• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Patek Rose Gold - Gen vs. Rep picture comparison

Accord11

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
2/12/20
Just got my new ZF 5296R in the mail from Puretime and wanted to compare how accurate the rose gold was, so I put it next to my gen 5270/1R to see, and the color is IDENTICAL. ZF did an amazing job and got the rose gold color perfect. Unlike AP rose gold which is more pink, the Patek rose gold is more of a honey. Photos below...

[omg]https://clickpix.org/images/Z9NLP1.jpg[/img]

legend curious as to your thoughts mate

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Just got my new ZF 5296R in the mail from Puretime and wanted to compare how accurate the rose gold was, so I put it next to my gen 5270/1R to see, and the color is IDENTICAL. ZF did an amazing job and got the rose gold color perfect. Unlike AP rose gold which is more pink, the Patek rose gold is more of a honey. Photos below...

legend curious as to your thoughts mate

Aside from the fact that I think you’re a fanatical and crazy new player in our playground, Accord11, lol I think that your observation is spot on and I think that your list of acquisitions is very well chosen. I guess there is a significant difference in weight but if you’re comparing the gold tone and color, you were right from your pics.
I’m looking forward to the other 30 threads from you judging from what you purchased you crazy dude :hehehe:

Oh, and wear it well, you’re like a sugar starved kid in a candy store Accord11 haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

centrum

27/7/14
It's great to see a gen Patek owner entering this game. What led you to buying a rep Patek? How would you describe the ZF's overall build quality compared to gens? And also the weight. Do you think the rep gold Patek is as heavy as the gen gold Patek?

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Accord11

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
2/12/20
It's great to see a gen Patek owner entering this game. What led you to buying a rep Patek? How would you describe the ZF's overall build quality compared to gens? And also the weight. Do you think the rep gold Patek is as heavy as the gen gold Patek?

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

For Pateks on a strap like the calatrava, you can’t even feel the weight of the gen gold in your hand anyways because it’s already light weight. On a full bracelet rep gold royal oak vs. gen you’re going to feel the weight difference, but on a dress watch like a calatrava, you won’t notice the difference.

what got me into reps...I have just gotten completely sick of the Swiss watch industry and the predatory sales tactics sanctioned by Thierry Stern and others. You want this $19k Aquanaut? No problem, spend $200k on watches sitting in our case and we’ll be happy to put you on the list for one within 8 years. Played that game and I’m over it. It just took seeing how good reps are these days to realize there is a real solid alternative. Some watches I lost money....5170J retailer for about $82k and just a few years later the thing was worth peanuts....$33k, a $50k loss! Other watches I made a little bit...bought my 15400ST blue dial royal oak for $18k at retail and sold it for $30k. Either way, I’m done spending serious cash on watches when reps are so good these days. A few pieces I’ll keep like my Urwerk and 5270/1r perpetual calendar chrono which no factory could ever rep, but otherwise it’s all reps for me from here on out. My ZF 5167 showed up today and it is spectacularly underwhelming, just like the gen aquanaut. I feel so good about the ZF 5167. The gen feels like a $400 watch, and so does the ZF, so ZF did an outstanding job repping it. Mine has the small “tail” under the 5, which everyone here has gone nuts about when I was researching the 5167, but guess what? My gen 5167 also had that tail! And guess what, that beautiful gen 5270/1r pictures above arrived to me with misaligned dial numerals at 12 o’clock and messed up chrono gear on the right subdial and had to go back to Geneva under warranty service within a few months of getting it where Patek replaced the dial completely. So when I see people on here rejecting otherwise excellent reps for small things, then people say that all reps have flaws just a matter of what you’ll tolerate, so do the gens! In fact, of the sampling of 12 reps currently in my possession and the same number of gens, there are more flaws in terms of misaligned numerals etc. on many of the gens than the reps!

Accord11

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
2/12/20
Aside from the fact that I think you’re a fanatical and crazy new player in our playground, Accord11, lol I think that your observation is spot on and I think that your list of acquisitions is very well chosen. I guess there is a significant difference in weight but if you’re comparing the gold tone and color, you were right from your pics.
I’m looking forward to the other 30 threads from you judging from what you purchased you crazy dude :hehehe:

Oh, and wear it well, you’re like a sugar starved kid in a candy store Accord11 haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puretime limited me to only one order every 24 hours...which was torture, so then I went to Trusty and was averaging 2-3 a day, then after about 6 orders trusty told me no more orders until my others ship and are received, so then I went to chazing time and same thing! Ha. This is addicting.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Happy new year.

Very interesting and thank you for sharing.

I own the ZF rep but have never seen the gen in a picture let alone in real life (lol), so it’s good to know that the gold colour is at least broadly comparable if not the same.

Wear them well!

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
For Pateks on a strap like the calatrava, you can’t even feel the weight of the gen gold in your hand anyways because it’s already light weight. On a full bracelet rep gold royal oak vs. gen you’re going to feel the weight difference, but on a dress watch like a calatrava, you won’t notice the difference.

what got me into reps...I have just gotten completely sick of the Swiss watch industry and the predatory sales tactics sanctioned by Thierry Stern and others. You want this $19k Aquanaut? No problem, spend $200k on watches sitting in our case and we’ll be happy to put you on the list for one within 8 years. Played that game and I’m over it. It just took seeing how good reps are these days to realize there is a real solid alternative. Some watches I lost money....5170J retailer for about $82k and just a few years later the thing was worth peanuts....$33k, a $50k loss! Other watches I made a little bit...bought my 15400ST blue dial royal oak for $18k at retail and sold it for $30k. Either way, I’m done spending serious cash on watches when reps are so good these days. A few pieces I’ll keep like my Urwerk and 5270/1r perpetual calendar chrono which no factory could ever rep, but otherwise it’s all reps for me from here on out. My ZF 5167 showed up today and it is spectacularly underwhelming, just like the gen aquanaut. I feel so good about the ZF 5167. The gen feels like a $400 watch, and so does the ZF, so ZF did an outstanding job repping it. Mine has the small “tail” under the 5, which everyone here has gone nuts about when I was researching the 5167, but guess what? My gen 5167 also had that tail! And guess what, that beautiful gen 5270/1r pictures above arrived to me with misaligned dial numerals at 12 o’clock and messed up chrono gear on the right subdial and had to go back to Geneva under warranty service within a few months of getting it where Patek replaced the dial completely. So when I see people on here rejecting otherwise excellent reps for small things, then people say that all reps have flaws just a matter of what you’ll tolerate, so do the gens! In fact, of the sampling of 12 reps currently in my possession and the same number of gens, there are more flaws in terms of misaligned numerals etc. on many of the gens than the reps!

So, what really got you into the rep game?

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16

Fantastic perspective. I am noticing some other stories - even on r/rolex today - complaining about the predatory sales tactics and the 'dismissive laugh' when you ask to purchase a popular model. It's not fun as a consumer honestly.

Can you share a pic of your 5167 that had the tail at the 5? I am VERY curious to see this!

Reactions: rickirocket

LebronXiJames

3/11/19
Texas 🤠
Really appreciate your comparison, it’s great to hear your perspective. Get a Camille Fournet strap on that Calatrava and it’ll really pop.

I’m anticipating your future threads and comparisons.

Accord11

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
2/12/20
It had nothing to do with someone who also had many gen Pateks and APs and then one day showed you the light on the road to the world of reps?

Yes, a friend I know was wearing an AP Carbon ROO and I believed it was gen. But unfortunately, he was also wearing a GRF 5726 on the other wrist and he mentioned something about earning it at a truck stop.

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
Hahahhaa

Just for reference, Accord11 and I are best friends and have known each other for years. We are engaging in some banter. But will cease and desist now.

Last edited:

FLYER9

Known Member
2/2/16
Does anyone know if the rose gold plating on this holds up for any length of time? I was considering buying one but I’m always iffy about plated reps as it’s a real lottery how long they’ll last.

Great piece though, I’m definitely going to order the SS model.

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
Does anyone know if the rose gold plating on this holds up for any length of time? I was considering buying one but I’m always iffy about plated reps as it’s a real lottery how long they’ll last.

They will fade eventually, I think if you live in a humid climate it will be faster due to sweat on your arm.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think

get a white gold rep

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14

Funny enough, I was speaking to a friend of mine who used to sell patek in an AD. A lot of gen actually don't keep time very well as most owners would have other watches to rotate in their collection so they wouldn't notice how inaccurate the watch is since they only wear for a day or so. Also I a lot of time simply break down which was a bit shocking to hear.

I can't say I can justify a Patek financially but I was looking at getting a 5970G (my friend was also looking for one as he is turning 50). Comparing it with a Vintage 6263 big red, a 5970 is a bargain! Yes a patek will be a bit more, but not by a lot of which we can all appreciate the value of a V72 VS. a perpetual calendar chornograph!

Like you, I really got sick of this sport watch hype! I grew up with watches as my dad is a grey dealer, a sub to me is a luxury but accessible to relative degree. Now a sub is being flipped like a Daytona of which I can't personally stomach. I still remember my mate called me at 2009 at the airport when he got offered at Kermit for £2800.

I can say I got lucky before when the prices for very high like right now, but I strongly believed it is becoming unattainable to go for gen as a modest watch collector when everything is being flipped. Buying reps gives me the freedom to choose what I want at a more modest price range. Yes I guess you won't get your money back like gen, but unless you can buy pieces at retail or just above, you will lost a bit of money if the market do go down. Well I can't see it any time soon even with Covid, but at least you are not benefiting the flippers.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sebthedon