• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PPF Patek 5711/r Link Removal Request

Bullflo3

Supporter
Certified
13/2/18
So it’s well known that PPF Patek links are relatively hard to remove, but my local watchsmith was not able to remove the two links from my 5711r that I need out. I have no tools, nor the know-how to even attempt to remove them myself. So, I’m wondering if any of you out there feel like you can get them out for me. Yes, forum moderators, I know I’m taking the risk of the watch being damaged, or even not returned to me if I send it to the “wrong person.” But that's where I’m at with this. It’s either have someone else attempt it or sell the watch as there’s no way I can wear it with all links in place. So if anyone out there State side confidently feels like they can have success in taking these links out, please DM me. I obviously will pay you for your service & shipping.

Here’s the current state of the link removal :

Vtp0Zh.jpg

Last edited:

Rainbowkin

Renowned Member
15/4/20
Geneve, China
Does anyone have experience with the PF 5711R? You might be able to turn your PPF which is usually better with their dials into a donor and sell it and pass the problem to someone else.

Bullflo3

Supporter
Certified
13/2/18
I seen a few people post theirs on the dedicated thread to the watch (fitted to their wrist & all), so I know it can be done. Selling it is my last resort as I truly do like the watch.

Rainbowkin

Renowned Member
15/4/20
Geneve, China
I feel you and wish you can get it properly sized. This is not the first time I am seeing someone opening a thread here on their PPF bracelet adjustment issue.

Bullflo3

Supporter
Certified
13/2/18
https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...elet-re-sizing
Some previous discussion on the same matter.

Thanks. Some good information in there but like I said I don’t have any tools or experience with link removal & I’m not willing to make this my first attempt, ha. The oil bath idea is nice, but probably won’t play well with plated gold. Hopefully one of those guys see this post and can get me situated!

Bullflo3

Supporter
Certified
13/2/18
No takers? Willingly to pay a premium for a successful attempt.

GBB_19NHS

Known Member
12/2/15
UK
i didnt know this was an issue with ppf. I just bought a set but sounds like it wont be straight forward. looking at the same ppf pp as well atm. Im surprised the watchsmith could not do it, no other watchsmith around?

Bullflo3

Supporter
Certified
13/2/18
i didnt know this was an issue with ppf. I just bought a set but sounds like it wont be straight forward. looking at the same ppf pp as well atm. Im surprised the watchsmith could not do it, no other watchsmith around?

Unfortunately not where I live. I reached out to Strodda here on the forums so hopefully he can help me out as it’s a nice looking watch that I’d like to get some wear time with.

GBB_19NHS

Known Member
12/2/15
UK
let me know if that is successful as i am looking to get the same watch as well and dont want to be in the same situation of not being able to shorten the bracelet. although where i live there are many watchsmitsh around

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
How about removing the plastic first ? That's the first time I see anyone attempting to remove links without removing the protective film first

Reactions: gilrob

Bullflo3

Supporter
Certified
13/2/18
How about removing the plastic first ? That's the first time I see anyone attempting to remove links without removing the protective film first

To prevent scratching I’m sure. Nonetheless, that photo was from their initial attempt. Plastic ended up coming off during the process.

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
To prevent scratching I’m sure. Nonetheless, that photo was from their initial attempt. Plastic ended up coming off during the process.

I've always used the same method for all pin system : pin pusher (they throw them for free with straps sometimes and are worth nothing on Amazon) and a little jeweler hammer, but any little hammer would work. You carefully put the pin in the hole and you tap it lightly until it get out, you can wiggle the link a bit if it appear to be stuck.

Even the worse watchmaker should be able to do that

razr321

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/1/17
I had to use tweezers to pull my pins out. Super annoying process with the PPFs. They look great though!

kevBquick

9/10/18
I’ll take it on if no one is willing I did my PPF v3 white dial just a little bit ago no issues. I have all tools necessary. This shouldn’t be an issue if you do.

Bullflo3

Supporter
Certified
13/2/18
I’ll take it on if no one is willing I did my PPF v3 white dial just a little bit ago no issues. I have all tools necessary. This shouldn’t be an issue if you do.

PM sent!

Erinoush

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
10/7/19
UAE / EUROPE
I've always used the same method for all pin system : pin pusher (they throw them for free with straps sometimes and are worth nothing on Amazon) and a little jeweler hammer, but any little hammer would work. You carefully put the pin in the hole and you tap it lightly until it get out, you can wiggle the link a bit if it appear to be stuck.

Even the worse watchmaker should be able to do that

i am really wondering what kind of watch smith fails into doing this operation.... I would personally not give him much credit in doing anything else on my watch as this is such a simple operation.

Reactions: Glaude

Bullflo3

Supporter
Certified
13/2/18

Kevin took care of me! Definitely wasn’t as easy as people assumed (two watchsmiths attempted prior to Kevin). After a broken tool, some link grease and a ton of patience, he was successful. I guess the issue was the rg plating was done without sealing off the link holes properly causing the gold to get inside - essentially making the links rock solid.

Rainbowkin

Renowned Member
15/4/20
Geneve, China
Kevin took care of me! Definitely wasn’t as easy as people assumed (two watchsmiths attempted prior to Kevin). After a broken tool, some link grease and a ton of patience, he was successful. I guess the issue was the rg plating was done without sealing off the link holes properly causing the gold to get inside - essentially making the links rock solid.

The gold diggers fixed the problem!

Reactions: Bullflo3