861 gen spec (I’m willing to donate a base speedmaster dial for the cause for measurements) I’m willing to commit to a 100 piece MOQ to start things off.

1079856d-773c-42f8-91d9-657eefb2c9e6

276cbfb6-1509-47b1-9f8c-82c8c8a61935

This is 100% feasible and sounds nice to me.

The only problem is the MOQ is 500 pcs, but the price should be cheap, you have no worries.

Let me know if you want to discuss more about this.

crunchycarrot00

14/6/18
Lemme pm u on this but other users feel free to chime in on what you want to see in this space

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
10/3/18
London
I’d like to see panda Heuer Carrera dials that fit the (TAG) Heuer 1964 re edition. The re edition uses the Lemania 1873.

crunchycarrot00

14/6/18
I’d like to see panda Heuer Carrera dials that fit the (TAG) Heuer 1964 re edition. The re edition uses the Lemania 1873.

You're gonna have to get dimensions on this to the rep factory before they can make em

MOQ is apparently 500pcs, wish you all the luck to put that together. I'm trying to accumulate enough for a speedmaster pro snoopy run, if you know anyone that might be on board please let me know.