Announcement

Collapse

Please Consider Supporting RWI Today!

We depend on Supporter & Patron subscriptions to pay the bills. Please consider supporting RWI TODAY, CLICK HERE for info on how to subscribe.
See more
See less

[REVIEW] of a dressy HUBLOT 38mm TUIGA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[REVIEW] of a dressy HUBLOT 38mm TUIGA

Hi folks,

rainy boring afternoon, why not sharing one of the latest arrival here ?

A 38mm Tuiga "Monaco Yacht Club" Hublot.

A quartz rep ? One of these soulless timekeeper ? Absolutely ! I'm going to try to show you that budget reps can be great to wear and catch your neighbour's eyes the same way an expensive superrep does.

How did I choose this particular model ?

I've been actually chasing for a small Hublot for a while, after I offered one for my wife's birthday and realized that the build quality was just very good.
    As the watch is pretty well sized for a lady (38mm) I thought it could fit my girly wrist, especially given that I was considering these as dressy watches

The gen series have a quartz movement (probably ETA), which was also exactly what I was looking for : something reliable, without the headache of servicing the movement once in a while.
    The problem of quartz reps is that they're often of poor quality, as the quartz movement is rather meant to lower the costs, together with an average to poor construction and materials.
    Here definitely not : the repmakers tried to mimic a quartz watch, so they logically installed a quartz movement ; the goal was not to save costs, but to make a rep that is as close as possible from the gen. They actually managed it pretty well... If I find some time and some mebers have an interest on it, I may review the diamond bezel version in the future.

Back to the watch I'm reviewing now : I wandered on Watcheden's store who has a huge choice of Hublot reps and instantly got caught by the engraved lugs and bezel.
    Besides the chosen model had a rose gold plated case, which is something I usually appreciate for dressy watches. This is my "old man"'s taste emerging from time to time. :biglaugh:
    And here we went, I made my inquiry to Marvellous Replica, and a couple of weeks later, my watch landed here.

So how is it as a watch ?

As previously mentionned, I find the construction good, there is no weak point in the fit and finish. The crystal is an AR coated sapphire, which I found to be too blueish. But that's just me I believe. I naturally sent it to FineDD and the result was as usual : fast and perfect

The strap is a nice rubber one, quite stiff, that does not take dust, which is a no-go for me.
    The movement is a Ronda quartz, with Swiss parts. I know some models come with a Miyota one, and I have no preference actually, as Ronda is just as good (and inexpensive) as Miyota... and vice-versa !
    Some higher end models come with an ETA quartz. Up to you to decide what's best for you. I believe it's more a question of how it looks like than a reliability issue. Here's a picture of the ETA movement : nice, isn't it ?

And now to the pictures. The first batch are mine, the second are MR's QC pictures, who I find to be a great photographer

Courtesy from Marvellous Replica

As some of you noticed, the hands that came originally have been changed. I found the RG ones a bit dull and had lumed ones and a red seconds hand installed instead, to match the Tuiga flags. I'm very satisfied with the result, although it's wrong against the gen...

But how is it as a rep ?

Honestly when I chose this model, I was captivated by the engraved bezel and lugs and had not even thought a genuine counterpart would exist.
    Googling for the Tuiga HBB, I found out that the repmaker actually based the dial design on an existing Hublot : the Classic Fusion Yacht Club de Monaco.

After a few seconds staring at this beauty, I believe everyone understood that my model has absolutely nothing to do with the gen : the dial was adapted to a 38mm HBB, whereas the genuine is 45mm, has a different caseshape, is an automatic and has a different crown.
    Here's a link to an article about it : http://www.lacotedesmontres.com/actu...co-No_7285.htm (in French sorry).

Definitely this replica is a fantasy but... isn't it a peculiar and original piece ?

I'm very satisfied with my purchase and that watch is a keeper for me.
    I'm seriously thinking of having a croco leather strap done for it, I'm sure it would look awesome. The problem of course is to find a potential maker. Any suggestion is welcome.

Here's a copy/paste of an English article, which I don't want to link to, as it seems it comes from a scam site.

Hublot Classic Fusion Yacht Club de Monaco

Hublot has created several timepieces to commemorate special events across the world. After unveiling a special timepiece to commemorate the “Hublot, the Perfect Polo Matchâ€; Hublot has now released a limited edition timepiece to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Yacht Club of Monaco. Named the Hublot Classic Fusion Yacht Club de Monaco, this timepiece is a class apart. The luxurious timepiece dressed in 18ct yellow gold with rubber and titanium measures 45mm. The carbon fiber dial adds a sleek and modern touch to this classy timepiece. The crystal is an AR-coated sapphire and the watch is water resistant to 100 meters. Powered by an automatic Hublot caliber HUB1100 with 21 jewels, this classy timepiece boasts of a power reserve of 42 hours.

Being a snob is not always a bad thing, but people who wear emblems on their jackets are usually snobs. Not that I am free from guilt in this area, but emblems pretty much anywhere are snobbish. Are you a snob? I am going to go out on a limb and hypothesize that most members of the Yacht Club de Monaco are snobs. Basically, they are in or near Monaco, and are members of an exclusive yacht club. That pretty much sums it up right there don’t you think?

2009 is the 100th anniversary of the Monaco Yacht Club. Monaco and watches go together. For example, the prestigious Only Watch 2009 auction is being held at the Monaco Yacht Show. The club’s pride is the Tuiga, a yacht from 1909 that seems to be an important part of what they do. See image of it above. The name of the yacht is also placed on this new timepiece from Hublot. It is meant to help celebrate the “Tuiga Centenary.†See Hublot CEO Jean-Claude Biver handing one of the watches off with the ruler of Monaco (and yacht + watch aficionado) HSH Prince Albert. The guys both love watches, and apparently dorky yachting themed ties as well. I don’t think those ever looked good.

The watch however is not bad if you are into this sort of thing. You have the club’s flags on it as well as some centenary imagery. The timepiece is basically the three hand version of the Hublot Big Bang watch in 18k rose gold with a black ceramic bezel, and a carbon fiber face. The case is 45mm wide and also has a fair amount of titanium and rubber in the construction. The movement is the HUB1100 automatic, with Hublot’s now famous looking black rotor. The watch is water resistant to 100 meters.
    I hope you enjoyed the short review and pictorial.

So who hits the gay button first ?
    Retired staffer. Sorry don't expect immediate answers to your messages.

what's gay about it?? it's getting more and more normal, that men wear smaller watches again, so only the fact that we normally think of a 45 mm watch, when speaking of hbb, could make some call tis gay!
    personally, I was looking at this bezel from the first time you posted a pic of it- it looks amazing!
    so far I'm not comfortable wearing a 38mm watch atm, but I think it looks really nice, and the quality looks amazing!
    thanks for sharing.
    my watches: hublot daytona, omega ploprof quartz chronograpf, frank mueller datejust chrono, invicta big bang 25mm all from swiss-AAA-replicastore.scam

actually trk looks like this -->

thanks for the gif ThinkBachs

Comment

And here our "beloved" Mr Biver with Albert II de Monaco (General manager of the Wolrd's largest billionaires' zoo"

Comment

And an other pic of the gen together with the Tuiga boat...

Comment

Wonderful review Pix.
          And your pictures are once more excellent.
          Visit My collection

LE FRENCH CORNER
          10eme GTG lyonnais
          N'hesitez pas a visiter également le 'French Quarter' sur RWG1.1

Comment

Thx Boudart, I will use LFH's address in Paris to try to have a croc custom strap done for it : brown or black ?

Comment

I think black. +1 on the great pics pix
              my watches: hublot daytona, omega ploprof quartz chronograpf, frank mueller datejust chrono, invicta big bang 25mm all from swiss-AAA-replicastore.scam

actually trk looks like this -->

thanks for the gif ThinkBachs

Comment

Pix, you're a trendsetter! I've been itching to buy smaller watches (for my smaller wrist) but have found they're often labeled for the ladies. With your endorsement, I'm full fledged ahead. I guess if 90% won't even know the connotation/price of your watch brand, maybe 90% won't know it's a lady's model?

Comment

Originally posted by Pix, post: 613064
                  Thx Boudart, I will use LFH's address in Paris to try to have a croc custom strap done for it : brown or black ?
                  I'll have to say back too.
                  Could you PM me this famous address, I didn't know anthing about it...
                  Visit My collection

LE FRENCH CORNER
                  10eme GTG lyonnais
                  N'hesitez pas a visiter également le 'French Quarter' sur RWG1.1

Comment

Pix, you always manage to come up with surprising watches. While 38mm really is too small for me (and too big for my girls) that watch looks nice. Your mod also added to the watch.

Can't press the reputation button for you often enough

However I'd leave it at rubber since that was the original Hublot idea and it fits very well. But that's just me and if it gets worn more often with an alligator slice, why not .
                    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Please note:
                    I have disabled my personal messages.

For important issues please
                    submit a support ticket here

Comment

Thx all.
                      I wish I had more sare time for pics and reviews.
                      @DVL : you're robably right on the rubber. I saw Guru's Big Bang on leather, and I do believe it compliments the watch. But I don't like the contrasted stitching, it would need to be black on black.

Comment

Very nice! I really like the look of this watch.
                        ROOSTER133 :roo:

Comment

The 45 mm replica of this Tuiga version is sold anywhere?

Comment

No, I haven't seen it, and if ever I believe they would put the dial on a King or something, making it anyway wrong vs the shape of gen, which is specific.
                            I like the idea of engraved bezels, maybe this could be a nice mod on a full ceramic Big Bang

Comment

Working...
                            X