• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

5711 Nautilus and the Crown

modoro

Horology Curious
29/4/20
Hello to all.

I am now thinking about buying a 5711. The PPF V4 works best for my taste. There is only the problem with the crown that is too far out. Are there any instructions? A watch dismantling video? How have the conversions always failed so far? I assume that clamping on the lathe and shortening from the inside is not a solution? don't take original part? Original dials fit with the PPF ? Greetings and thanks from Germany

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Hello to all.

I am now thinking about buying a 5711. The PPF V4 works best for my taste. There is only the problem with the crown that is too far out. Are there any instructions? A watch dismantling video? How have the conversions always failed so far? I assume that clamping on the lathe and shortening from the inside is not a solution? don't take original part? Original dials fit with the PPF ? Greetings and thanks from Germany

Have you considered a hybrid 5711 instead? Look back at all previous pages where members combined parts from a complete PF watch, Keylog PF/PPF DWO, PPF dial and hands to build an almost perfect rep. Don't forget the PPF also has an over sized bezel.

modoro

Horology Curious
29/4/20
you think is better to start with a MFK? is there here a good guide? Iam looking for a white PP 5711

What you call keylog?

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
The MKF Nautilus V6 has two problems if you plan on using it as a base for a hybrid. One problem is the stiff bracelet which does not wrap/curve nicely if you have a small wrist, there will be gaps on the sides. However, if your wrist are larger than 19.05 cm (7.5 in.) there is no problem, the bracelet will fit fine. The other problem is a misspelled word engraved on the movement. You will need a loupe to see this mistake and with the watch on your wrist nobody will ever see it. So if your wrist is larger than 19.05 cm and you can overlook the misspelled word, the MKF 5711 V6 is an excellent base for a hybrid PP 5711. This watch is on sale at Trusty Time for around $350.00, so the money you save can help pay for the PPF hands, dial and the required PF date wheel. The PPF date wheel is no longer available, but the PF date wheel will fit according to members who have done this before.

The best known rep PP 5711 white dial is from PPF. The PPF hands will be needed so that the lume will match. I suggest you ask if the watch, dial and hands are all available first before starting.

The required Keylog PF date wheel can be ordered by going to the top of the Patek Philippe sub forum and click on the sticky thread, Nautilus Date Wheel Project, go to page 1 and the click on the link provided. It cost $40.00 plus shipping. This part is required because the date wheel of the MKF Nautilus 5711 V6 will not appear properly on the PPF dial date window. It needs to be replaced.

I do not know of any guide or instructions on how to do this modification. Most members send their watches and parts to a modder. If you are in Germany, I recommend slaughterer62, you can contact him via PM and ask him about cost and other information.

I wish you success on your endeavor. All the best.

modoro

Horology Curious
29/4/20
Hello Gilrob, thank you for your words... they this is a problem :D the size diffrent i can fix with other parts? 9mm to 8.5?

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
The MKF Nautilus V6 has two problems if you plan on using it as a base for a hybrid. One problem is the stiff bracelet which does not wrap/curve nicely if you have a small wrist, there will be gaps on the sides. However, if your wrist are larger than 19.05 cm (7.5 in.) there is no problem, the bracelet will fit fine. The other problem is a misspelled word engraved on the movement. You will need a loupe to see this mistake and with the watch on your wrist nobody will ever see it. So if your wrist is larger than 19.05 cm and you can overlook the misspelled word, the MKF 5711 V6 is an excellent base for a hybrid PP 5711. This watch is on sale at Trusty Time for around $350.00, so the money you save can help pay for the PPF hands, dial and the required PF date wheel. The PPF date wheel is no longer available, but the PF date wheel will fit according to members who have done this before.

The best known rep PP 5711 white dial is from PPF. The PPF hands will be needed so that the lume will match. I suggest you ask if the watch, dial and hands are all available first before starting.

The required Keylog PF date wheel can be ordered by going to the top of the Patek Philippe sub forum and click on the sticky thread, Nautilus Date Wheel Project, go to page 1 and the click on the link provided. It cost $40.00 plus shipping. This part is required because the date wheel of the MKF Nautilus 5711 V6 will not appear properly on the PPF dial date window. It needs to be replaced.

I do not know of any guide or instructions on how to do this modification. Most members send their watches and parts to a modder. If you are in Germany, I recommend slaughterer62, you can contact him via PM and ask him about cost and other information.

I wish you success on your endeavor. All the best.

Gilrob, thank you for being a part of this forum. When some members on this forum bash the new guys that ask questions that may have been posed before it does not make sense to me. We need more people like you that take the time to be courteous and help others. Thank you.

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
Hello to all.

To me the best combination is still the PF case and bracelet with keeping the PF movement. And then purchase the PPF dial and hands and a Keylog datewheel to go into the PF case.

Some new members may be confused by the factories PF and PPF. They are different so be aware of this.

I was able to get a V2 PPF blue dial and hands and had Spongebob put everything together for me with the PF datewheel as well. He did an excellent job highly recommend him.

The 3K factory movement is very close looking to gen 5711, but I am not sure it would be possible to put the 3K movement into the PF case and have the datewheel work or if the movement would line up correctly.

I also wish you good luck with your endeavor. Greerings and thanks from Austria!

Cosmograph4Ever

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
3/3/20
e3676d615ba40769408fc319069f8d27.jpg

264a6965e4b18bdd07fe31781a5a01dc.jpg

81824e97382faf7f6bc8b92ebeee9102.jpg

For reference, here is a shortened and refinished PPF V4 crown I made for a client today. :)

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
[QUOTE

And my own 5711, completely refinished, nicely chamfered bevels, corrected bezel angle and crown height. :)[/QUOTE]

Your work is impeccable, particularly on the bezel correction. You can expect many PMs soon for work request questions.

Reactions: Cosmograph4Ever

Cosmograph4Ever

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
3/3/20
[QUOTE

And my own 5711, completely refinished, nicely chamfered bevels, corrected bezel angle and crown height. :)

Your work is impeccable, particularly on the bezel correction. You can expect many PMs soon for work request questions.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your kind words. The Nautilus is a complex project to work on with different shapes and finishes right next to each other on small areas. Imo what makes a Patek a Patek is the handmade finishing. I put emphasis on satin brushing with that rainbow twinkle in the sun, sharply defined bevels and a high lustre polish with defined but soft angles in transition between brushing and polish.

Here is a clients blue 5711 before work, note the AP Royal Oak like sharp edges along the midcase on top of the endlink. This is a flaw since V2, the case is supposed to have a long, elegant curve towards the bezel:

15517a4437fe13115e47b901b1a06719.jpg

And the case after reshaping, polish and brushing:

f00800479ead24a331aa049ab5bce82f.jpg

The finished watch (Note, the client specifically asked to leave the crown as-is):

479897602d2585e8c8f2a1779e008106.jpg

bcc2e0bddc35fb2579ba81db10c43bfe.jpg

And a comparison of my own white 5711, stock and with the refinish and shape corrections, before I had the time to correct the crown today:

Before:

e4be0c6784fcdfc65c9a6293476e9aab.jpg

And after:

e70a6048088c1c284fc2e76465de87d5.jpg

I hope you enjoy! :)

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
^
Yes, I did enjoy as well as many others who eventually will see these pictures. Your work will surely be seen as one of the best Nautilus modifications. Thank you so much.

Reactions: Cosmograph4Ever

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12
Very nice case work. It's nice to see such attention to detail. The crown mode looks superb.

Too bad the Crown Guard cut out on the PPF is too wide.