• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Hybrid build: PF case, 3K movement, PPF dial and hands

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
A member here asked to do a PF/PPF/3K hybrid build and largely, it is the same build as the popular and ubiquitous PF/PPF one except that it attempts to use a 3K 5711 clone movement.

For those wondering (including myself before doing it), it is possible and stem alignment and fitment can be made perfect, as good as if not better than the Miyota 9015 fitment inside the case.

PF case machined to fit the 3K clone movement
Z8cEAL.jpg

3K movement fitment in modded PF case
Z8cN6R.jpg

I will document this as we go along. I still feel that this is a "make-do" scenario in creating the best rep 5711 without the use of gen parts, as the 3K case is still not as good as the PF one.

Zeula

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
17/9/17
Harem
Very good thread bro. Will wait for another chapter [mention]legend [/mention]

sfbatman787

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
17/4/17
Amazing! Please keep us posted ????????

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

jcguo0516

4/12/18
now this will be an interesting one, looking forward to it ;)

bro, I actually have a question in regards the movement, we know that DW is the biggest flaw on 3k movement, is there a way to maybe switch to the DW that ZF uses on their nautilus? maybe an overlay?

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12
now this will be an interesting one, looking forward to it ;)

bro, I actually have a question in regards the movement, we know that DW is the biggest flaw on 3k movement, is there a way to maybe switch to the DW that ZF uses on their nautilus? maybe an overlay?

Won't work coz miyota vs gen/clone date changes in opposite direction.

Reactions: legend

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
ahh, i see, thanks, so do we have any other option?

A gen DW should work, but that would be difficult because of availability and cost if you can find one. We can only hope that 3KF improves their current date wheel or if Keylog and associates develops one.

Reactions: JTO

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
legend - absolutely fantastic pics. How much machining did you wind up doing to fit the 324 clone in? I assume the 324 clone is a bit bigger? Any issues with the stem?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
legend - absolutely fantastic pics. How much machining did you wind up doing to fit the 324 clone in? I assume the 324 clone is a bit bigger? Any issues with the stem?

It’s not a terrible lot of machining but being the first one I did, a substantial amount of time was needed to refine the fitment perfectly. The stem alignment is perfect and one of the key considerations is to be able to pull the crown reliably any number of times without causing breakage or dislodgement.
Yes the C324 clone is a little bigger but it’s not a major issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
A gen DW should work, but that would be difficult because of availability and cost if you can find one. We can only hope that 3KF improves their current date wheel or if Keylog and associates develops one.

Yes it will.

But like any other dw installation, it will need to be properly aligned such that it is centered, and that each date changes properly. In theory DWs are plug and play replacements but in practice it often involves alignment and sometimes teeth refinement work.

I think that it’ll be a matter of time before the 3kf dw evolves in accuracy. But till then, there isn’t much choice for alternatives except for the gen.
I have on hand 3 such builds and 1 of them will be equipped with a gen dw (not this one pictured)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
Why not use the PPF and cut the PF out of the equation

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
Because the PF does not have a protruding crown and wider bezel like the PPF does. The PPF does have better dials and matching (lume wise) hands.

I know, but the PF still need a lot of work, slimming, bevels, cutout at the crown ect.

Cosmo is modding the PPF, with a reshape of the bezel, and shortening the crown. It just seems like less overall work, and you don’t have to source both a PF and PPF dial/hands

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12
I know, but the PF still need a lot of work, slimming, bevels, cutout at the crown ect.

Cosmo is modding the PPF, with a reshape of the bezel, and shortening the crown. It just seems like less overall work, and you don’t have to source both a PF and PPF dial/hands

Even with re shape of the bezel it's still too wide compared to Gen. Also the PPF Crown guard cut is too wide compared to Gen.

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
Even with re shape of the bezel it's still too wide compared to Gen. Also the PPF Crown guard cut is too wide compared to Gen.

I don’t quite follow you on the bezel, where do you see it as being to wide after the reshape?

I see a very slight difference on the crown guard between a stock PPF and my own hybrid, but we are talking a very slight difference

Reactions: Aguszzz