• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AQUANAUT JUMBO 5167A DLC ZF 1:1 BEST EDITION BLACK DIAL ON BLACK RUBBER STRAP 324CS

WarDog24

Horology Curious
2/11/20
Hello everyone, I’m new to the game but always had a love for watches. I’m currently looking at an Patek Philippe AQUANAUT JUMBO 5167A DLC ZF 1:1 BEST EDITION BLACK DIAL ON BLACK RUBBER STRAP 324CS from trustytime. Can anyone tell me the best version of this rep or if this is the best version?

pavr

Looking Around
11/1/20
Hi - If you check the threads here there is quite a debate about this!
I advise you to search for 'Aquanaut 3K ZF' and you will find many inputs reviews and photos. Here is an overview:
The ZF is a great replica, and there has been a lot of recent noise about the new 3KF Factory which is producing a lovely model using a 'cloned' 324 mechanism which gives slightly greater authenticity, both in thickness and in rotary look (from rear). Which is best? I cannot decide!

ZF - Positives
- Tried and trusted Miyota mechanism
- Engraved rear case
- Better strap and clasp
- Better date window
- Evenness in lume colour and consistency
- Good case and bezel dimensions

ZF - Negatives
- Mechanism is not a replica to view from rear (cogs, wheels etc)
- Dial 'burst' a little shiny vs Gen
- Minolta is slightly noisy

3K - Positives
- Replica mechanism
- Good thickness (~8.5 vs ~8.8)
- Nice dial

3K - Negatives
- Mechanism untested, some reviews of complete breakdown
- Some reports of poor date position and size
- Strap apparently horrible
- Many comments of bezel thickness being too slightly large (may have been resolved, IMO unlikely)
- Rubber Strap version has gold insignia on rear (many reports of this having been resolved)
- Printed rear Patek Phillipe etc is not that impressive

You must also weight your preference, and some have picked and matched for an ideal solution. For me it may not even exist: (for example, engraving is clearly a physical intervention in the working mechanism and may have implications, so talk of 3K improving this may not even be ideal).

Overall, I would say the following:
- both look great and are not able to spot as reps unless examined closely
- both will break eventually
- clearly both are relatively cheap at $500, when the original is ~$40,000 (depending on where you get it)
- I had a Gen Patek Aqua and it was breaking all the time

WarDog24

Horology Curious
2/11/20
I advise you to search for 'Aquanaut 3K ZF' and you will find many inputs reviews and photos. Here is an overview:
The ZF is a great replica, and there has been a lot of recent noise about the new 3KF Factory which is producing a lovely model using a 'cloned' 324 mechanism which gives slightly greater authenticity, both in thickness and in rotary look (from rear). Which is best? I cannot decide!

ZF - Positives
- Engraved rear case
- Better strap and clasp
- Better date window

ZF - Negatives

3K - Positives
- Replica mechanism
- Nice dial

3K - Negatives
- Many comments of bezel thickness being too slightly large (may have been resolved, IMO unlikely)
- Rubber Strap version has gold insignia on rear (many reports of this having been resolved)

You must also weight your preference, and some have picked and matched for an ideal solution. For me it may not even exist: (for example, engraving is clearly a physical intervention in the working mechanism and may have implications, so talk of 3K improving this may not even be ideal).

- clearly both are relatively cheap at $500, when the original is ~$40,000 (depending on where you get it)

I love the 3K but I believe that ZF is the only factory making the black on black aquanaut based on the custom watch company venom

midnight_pasty

Known Member
11/6/17
if is the only factory that makes the dlc version.maybe you should ask your TD if they can get you the white and brown straps so you can swap if you get bored

Reactions: WarDog24

pavr

Looking Around
11/1/20
So here is my new ZF, plus brown 3K strap, just arrived from Andrew at Trusty. Its very impressive!. First i should say that I owned an Aqua original so have some experience. The dial is does not excessive at all, spot on. I also put added the 3K brown - as the colour of the brown ZF is just way off. Some have spoken so badly about the quality of the 3K rubber straps, but to me its just fine, and no noticeable difference with the black ZF which the watch came with. Please check these photos (By the way, I really recommend Andrew. I did a shipment via London and all perfectly smooth, here in around 14 days, no problems, plus great pictures and tracking info along the way).

Reactions: be_raeal

pavr

Looking Around
11/1/20
So here is my new ZF, plus brown 3K strap, just arrived from Andrew at Trusty. Its very impressive!. First i should say that I owned an Aqua original so have some experience. The dial is does not excessive at all, spot on. I also put added the 3K brown - as the colour of the brown ZF is just way off. Some have spoken so badly about the quality of the 3K rubber straps, but to me its just fine, and no noticeable difference with the black ZF which the watch came with. Please check these photos (By the way, I really recommend Andrew. I did a shipment via London and all perfectly smooth, here in around 14 days, no problems, plus great pictures and tracking info along the way).

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
ZF - Negatives
The gen Patek 324 movement has a unidirectional winding mechanism with a similar free spinning rotor sound as the 9015. That noise everyone's trying to get rid of is actually gen-like. Enjoy your reps, gentlemen!

Last edited:
Reactions: rickirocket

RedBearrd

Wrist Admirer
Certified
22/11/17
The Netherlands 🇳🇱
Pulled the trigger on the (red) black venom Aquanaut. Approved qc pic:

16389b8760a0d27a07ea691250a499e5.jpg

PAMorROLEX

26/10/20
EU
Looks really cool.. This one do not have the lume colour mismatch unlike the 3KF but does have a same flaw on the Seconds hand (Different colour at the pinion).. DLC solves all the flaws regarding the brushing quality, wish ZF and PPF could come up with real Rubies instead of plastic beads to imitate the jewels, which are a dead give away..

Pulled the trigger on the (red) black venom Aquanaut. Approved qc pic:

16389b8760a0d27a07ea691250a499e5.jpg

RedBearrd

Wrist Admirer
Certified
22/11/17
The Netherlands 🇳🇱
Never realized the rubies are in fact plastic beads. How can you see the difference? I guess there is always something to improve ha
23009ed2c3e3455913d89d278f4f65b5.jpg

Last edited:

be_raeal

Horology Curious
24/9/20

ZF - Positives
- Engraved rear case
- Better strap and clasp
- Better date window

ZF - Negatives

3K - Positives
- Replica mechanism
- Nice dial

3K - Negatives

Interesting recap.. do you know if we can expect new releases for this model this year? Is any factory working for reducing or removing the weakenesses from their model?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

RedBearrd

Wrist Admirer
Certified
22/11/17
The Netherlands 🇳🇱
How do you like it after several months?
I'm torn between this one and the metal one (but definitely need those red markers and second hand)!

It’s part of my rotation since the start. Love the dial, light weight case and thinness. Rubber strap is very comfortable.
The movement runs a bit slow but not annoyingly so, I could always send it to a watch smith.
The metal version is more flashy imo vs dlc version, also something to take into account

Reactions: Max Cady

Max Cady

Aquaracer
27/8/20
Hofbräuhausen
It’s part of my rotation since the start. Love the dial, light weight case and thinness. Rubber strap is very comfortable.
The movement runs a bit slow but not annoyingly so, I could always send it to a watch smith.
The metal version is more flashy imo vs dlc version, also something to take into account

Thank you very much, that helps me a lot!
I think the metal version is also very nice, but i'm looking for a nice low profile everyday watch and i think this is the perfect one!

javicc

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
MULTI ACCOUNT
20/10/19
Could you help me tell me how to fit the strap to the size of my wrist? Thank you

RedBearrd

Wrist Admirer
Certified
22/11/17
The Netherlands 🇳🇱
Fit the strap around your wrist, measure and use (count) the rubber elevations on the back of the strap as a marker on both sides, make it a bit wider than is necessary, mark it with a pencil, measure it again to be sure and cut it with a sharp knife. Glgl