• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Aquanaut - 3KF or ZF?

peapods2

Known Member
14/7/12
Been out of the game for awhile, wanted to buy the Aquanaut. Is the 3KF better or ZF? Read a few threads and had conflicting reports. Mainly that 3KF strap is bad.

Someone else said 3KF had a better movement (whats that mean? that it looks more accurate?) but the ZF had a better dial/bezel/front.

Can anyone help? Would love to pull the trigger asap!

Thank you!

T'Challa

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/7/19
I assume you are referring to the black ss aquanaut (5167)?

Both have their pros and flaws. It'd depend which ones you can live with and which you cannot. My observations are:

ZF:
Pros - Datefont, strap, dial proportions and text swiss made
Cons - the dial lines are too long and cut through '5', and cradles the bottom of '6' (gen stops at mid of the round part of 6), clasp alignment sometimes wonky (gotta QC well)

3KF:
Pros - Dial aesthetic is spot on and lines are where they should be, thinner than ZF (making it closer to gen thickness), clasp alignment is good, clone movement.
Cons - Datefont, lack of 'Swiss made' at bottom of dial (But you can pass this off as the 5165 38mm gen which does not have the text as well if you wished)

Personally, I'd go with the 3KF V2, and wait for the 3kf datewheel mod that some talented members of this forum are working on.
With that, you get as close to gen as possible with the movement, thickness, and aesthetics.

peapods2

Known Member
14/7/12

Both have their pros and flaws. It'd depend which ones you can live with and which you cannot. My observations are:

ZF:
Cons - the dial lines are too long and cut through '5', and cradles the bottom of '6' (gen stops at mid of the round part of 6), clasp alignment sometimes wonky (gotta QC well)

3KF:
Pros - Dial aesthetic is spot on and lines are where they should be, thinner than ZF (making it closer to gen thickness), clasp alignment is good, clone movement.
Cons - Datefont, lack of 'Swiss made' at bottom of dial (But you can pass this off as the 5165 38mm gen which does not have the text as well if you wished)

Personally, I'd go with the 3KF V2, and wait for the 3kf datewheel mod that some talented members of this forum are working on.
With that, you get as close to gen as possible with the movement, thickness, and aesthetics.

Super helpfful, thank you! Some said the 3KF strap is poor, do I order a ZF strap to go with it?

lupino

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/10/16

ZF:

3KF:

2007-2009 5167 do not have “Swiss Made”, as documented in at least 2 previous threads. As such, 3KF should be considered the rep of those year’s models, and not the 5168 when it comes to this insignia. Which removes another one of the “cons” for the 3KF. I am very happy with mine, and cannot stress how important the near original thickness is to the esthetic of this watch.

Sent from the RWI App

tko

Known Member
26/10/06
Does anyone know if there's a plan from 3KF to change the hour and minute hands lume to better match the indice plots?

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Does anyone know if there's a plan from 3KF to change the hour and minute hands lume to better match the indice plots?

It probably has already happened in the recent batches. The new 3K 5168 models have much better matching lume colors.

Reactions: pompompurin

APpee

22/4/20
London, UK
ZF mid case with 3KF case back can solve the gen thickness issue. Fit perfectly. ZF strap is great. I don’t like the bezel profile on the 3KF although it’s supposedly improved I’m not so sure, to thick for my liking. A good idea could be to build/get a 3KF / ZF hybrid

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Accord11

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
2/12/20
I

This complaint keeps arising on RWI and I am confused as to why. I owned a gen Aquanaut that had these very lines protruding. There are variables in every gen watch and many gen aquanauts have this. It is neither a con nor a tell on the ZF rep and members shouldn’t be dissuaded by this whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peapods2

Known Member
14/7/12
This complaint keeps arising on RWI and I am confused as to why. I owned a gen Aquanaut that had these very lines protruding. There are variables in every gen watch and many gen aquanauts have this. It is neither a con nor a tell on the ZF rep and members shouldn’t be dissuaded by this whatsoever.

would you choose zf or 3kf?

Reactions: Lariram

ApexOperon

Horology Curious
11/1/21
Europe
What are your opinions on the noise of the movement/rotor?
Frankly I’ve had enough of these noisy Miyotas, but then I read somewhere on this forum that the 3kf clone movement is equally noisy. Can somebody confirm?

Accord11

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
2/12/20
Frankly I’ve had enough of these noisy Miyotas, but then I read somewhere on this forum that the 3kf clone movement is equally noisy. Can somebody confirm?

Patek gen movements are just as loud. People here who complain about noisy rotors have no experience with gens. I’ll be sitting in my car and turn the steering wheel and my rotor on my gen Patek starts whizzing for 30 seconds.

Accord11

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
2/12/20

Patek gen movements are just as loud. People here who complain about noisy rotors have no experience with gens. I’ll be sitting in my car and turn the steering wheel and my rotor on my gen Patek starts whizzing for 30 seconds.

Reactions: pistebasher

JonathanLing91

Renowned Member
18/1/20
Hi guys I really need the communities input. I plan on making an aquanaut 5167 hybrid. Atm I will be using the ZF as the base and want to put a 3kf 324sc clone movement.

What are your guys’ opinions on the dial? “Swiss made” aside, do you guys think the sunburst on the 3kf is significantly better? If you guys were in my shoes, would you opt to put a 3kf dial in the ZF base, or stick with the ZF dial?

Reactions: Lariram

APpee

22/4/20
London, UK
Hi guys I really need the communities input. I plan on making an aquanaut 5167 hybrid. Atm I will be using the ZF as the base and want to put a 3kf 324sc clone movement.

What are your guys’ opinions on the dial? “Swiss made” aside, do you guys think the sunburst on the 3kf is significantly better? If you guys were in my shoes, would you opt to put a 3kf dial in the ZF base, or stick with the ZF dial?

I would go 324 cal movement, ZF base, 3KF dial, 3KF case back (ZF too thick), ZF strap & clasp. Hands would probably have to be 3KF unless you can get the ZF hands modded I’m not sure buddy. Sunburst on 3KF dial is very good vs ZF dial.

JonathanLing91

Renowned Member
18/1/20
ZF mid case with 3KF case back can solve the gen thickness issue. Fit perfectly. ZF strap is great. I don’t like the bezel profile on the 3KF although it’s supposedly improved I’m not so sure, to thick for my liking. A good idea could be to build/get a 3KF / ZF hybrid

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Is it just my eyes or is the bezel on the 3kf a bit thicker than gen (and ZF is slightly closer to gen)?

Reactions: APpee

JonathanLing91

Renowned Member
18/1/20
I would go 324 cal movement, ZF base, 3KF dial, 3KF case back (ZF too thick), ZF strap & clasp. Hands would probably have to be 3KF unless you can get the ZF hands modded I’m not sure buddy. Sunburst on 3KF dial is very good vs ZF dial.

Personally for me the dial and clone movement are the most important. Do you think the ZF case and clasp are that much of an upgrade over the 3kf one, that it is worth spending the extra $500-700 buying both ZF/3KF and building a hybrid.

APpee

22/4/20
London, UK
Personally for me the dial and clone movement are the most important. Do you think the ZF case and clasp are that much of an upgrade over the 3kf one, that it is worth spending the extra $500-700 buying both ZF/3KF and building a hybrid.

All comes down to your preference