• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Yet another first timer

Thelux

Horology Curious
29/11/18
First I would like to say this site is invaluable as it gives a lot of information to manage expectation. It really is about expectation when dealing with purchases.
Ok was looking for a luxury watch for my wife who is really a practical person. I convinced her to get a replica watch as she would never want to spend on a gen even if we can afford.
So I wanted to pick a model that was spot on 1:1. I settled on a Cartier ballon bleu 33mm with the seiko NH05A movement.
I actually wanted to buy 3 watches but there was so much trouble trying to order and only was able to get 1 watch through. Paying with a credit card is struggle and I supposed bitcoin is the best option but to me it’s just not worth the trouble.
Had the usual higher charge to be expected which was 45usd higher after all the conversion or bank fees or whatever happens in the background. If I didn’t read the forum beforehand I probably would be frustrated but I expected.
The usual QC pics which I thought there was some screw finish problems. Seems not the case when receiving it. The pics is much clearer than your eye can see. Had an amplitude of 258 which I thought was on the low side but they assure me it’s ok. On a side note, I recently I took a watch making class and fully disassemble and reassemble a hand wind seagull movement. It’s where I learned where 280 is a better range for a movement. Let me add I have much respect for people who modify their rep trying to achieve a closer 1:1. It’s not easy to work on movements. The parts are insanely small. So sorry to digress , I approved and they shipped it.
The shipping is very fast and I received the watch.
The quality was pretty good except for a pretty big blemish on the bracelet. I wish they would have caught that in the QC pics. I’m actually used refinishing my own watches myself so I was able to fix it.
The movement had a major problem. It gained 30 min from the time my wife went to work and return which was a 6-7 hour timeframe. I tested that night the watch in stationary position in 4 positions. All were accurate. I was able to pick up a quirk in the movement though. The second hand would jump at random times when the watch is moving. Yikes. I thought a seiko would be a reliable movement. Perhaps when modifying for cosmetic additions, they have changed the reliability. I looked up the movement and it supposed to have a hacking feature but it doesn’t. Something is different.
Anyway of course I checked for magnetism and for hands that may be bumping. Neither problems.
My brother is actually a watch maker and well of course he cannot diagnose without it in his hand. He speculated the problem may be a brake spring problem causing the jerk in the second hand. Who knows and I’m not gonna spend 2000usd to fly him out to service a 430 dollar watch lol.
So puretime CS is pretty good. They are very responsive. Not knowing a local watchmaker that services reps will make this an one option affair. Will have to ship the watch back at my own cost. I had some expectation of this worse case scenario. Even now I don’t know the cost to ship but in my head I have to times by 2 because there is no guarantee it’s fixed the first time around.
So I post this about managing expectations for newbies.
Who is this rep world for? it’s not for impatient people. It’s not for cheap people as their are hidden costs. Maybe add a 100usd to the listed cost.
QC will not catch everything cosmetic and mechanical. It’s good to have a watch maker in your back pocket to develop a relationship with. It’s good to have a basic knowledge of watches as well. I recommend people to take a class. It’s also good to practice basic cosmetic refinishing on your old watches in case your rep needs work from the start. No sense in shipping back on a minor problem.
Best edition doesn’t really mean anything in terms of quality and paying more doesn’t guarantee better quality as well. There are risks to be taken when in this world and I realize at any point in the shipping of back and forth, the watch may be confiscated. Also the risk of I told you so from your “better half” haha. Of course she’s livid. Oh well. Cannot sell it. Cannot return it. Move forward.
I’m sure puretime is not happy as well as it eats into their profit as well. They are just a middleman.
And some missed opportunity. I know my watch friends don’t travel with their luxury watches. I know they are not snobby enough to stick their noses up about reps but my original intent of showing off the quality of a rep in a watch meet will not happen. I guess they are stuck with their throwaway seikos as they have no patience.
Would I get another ? Not sure for now. Let’s see how this ends.
I wasn’t sure if I wanted to post but I felt obligated to help others as others who has posted and contributed as well.

Reactions: Michu

puretime

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
16/3/06
Thank you for your review, although it is not a very positive one (not very negative either, thank you for your kind words) but we can learn from it and improve our service in the future.

I am sorry about everything, I dont know what to respond but I want to say I am truly sorry for what happened to your order. I just wish we could find those problem before shipping your watch.

I think the best option we have is to send the watch back and we can bring it back to the maker to have a look. I know it is not a preferred option and I am open to any suggestions.

I am sure we will work this out together, please PM me your order number and we can discuss on PM.

Please accept my sincere apologies and thank you for all your kind words even the watch doesnt meet your expectation.

Have a great day.

Reactions: dubhdubhdubh

puretime

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
16/3/06
I have sent to you a PM. please check and let me know. Thank you

Last edited:

Thelux

Horology Curious
29/11/18
Just updating if anyone is curious on the repair timetable.
Shipped out December 1 from Southeast Asia
received on December 15

Thelux

Horology Curious
29/11/18
I have emailed. No updates as of now. Just to urge the maker..

Thelux

Horology Curious
29/11/18
Might as well post an update.

Jan 22, says watch is repaired and they will monitor before shipping back.
Wait patiently as Chinese New Year approaches
Feb 26, requested update again
Feb 28, "just got it back from maker. will test for you again" I thought they already repaired it. I don't know...

Continue waiting.. not sure what's going on...

puretime

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
16/3/06
Might as well post an update.

Jan 22, says watch is repaired and they will monitor before shipping back.
Wait patiently as Chinese New Year approaches
Feb 26, requested update again
Feb 28, "just got it back from maker. will test for you again" I thought they already repaired it. I don't know...

Continue waiting.. not sure what's going on...

I am sorry for keeping you waiting. My team has tested for days but the movement still has issues . We will return it one more time to the factory and
You can check with Shuang for any further status

Thelux

Horology Curious
29/11/18
Hi. Your email no longer works. I don’t know how to contact you. It’s been a long time and I haven’t received a repaired watch. I have nothing still..

Thelux

Horology Curious
29/11/18
I don’t have the watch or my money. It’s been over 6 months now. Their email doesn’t work. Site is down.
What do I do now ?
edit: i see the new website and sent an email. It's kind of ridiculous now.

Last edited:

puretime

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
16/3/06
Hi. Your email no longer works. I don’t know how to contact you. It’s been a long time and I haven’t received a repaired watch. I have nothing still..

I am sorry we recently changed our domain name and email addresses. Please send it to [email protected] Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience caused

puretime

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
16/3/06
yeah i sent an email to there. no response yet. i opened a RWI Help Desk Ticket. I have no choice at this point.

Please PM me your order number again. I will check from my side. Sorry for the inconvenience caused

Redone

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/5/19
Please let us know what is the status now and if this has been solved so far.
good luck!

Thelux

Horology Curious
29/11/18
Please PM me your order number again. I will check from my side. Sorry for the inconvenience caused

i PM you the repair order just now

A few days ago, bkg(moderator) has contacted us both inquiring what's going on but i haven't gotten any response you guys.

puretime

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
16/3/06
i PM you the repair order just now

A few days ago, bkg(moderator) has contacted us both inquiring what's going on but i haven't gotten any response you guys.

Thank you. I will check and let you know