• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Massive Overcharge With PureTime - Any Input is Highly Appreciated

mamallama2277

Horology Curious
20/1/20

Over charged about $90 from my recent PureTime order. Was told there would be an international fee but almost $100 is ridiculous imo. What do you guys think? Is this reasonable?

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
6P5Ei.jpg
6PW3b.jpg

Over charged about $90 from my recent PureTime order. Was told there would be an international fee but almost $100 is ridiculous imo. What do you guys think? Is this reasonable?

The CHARGE HASN'T BEEN MADE BY PURETIME . Firstly you have been charged an international transfer fee of $21.11 by your card supplier . The further $64.80 was charged by the card processor using DDC ' Dynamic Currency Conversion ' . The card processor has paid PT $463 as you agreed ! However they convert your payment into local currency and apply a poorer exchange rate than the FX rate meaning you pay more to complete the transaction . The extra $64.80 the card processor keeps as a fee .

This can happen when paying for legitimate goods let alone illegal counterfeit goods from China . There is lots of information on why using a CC isn't a good idea when buying a replica watch on the forum . I think there is a forum sticky about it somewhere. There are threads like this from new members at least once a month , and PT usually has to field questions about MasterCard payments . The card processor is I believe is aware of PT's business so it is classed as high risk( counterfeit goods / charge backs / seized watches etc etc ) .I think he has put something about it on his website now ( I may be wrong)

The card processor wants to eat as well chap .:D What would I do ? I would suck it up and put it down to experience, and use a different payment method next time . That is not being mean , this happened to me on my first ever rep purchase. Though I had the nouse to work out what had happened , rather than post a thread about being overcharged.

I began using a TD who accepted WU payments which suits me ( though still not the cheapest fee wise ) . Again there is a transaction fee , and they offer an inferior exchange rate to FX ( which means they collect a extra fee ) , but at least I know the cost up front . I know what I am paying the TD and what it is costing me to send it ( fee + exchange rate ) It is also much cheaper than using CC . Luckily I now have trust with my TD so he allows me to use PayPal ( which many dealers won't) , which is easier and again cheaper for me .

ALL payment methods will have a cost , hidden ( exchange rate etc ) or transaction fee . You just have to pick your poison.

Last edited:

tkingjr

Watches & woodworking
Gold Patron
Certified
7/4/16
Northeast USA and Shenzhen, China
@mamallama2277 Buying illegal counterfeit watches is not the same as buying on Amazon. When you join you should spend weeks reading so you understand the process. Puretime has 2 posts in their TD section describing the process in great detail. Puretime did nothing wrong. as chocolito pointed out in detail. Long time members see posts just like yours every week. You join, run out to buy your watch, and end up looking foolish for not doing your homework.

Reactions: mclarendude

mamallama2277

Horology Curious
20/1/20
The CHARGE HASN'T BEEN MADE BY PURETIME . Firstly you have been charged an international transfer fee of $21.11 by your card supplier . The further $64.80 was charged by the card processor using DDC ' Dynamic Currency Conversion ' . The card processor has paid PT $463 as you agreed ! However they convert your payment into local currency and apply a poorer exchange rate than the FX rate meaning you pay more to complete the transaction . The extra $64.80 the card processor keeps as a fee .

This can happen when paying for legitimate goods let alone illegal counterfeit goods from China . There is lots of information on why using a CC isn't a good idea when buying a replica watch on the forum . I think there is a forum sticky about it somewhere. There are threads like this from new members at least once a month , and PT usually has to field questions about MasterCard payments . The card processor is I believe is aware of PT's business so it is classed as high risk( counterfeit goods / charge backs / seized watches etc etc ) .I think he has put something about it on his website now ( I may be wrong)

The card processor wants to eat as well chap .:D What would I do ? I would suck it up and put it down to experience, and use a different payment method next time . That is not being mean , this happened to me on my first ever rep purchase. Though I had the nouse to work out what had happened , rather than post a thread about being overcharged.

I began using a TD who accepted WU payments which suits me ( though still not the cheapest fee wise ) . Again there is a transaction fee , and they offer an inferior exchange rate to FX ( which means they collect a extra fee ) , but at least I know the cost up front . I know what I am paying the TD and what it is costing me to send it ( fee + exchange rate ) It is also much cheaper than using CC . Luckily I now have trust with my TD so he allows me to use PayPal ( which many dealers won't) , which is easier and again cheaper for me .

ALL payment methods will have a cost , hidden ( exchange rate etc ) or transaction fee . You just have to pick your poison.

Very informative answer. Thank you!

Seamusflood

I'm Pretty Popular
29/8/16
Mate have a read up about Coinbase.
Easy to add funds and pay via bitcoin
It saves 5% with must sellers and the exchange is fair blokes no massive fees

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
If you think that’s massive, I’ve got something to show you. ::creepy giggle::

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
Mate have a read up about Coinbase.
Easy to add funds and pay via bitcoin
It saves 5% with must sellers and the exchange is fair blokes no massive fees

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Yeah right, please recommend crypto currency. I can already see the next thread.
"I paid 400 Dollars and got a refund of 380 USD! It was actually bitcoins, but I expect [and so on...]"

Dirkjon

Supporter
Certified
15/4/12
USA
If you pay by CC or PayPal you have some recourse if you don't get what you pay for as it was represented, or if you don't receive it at all. Pay by any other method....bitcoin, Zelle, WU, whatever, and you have ZERO recourse other than submitting a ticket here. Tells me something when a seller, TD or M2M won't take a payment by CC or PayPal imho.

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
Palm Beach
Oh, look at you. Now that you're a sales mod, it's like you're too good to be a sexual predator. Fine! :::zips it up:::

::kicks-rocks::

I was having a bad day and this really made me laugh. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hazing

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
I was having a bad day and this really made me laugh. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope it’s nothing too serious, buddy. There’s a whole lotta nonsense going on and these crazy time create crazy situations that makes things get frustrating easily. Whatever it is, I hope it passes quickly.

Regardless of when it passes the end result will probably be the same. I don’t want to spoil the ending or anything, but usually, in the end, everything is going to be okay.

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
Transferwise is the easiest way to go as you still pay using your credit card and its quick and fees are low. Don't have to mess with the crypto rates or transfer any funds to somewhere first.

Just make the order by email and ask payment details for Transferwise.