• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My PT Experience: Noob Sub V8S 116610 LN

Orville

Horology Curious
26/4/20
Disclaimer
This is my first post within RWI. I have been lurking on these forums for some time, building knowledge and heeding the valuable advice of forum members. I am a cautious person, so take reasonable measures to mitigate risk. I am a novice within the replica-field so do not pretend to know everything. This is an honest review of my first replica-watch purchase, written to assist anyone else feeling the urge.

Below is a list of considerations that should be made by anyone hoping to purchase their first replica-watch.

Risk mitigation (use forum advice plus a little common-sense)
*Select a Trusted Dealer (aka TD) with extensive and recent buyer-feedback.
*Talk to the TD. Ask questions, see how responsive they are, check that their English is good, and most-importantly - do they feel genuine?
*Start small. My first purchase was going to be a relatively inexpensive watch. I thought of this as dipping my toes into the water. Risking $300 would be better than $600, or $2000+ if I had purchased all of the watches on my starter-list.
*Consider chosing a popular watch. I picked the Noob V8S (out of a list of 4 or 5) because it was on Special Offer. Several TD’s had the same/similar promo’s, so I presumed these watches would be off-the-shelf and readily available from the manufacturer. I reasoned that this would reduce sourcing and delivery-times.
*Select a trusted payment method. For me this was Tranferwise. I had already used this service to send funds abroad in the past. It is simple to use and (so far) has never let me down. Many TD’s (including Puretime) offer a 5% discount when using this service.

Which TD to choose and why PureTime?
As above - I researched and researched. PureTime have plenty of positive feedback and member endorcements, plus responded promptly and courteously to my questions in good-English. I contacted several TD’s before ordering. All gave positive-responses, but PureTime edged-it. They appeared genuine.

Expectations
My main concerns regarded delivery timescales and potential for goods getting stuck within Customs or lost in transit. There was also risk that the watch would arrive damaged or may not live up to the QC pics. I had assumed that my “Sub” would take a best-case 4-6 weeks’ to arrive, with worst case 12-weeks’. Any loss or damage would add to the process. I considered the overall risk to be low – I would just need to be patient.

The Order Process
*I first asked questions about watch availability. PuretTme advised that they do not carry stock but would source from the factory. They also advised that delivery may take a little longer than usual due to COVID-19. Importantly for me, they were not pushy.
*I placed my order on PureTime’s website, selecting Transferwise as payment method. Cost of watch was $288 plus $35 shipping, minus 5% discount. Total $304.60. I live within the UK, so triangular-shipping was unnecessary.
*PureTime responded promptly with the Transferwise payment details.
*Payment was made. Total cost (incl all currency charges etc) was GBP £250. Transferwise charged less than $4 is fees, within nothing else to pay.
*PureTime responded same day confirming that payment had been received.
*5-days later I was sent QC pictures which I promptly accepted.
*PureTime confirmed my package was ready for shipment 2-days later.

Full Transaction Log – Initial contact thru to delivery
2020-04-28 Pre-order emails exchanged regarding potential order.
2020-04-29 Order placed for Noob V8S Submariner.
2020-04-29 Order confirmation received along with Transferwise payment details.
2020-04-29 Payment made.
2020-04-30 Payment received/confirmed by PureTime.
2020-05-04 QC Pictures received and approved.
2020-05-06 Received notification that my order will be sent out today. Informed that tracking info to follow in 2-3 business days.
2020-05-08 Shipment confirmation received including tracking info.

Parcel Tracking
2020-05-08 02:20 Baiyun,Guangzhou,China / Shipment arrived at facility and measured.
2020-05-08 02:20 Baiyun,Guangzhou,China / 4PX picked up shipment.
2020-05-08 23:25 4PX / Item will be despatched; as advised by Posting customer.
2020-05-09 05:16 Baiyun,Guangzhou,China / Depart from facility to service provider.
2020-05-09 19:20 HONGKONG / Arrived at Hong Kong hub.
2020-05-10 10:29 HKG / Hand over to airline.
2020-05-10 23:49 HKG / shipment departed from airport of origin country.
2020-05-11 13:57 LHR / Arrival of goods at destination airport.
2020-05-11 13:57 LHR / Arrived at the destination airport.
2020-05-12 14:22 GBLONA / Arrive at the destination distribution center.
2020-05-13 10:11 GBLONA / In transit, it's progressing through Post network
2020-05-13 21:32 South West DC / Item scanned on its journey.
2020-05-14 06:52 Item has been included in a Royal Mail Sales Order
2020-05-14 20:12 Romford MC / Item scanned on its journey
2020-05-15 02:01 Romford DO / Item sorted
2020-05-16 10:01 Delivered

Total time taken from order to delivery was just 17-days. This consisted of 9-days between order and shipment, 3-days to travel from Guangzhou China to London England (5900 miles), plus a further 5-days to travel 40-miles from West London to East London.

Box Contents
Upon opening the package I found a few nice surprises. PT had included a nice hand-written note apologising for any delays that may have been caused by COVID-19. They additionally included a free pack of face masks - I guess to help in the virus-fight. The watch itself was well-protected and pristine.
PTt0X.jpg

Under magnification the Rehaut is slightly offset and DW sits a little high. I am sure the experts will spot a dozen minor-flaws, but this is a relatively-inexpensive V8S so I am extremely-happy. With my own eyes and from arms-length it looks perfect.

Overall Experience
From initial questions thru order to delivery my entire experience with PT has been superb. I encountered have zero issues obtaining my first Rep (which I am extremely happy with). The only slight delay was created by the UK’s Royal Mail, taking 5-days to move the package across London.

I want to thank everyone @ PureTime for truly-excellent service.

Last edited:

Dave O

Known Member
27/3/20
NorCal
Great review! Thanks for sharing.

It looks like using the postal service is the best shipping method at this time and I'm glad PT is using it now. You received it VERY quickly! For reference, I too ordered a Sub from PT. It was shipped using SF Express on April 9th and I still have yet to receive it. It is currently in the US waiting in line for customs. It has been in line for 5 days now. I contacted SF Express as their website states only a 7 day delay to the US due to the pandemic. They were not much help, and I'm now over 5 weeks and counting. In contrast, I also ordered a Sub bracelet from PT. It was shipped on April 24th using the postal service instead and it arrived earlier this week. The point of this - it's great to see PT switch up shipping methods when they see other methods aren't working very well. At one time they were using DHL, then SF Express and now the postal service. Great job PT!!! Keep up the good work!!!

Minimalcat

Horology Curious
2/2/20
Thank you for sharing! Very informative & important for first time reppers

Orville

Horology Curious
26/4/20
I just placed my second order. It's for an XF Heritage Black Bay in Bronze/Blue. This could end up being an expensive new hobby.

puretime

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
16/3/06
Thanks for your order and detailed positive review. We are very glad to hear you have well recieved your watch and satisfied with our service. Your satisfaction is our motivation
to keep doing our best. We look forward to doing more business with you !

gstand

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/4/20
I ordered the same watch a couple days ago based on your great pic of the watch. Thanks for the info!

Reactions: Orville

gstand

22/4/20
Orville - could you post one of your QC pics? The one that is showing the watch with the crown edge-on so that you can see the machined out area where the crown tube meets the case?

gstand

22/4/20
Thanks! I appreciate it. Looks like you got a really good one!

Orville

Horology Curious
26/4/20
One thing I have learned during my reading here is that all Reps will have flaws. Mine for-instance has a slightly off-centre dial & rehaut, plus the DW somtimes rests slightly high. From arm's length however I would struggle to tell it apart from Gen.

I never expected perfection for less than 5% of Gen cost, and somtimes even the Gens are not perfect. In a strange way I rather like it's flaws. They make me appreciate how difficult it must be to design and manufacture fine watches.

Last edited:

gstand

22/4/20
One thing I have learned during my reading here is that all Reps will have flaws. Mine for-instance has a slightly off-centre dial & rehaut, plus the DW somtimes rests slightly high. From arm's length however I would struggle to tell it apart from Gen.

I never expected perfection for less than 5% of Gen cost, and somtimes even the Gens are not perfect. In a strange way I rather like it's flaws. They make me appreciate how difficult it must be to design and manufacture fine watches.

I agree - it must be especially difficult given the high risk legal aspects of building replicas. Also, given all of the various factories and versions, it's kind of like an Easter egg hunt to find and acquire the best possible example. If they were all perfect, it probably wouldn't be as much fun - no franken building, no anticipation for the next upgraded version, etc, no need for a forum to discuss all of the intrigue and news.

Orville

Horology Curious
26/4/20
The 2nd-Order Update

After my Sub had arrived from PT I quickly decided upon a Black Bay Bronze/Blue (Bucherer) for my second purchase. Adding the timeline for comparison to my original post.

2020-05-17 Order placed for Tudor Black Bay Bronze/Blue (Bucherer).
2020-05-18 Transferwise payment details received.
2020-05-18 Payment made.
2020-05-19 Payment received/confirmed by PureTime.
2020-05-22 QC Pictures received and approved.
2020-05-26 Received notification that my order will be sent out. Informed that tracking info to follow in 2-3 business days.
2020-05-28 Shipment confirmation received including tracking info.

Parcel Tracking
2020-05-28 23:49 Shipment picked up HONG KONG - HONG KONG
2020-05-29 01:30 Processed at HONG KONG - HONG KONG
2020-05-29 02:27 Departed Facility in HONG KONG - HONG KONG
2020-05-29 17:05 Processed at HONG KONG - HONG KONG
2020-05-29 18:56 Departed Facility in HONG KONG - HONG KONG
2020-05-30 02:52 Transferred through LEIPZIG - LEIPZIG - GERMANY
2020-05-30 02:53 Departed Facility in LEIPZIG - LEIPZIG - GERMANY
2020-05-30 02:18 Customs status updated EAST MIDLANDS - UK
2020-05-30 03:33 Arrived at Sort Facility EAST MIDLANDS - UK
2020-05-30 04:09 Clearance processing complete at EAST MIDLANDS - UK
2020-05-30 04:11 Processed at EAST MIDLANDS - UK
2020-05-30 05:33 Departed Facility in EAST MIDLANDS - UK
2020-05-30 07:50 Arrived at Sort Facility LONDON-HEATHROW - UK
2020-05-31 20:52 Processed at LONDON-HEATHROW - UK
2020-06-01 04:34 Departed Facility in LONDON-HEATHROW - UK
2020-06-01 06:15 Arrived at Delivery Facility in DOCKLANDS - UK
2020-06-01 09:57 With delivery courie DOCKLANDS - UK
2020-06-01 15:35 Delivered

For my Sub PT used 4PX, but this time around they used DHL as the delivery service. DHL did take a little longer to collect the package from PT, but it transitied their network faster and arrived at my door just 16-days after initial order. In reality DHL arrived one day faster than 4PX, so not much between for UK-deliveries.

One thing I should add is that DHL issued a Customs Charge (Import Duty). Fortunately this was only £4 (~$5), so nothing major, but 4PX delivered without charge. Overall, both couriers did a good job.

I am very happy with the BB.
k95PD.jpg

Last edited:

puretime

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
16/3/06
Thanks for your supporting to Puretime. A great review once again and it's really helpful.

We look forward to recieving more orders from you !

gstand

22/4/20
Wow...another one already?!....that was fast.

How ironic - I was just looking at getting a gen Tudor Blackbay (either BB58 or heritage), when my eye was drawn to the bronze model that you just received - very nice indeed. The Tudors really have a vintage look and style to them. Of course, now I'm going to have to look at the replica version as well.....congrats on that beautiful BB Bronze!