• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob pressure testing

NavySubmariner

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/10/18
I just wanted an opinion, is there anything specific that is a weakness to a Noob keeping water out to maybe 100m? Do they leak or is it just that they are simply not tested high enough?

puretime

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
16/3/06
100 meters? That's a lot! It is not recommended to go that deep with a replica watch but sometimes a replica watch can go down to 100M without problems. There is no point to wear a watch when you dive :)

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
It's not a real watch, it's a toy, which is why it only costs about 10% of the price of the real one.

JohnnyBe

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/1/16
Well since the watch is towards gen spec,if you go for a noob submariner model,you could get it to be water resistant to 100m,if the case allows it.but you ll surely have to go gen gasket with crystal,gen o rings etc.i wouldnt bother,there are plenty of cheap divers watches out there at half the price.

Reactions: Wellesson

ShovelnTC

Renowned Member
14/6/13
AU
Yep I love my Reps but when going into the water I wear one of my tested budget Gens.

Plenty of guys have gained successful WR with their Reps but as Angus noted if you are diving that deep buy something that is purpose built for the job.

Kdawggy

Known Member
3/4/18
if you are diving that deep buy something that is purpose built for the job.

Yep, like a dive computer. There's no way in hell I'd rely on a watch (gen or rep) to do the job of a dive computer. I know people say watches can be used as a backup, but that's what your buddy is for.

Plus, your perspective is off when diving due to the magnification effect water has. I'd be paranoid about dinging the watch off something, especially when trying to navigate tight rocks/coral etc.

NavySubmariner

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/10/18
It's not really a case of genuine gaskets etc. it is a question of how close the dimensional control is in the sealing areas and whether the gasket properly energises when the pressure increases.

Reactions: Rx4Time

puretime

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
16/3/06
The manufacturing tolerance of replicas are very different from pieces to pieces, even they are constructed as genuine and they are supposed to be as waterproof as genuine but as other members mentioned, the reps also uses some inferior parts like gaskets, o-rings, so it is not recommended to use replica watches for diving, even the genuine, what if the gen hits a rock when you dive? ;)

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
There is so much variance in machining tolerances between cases of the same model of watch that there's no way of knowing before what you'll get before you get it.

Just buy a real dive watch if you want WR

puretime

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
16/3/06
There is so much variance in machining tolerances between cases of the same model of watch that there's no way of knowing before what you'll get before you get it.

Just buy a real dive watch if you want WR

+1

kryckan13

Renowned Member
25/6/17
Sweden
My GF Avenger Bandit and my Noob V7 Hulk were both tested to 100 meters (10 bar) by my watchsmith. Both watches passed the test so replicas can be good enough for diving. Have them tested first though.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Reactions: NavySubmariner

puretime

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
16/3/06
Yes the 1:1 replicas are made in the same spec as the genuine so they are supposed to be able to dive, always get it tested before going into water. The waterproofing test we did for the watches are for daily uses that it make sure the watch is waterproof for hand washing, raining and probably showering.

Jester929rr

The inquisitive one
18/9/18
I’d love to know how many people on this forum have dived that deep. I’ve scuba dived many, many times and never been to 100 meters. That’s a long way down. Industry standard depth limit for recreational divers is 39m.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

puretime

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
16/3/06
I’d love to know how many people on this forum have dived that deep. I’ve scuba dived many, many times and never been to 100 meters. That’s a long way down. Industry standard depth limit for recreational divers is 39m.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

I think they just want to make sure it can go down to 100 meters so they can swim, scuba dive with the watch, for professional diving, professional timing device will be used.