• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New ZF Aquanaut 5164a Travel Time

DerpyOfficer

DerpiestOfWatchmakers
Patron
Certified
8/2/20
Sorry bandwidth issues caused a double post :)

Just as a heads up, but you can't post QC pictures with the intent for other people to help you green or red light it. You can post QC pictures showing other people what you've approved or disapproved.

Reactions: DD60 and pip72

pip72

21/2/19
Last edited by a moderator:

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06
wonder why they can't get that damn CG shape down right....too obvious tell IMO

Zg6t2D.jpg

Reactions: pip72

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19

Zg6t2D.jpg

I don't think that's even close to an "obvious tell" man... it's different but no way will anyone but a fanatic notice that

The thick GMT hand however...

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06
I don't think that's even close to an "obvious tell" man... it's different but no way will anyone but a fanatic notice that

The thick GMT hand however...

nah, it's pretty damn obvious as hell. don't need a fanatic to notice that ugly ass looking CG.

looks like they've adapted the old GRF case without making any changes to it. quite a poor effort from ZF.

jcguo0516

4/12/18
you do you, no one peer pressure you anything, i was saying it looks fine for 1mm off, im just not that kind of person to be picky for a rep, i didnt call you names, no need be hostile against me

btw it did looks good on this one for sure

ZgLiWI.jpg

Received my second QC model after rejecting the first, and would you look at that... the date indicator is actually centered and much better now.

Now imagine if I succumbed to the peer pressure of the goofs who thought it was a bad idea to RL the initial one and be stuck with an inaccurate date meter :lol3:

So glad I did, this looks wonderful!

Last edited:

jcguo0516

4/12/18
i think that’s because they dont have the gen for this watch to measure everything correctly, they probably eyeballing everything, tbh. the shape is not so bad, the left pushers is also a bit weird to me, but doesn’t bother me, I just ordered from PT

Zg6t2D.jpg

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17

it is because of the crown position - the gen sits much higher whereas the rep uses a thicker module on top of the 9015.

that is the reason for the crown not cutting deep enough into the „crown guard“.

making the gap bigger will result in a bigger visual issue than this 1mm extra material.

That‘s also the reason why it looks the same on the GRF - they simply don‘t have access to the gen let alone the 324 clone to build a custom complication…

One day you guys will hate the 1mm extra on a rep perpetual calendar with proper functionality - i can already smell it haha:hehehe:

Agyo553322

Horology Curious
23/8/20
Hey guys, received My QC pics from trusty, already accepted, the crown seems to be sticking out a bit, but not a big issue for me. Should receive the watch in RL in a few days since im China- based, ill get more images then!

Reactions: Meicmo84 and pip72

Agyo553322

Horology Curious
23/8/20
Got my ZF TT in hands!
jDhsts.jpg

And I have some observations
- Overall fit and feel are great, super well-executed brushing, very satisfying depth on the dial creating a very nice wrist experience
jDhuNY.jpg

- GMT function is working, only weird thing is that the day indicator (white part) starts the transition from night to day at 1 PM.

jDh7KD.jpg

- pushers on the side seem not to "stick out" as GEN ( pic from HODINKEE website). I can't be 100% on that one because i have never handled a GEN
jDhE1k.jpg

- the clasp on this watch is terrible, I believe I got a defective one, not too worried about it I can source a ZF clasp easily

jDhNMo.jpg
Thats it, hope you guys like this mini review! feel free to ask questions.

Last edited:

Fervid

I'm Pretty Popular
5/5/19
Down under
Have you made sure to trim the rubber correctly? I've seen a few users talk about not having a flush fit on their clasps only to clip them a bit more and it clicks perfectly.

Agyo553322

Horology Curious
23/8/20
Have you made sure to trim the rubber correctly? I've seen a few users talk about not having a flush fit on their clasps only to clip them a bit more and it clicks perfectly.

I believe I did, I actually have another ZF clasp in my 5167, ill try exchanging them to check if fits, then ill have a better understanding of what the problem is I just literally got this watch 5 minutes ago so i have not had the time to fully test stuff yet

Last edited:

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
ZgLiWI.jpg

Received my second QC model after rejecting the first, and would you look at that... the date indicator is actually centered and much better now.

Now imagine if I succumbed to the peer pressure of the goofs who thought it was a bad idea to RL the initial one and be stuck with an inaccurate date meter :lol3:

So glad I did, this looks wonderful!

Just too bad these ZF models suffer from the minute 46 (of the minute rail) being too close to the lumeplot 9.... seems also for all other numbers to be the issue.

Last edited:

ks123

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
27/3/16
London
I believe I did, I actually have another ZF clasp in my 5167, ill try exchanging them to check if fits, then ill have a better understanding of what the problem is I just literally got this watch 5 minutes ago so i have not had the time to fully test stuff yet

this or either the inside of the clasp is too bent, remove the top two parts of the logo on the clasp and push down/bend the inner two spring bar holders

Agyo553322

Horology Curious
23/8/20
Thickness is around 11mm
jDWmXk.jpg

Changed clasps with my old (I believe to be) PPF 5167, works very well
jDWYfW.jpg

And here is a few shots of my new 5164 side by side with the old one....

jDWplj.jpg
jDWCf4.jpg
jDWT2I.jpg
jDWlW1.jpg

I do find the granede pattern and silhouette of the PPF strap much closer to gen, and better looking overall. If anyone knows a better-looking strap that will fit the ZF please let me know

Also, the Day and night transitions occur at 12PM -AM but I'm guessing the transition should be at 6 AM- PM mark, hopefully, they will correct this in the future? meanwhile, I guess a watch smith could check the movement to change this? not sure it will be worth the trouble though.

Last edited:

Kang_salavtore

Renowned Member
21/3/16
Got my ZF TT in hands!
jDhsts.jpg

And I have some observations
- Overall fit and feel are great, super well-executed brushing, very satisfying depth on the dial creating a very nice wrist experience
jDhuNY.jpg

- GMT function is working, only weird thing is that the day indicator (white part) starts the transition from night to day at 1 PM.

jDh7KD.jpg

- pushers on the side seem not to "stick out" as GEN ( pic from HODINKEE website). I can't be 100% on that one because i have never handled a GEN
jDhE1k.jpg

- the clasp on this watch is terrible, I believe I got a defective one, not too worried about it I can source a ZF clasp easily

jDhNMo.jpg
Thats it, hope you guys like this mini review! feel free to ask questions.

Beautiful buddy, may i ask did it came with a green strap ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk