• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My new super rep NWBIG ZF 5296G Sector Dial Calatrava

Horace Derwent

Known Member
17/6/10
It is of relatively modest volume, similar to gen Patek movements. I never understood the fascination of rotor noise within the rep community. All of my gens are extremely loud and wildly spin to the point where even just making a turn in my car with my hand on the steering wheel will set off the movement on a noisy 10 second rendezvous. No need to silence the rotors on rep movements, all my gens are quite noisy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would quote this post endlessly!

My friends have only gens.... I can assure that the PP Aquanaut rotor is loud!

It should be an old reference like 5066A, the Jumbo model..... It's loud!!!

Accord11

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
2/12/20
I will try.Please share more of your thoughts on the reps you think are the finest. It is glad to have opinions from gen owners

I’m happy to offer my opinion if you have any questions.

KilltheDeath

Known Member
4/10/20
My 5296r has arrived.
The rotor sound is surprisingly loud. I wonder how loud the gen is. I will find a modder to silent it for me.

Accord11

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
2/12/20
My 5296r has arrived.
The rotor sound is surprisingly loud. I wonder how loud the gen is. I will find a modder to silent it for me.

The gen literally makes a LOUD buzzing/zipping noise when you’re not even expecting it.

this is normal.

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
Could you please share your comparison between the zf and gen please?

YEP ACCORD should be invaluable to this forum . He seems to like posting pictures and contributing .As the current owner of 15+ genuine Pateks he should do some gen/rep comparisons for us .

Last edited:
Reactions: sls500 and kavorca1

Accord11

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
2/12/20
In terms of gen comparisons, this is real simple: the only good Patek reps are the rep 5711, 5712, 5167A, 5168G, 5227R and G, and 5296R and G — all of these for me are close to NWBIG. Every other Patek rep is just garbage and the grand complication reps are embarrassing.

For AP, it’s similar. The 15202, 15400, and 15500 reps are all excellent and reach close to NWBIG status. The offshores are all nice but extremely thick, for me not a deterrence and most are NWBIG for me.

Other than that, that’s it IMO. The Chinese factories have focused on repping well only the most in demand Pateks and APs and have paid little attention to the less popular Patek and APs that aren’t featured everyday on Instagram, which is a real shame.

I sold almost my entire gen collection of Patek and AP once I saw how good reps were maybe 9 months ago when I first got into reps. I made a long post a while ago with my reasons and details, check out my post history and you’ll find it. To quickly summarize, the Swiss watch industry has become predatory and alienated their most loyal collectors, prices are grossly inflated, and it makes little sense to buy gen when there are so many good reps out there that enable me to fill my Bosphorous Leather watch briefcase that holds 30 watches and brings me MORE enjoyment as I had when it was filled with gen watches. I have spent about $25k on reps in the last 6-9 months while at the same time selling my gen collection that returned to me a substantial amount of money. Gen watches are rarely ever worth it and justifying finishing to the care and detail that warrants a Geneva hallmark is simply not worth it to me anymore….it’s all bullshit.

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
To quickly summarize, the Swiss watch industry has become predatory and alienated their most loyal collectors, prices are grossly inflated, and it makes little sense to buy gen when there are so many good reps out there that enable me to fill my Bosphorous Leather watch briefcase that holds 30 watches and brings me MORE enjoyment as I had when it was filled with gen watches. I have spent about $25k on reps in the last 6-9 months while at the same time selling my gen collection that returned to me a substantial amount of money. Gen watches are rarely ever worth it and justifying finishing to the care and detail that warrants a Geneva hallmark is simply not worth it to me anymore….it’s all bullshit.

I could not agree more, very well said. It's all Emperor's New Clothes nonsense.

I do still want a Zeitwork though.

And I still love your shoes.

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
In terms of gen comparisons, this is real simple: the only good Patek reps are the rep 5711, 5712, 5167A, 5168G, 5227R and G, and 5296R and G — all of these for me are close to NWBIG. Every other Patek rep is just garbage and the grand complication reps are embarrassing.

For AP, it’s similar. The 15202, 15400, and 15500 reps are all excellent and reach close to NWBIG status. The offshores are all nice but extremely thick, for me not a deterrence and most are NWBIG for me.

Other than that, that’s it IMO. The Chinese factories have focused on repping well only the most in demand Pateks and APs and have paid little attention to the less popular Patek and APs that aren’t featured everyday on Instagram, which is a real shame.

I sold almost my entire gen collection of Patek and AP once I saw how good reps were maybe 9 months ago when I first got into reps. I made a long post a while ago with my reasons and details, check out my post history and you’ll find it. To quickly summarize, the Swiss watch industry has become predatory and alienated their most loyal collectors, prices are grossly inflated, and it makes little sense to buy gen when there are so many good reps out there that enable me to fill my Bosphorous Leather watch briefcase that holds 30 watches and brings me MORE enjoyment as I had when it was filled with gen watches. I have spent about $25k on reps in the last 6-9 months while at the same time selling my gen collection that returned to me a substantial amount of money. Gen watches are rarely ever worth it and justifying finishing to the care and detail that warrants a Geneva hallmark is simply not worth it to me anymore….it’s all bullshit.

I got my tenses wrong , my bad ! When you posted 5 days ago ' as the owner of 15+ genuine Pateks ' i thought we were in the present tense ! I should of realised it was past tense and you had sold them all . I get where you are coming from though i sold my Patek Grand Chime when i realised how good watches knocked up in a Chinese chicken shack were . More power to you .

Accord11

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
2/12/20
I got my tenses wrong , my bad ! When you posted 5 days ago ' as the owner of 15+ genuine Pateks ' i thought we were in the present tense ! I should of realised it was past tense and you had sold them all . I get where you are coming from though i sold my Patek Grand Chime when i realised how good watches knocked up in a Chinese chicken shack were . More power to you .

Patek “Grand Chime”? You owned a $3.5 million grand master chime? Photos please.

KilltheDeath

Known Member
4/10/20
Would you switch the strap? The strap seems a little bit shabby to me as you can feel the quality difference.
Which strap dealer would you recommend? I found the strap TD here are mostly closed.

zinduna

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
4/7/09
Reactions: SuperBatman

Accord11

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
2/12/20
Would you switch the strap? The strap seems a little bit shabby to me as you can feel the quality difference.
Which strap dealer would you recommend? I found the strap TD here are mostly closed.

The strap is fine. There is no need to replace it.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
The strap is fine. There is no need to replace it.

I agree. Might not feel as supple as gen but certainly looks the part. What I don’t like is those aftermarket straps that people commission - that are just too robust feeling for such a thin watch.

soliloqueen

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/7/21
I'm considering this for my first ever rep! It's reasonable! The second ring is rotated about a degree counterclockwise and the quarter minute markers are off equally on all the models. This seems to be not a QC issue, but an error in their source art for the print itself, as it's consistent in every picture I've seen. It could probably be permanently fixed in a couple minutes with the original art file. I'm a little disappointed something like that flew under the radar, especially considering how easy the fix would be, but their case work is the best I've seen for Calatravas!

Last edited: