• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen spec 5711 dw project for the 3K movement

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
EDITED: Just some comparison pics with legend's gen date disc and mine.

ZPtcxJ.jpg

ZPBZlW.jpg

Last edited:

Accord11

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
2/12/20
Wonderful work, sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12
It's interesting to see the difference between two Gen font variations. Other than the thickness of the font, one thing thag pops out at me is the shape of thd 0 (zeros) on both. Legend's one is Oval shaped and MajWilliams0308 is more of an Oblong shaped. Actually on the latter all numbers with a "hole" is a bit Oblong. It could be because of the thickness.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
It's interesting to see the difference between two Gen font variations. Other than the thickness of the font, one thing thag pops out at me is the shape of thd 0 (zeros) on both. Legend's one is Oval shaped and MajWilliams0308 is more of an Oblong shaped. Actually on the latter all numbers with a "hole" is a bit Oblong. It could be because of the thickness.

Like I mentioned M, there are at least 2, if not 3 variations of the gen 5711 DW font. They look identical but are actually subtly different. Often, guys with one gen watch part will take every opportunity to start pontificating about how it is the one absolute way that specific gen part should look, from beginning of time to the apocalyse and back based on grand sample size of one gen part. Any variation observed will be taken to mean that other part is wrong or rep :hehehe:
When this project was planned, the variations in the gen datewheel fonts was already discussed and taken into account. There was and still is no need for "comparison with gen", the datewheel I used is 100% gen, taken off a 100% gen watch with papers and box. If one feels a burning need to criticize the project, at least wait till the prototype is ready. I will be the first to admit that we may have translation/transference, alignment or gear teeth position issues to address, but this definitely isn't the time and place for anyone to start jumping in and providing gratuitous comparisons or criticisms.
There is more than enough time for that later, when the prototype is ready. I will be more than happy to ask for input from everyone and refine it for production then.

fauxtogo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
27/1/20
Very cool! Is there any ballpark price for an item like this?

olreon32

Supporter
Certified
11/4/10
Interesting... definitely in for one

ms616

Looking Around
1/1/21
Amazing work, wondering if we can use this in my build? Thank you for contributing to this community as such.

aprooholic

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
6/1/21
EU
Hello guys! It's been a while since the last comment, do we have any updates??? I am very curious!! One of the best projects in the forum for sure right now!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12
Hello guys! It's been a while since the last comment, do we have any updates??? I am very curious!! One of the best projects in the forum for sure right now!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Patience is the name of the game.
This Project is under very capable hands. I am sure it's sailing along smoothly.

Ch33zy

Horology Curious
2/1/20
This is such a great thing! keep it up!
As i am looking forward to ordering a 5168 from 3KF...
It is all coming together nicely at the moment:hehehe:

fauxtogo

Supporter
27/1/20
Can't wait to hear an update from the Legend, himself (when he is ready)! Very cool project.