• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

3K Aquanaut review

foozoo58

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
20/11/19
Had mine 4 about 4 months, running -1 second per day, smooth as butter.

You get back, what you put out into the world kid. Maybe try and act less like a complete douchebag, and people would be more inclined to actually help you when you need it.

JCFans01

Horology Curious
2/10/20
Hey guys, I bought a cheapie strap on eBay for 5167A and one piece arrived damaged so I'm returning it. Regardless, when I tried to fit it onto the watch, it does not fit. The pins are plastic and are too large. Does anyone know why? Is this a common issue? Any strapmaker recommendation from anyone here who will be a perfect match to the 3KF version? I believe the 3KF version would be a match to the original strap, but I wanted to try a cheapie on before I spend money on the real thing. And this mismatch is scaring me off.

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
Hey guys, I bought a cheapie strap on eBay for 5167A and one piece arrived damaged so I'm returning it. Regardless, when I tried to fit it onto the watch, it does not fit. The pins are plastic and are too large. Does anyone know why? Is this a common issue? Any strapmaker recommendation from anyone here who will be a perfect match to the 3KF version? I believe the 3KF version would be a match to the original strap, but I wanted to try a cheapie on before I spend money on the real thing. And this mismatch is scaring me off.

Get the ZF strap - many users said it is the best option before you buy a gen strap.

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA

You can find a gen strap on eBay for around 200 usd. The ZF is really good aswell, but it’s not gen :)

maison888

I'm Pretty Popular
7/8/14

I mentioned this in one of the Aquanaut threads but the majority if not all those cheap Ebay straps will not fit. I've tried multiple sellers and none of the prongs fit, they are a few mm off. I received one that was close and tried shaving them with a dremel but ended up breaking them. As others mentioned you're better off ordering a ZF or a gen for a little extra and save the headache.

JCFans01

Horology Curious
2/10/20
You can find a gen strap on eBay for around 200 usd. The ZF is really good aswell, but it’s not gen :)

I don't mind spending the money I just wanted to make sure everything fits? This whole thing with the pins not fitting has caught me off guard. Out of all things I was not expecting THAT to not fit haha.

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
I don't mind spending the money I just wanted to make sure everything fits? This whole thing with the pins not fitting has caught me off guard. Out of all things I was not expecting THAT to not fit haha.

Don’t worry, it’s a perfect fit. Just use the correct spring bars. I did a post a while back here, with spring bar dimensions and a couple of pics with a gen strap on my aquanaut

JCFans01

Horology Curious
2/10/20
Does anyone the difference between C09 and C10 straps? And D31?

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
Does anyone the difference between C09 and C10 straps? And D31?

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

CO9 if you want it to fit a 3K. The other strap are for older/different models

betterbezel

Horology Curious
29/7/19
49632596083_2d367c06d8_o.jpg

I received my 3K Aquanaut from Andrew at Trusty, yesterday morning. I have had time to look very carefully at the watch and examine the detail. I have also had time to think about how the watch occupies its position in Rep world and in watch world

Lets start with an overall perspective on it as a watch in its own right.

Holding the watch in my hands it has a feel of extreme quality. No sharp edges no poor finish The hands are well made, the dial is well finished. The weight of the SS watch on rubber feels just right on the wrist. Not too top heavy and not too light either. the rubber strap feels good and comfortable and doesn't seem to attract too much dust like the very cheap ones do.

Trying to forget for a minute that this watch is a copy and looking at it as a watch, I like it. It is a watch which can be worn equally with a suit or with jeans. You can jump in the pool with it ( I did this morning) it is WR enough and on rubber A great everyday wear which looks discrete and unobtrusive and at the same time exudes quality and good taste.

The feel of the watch in terms of function is good. The crown unscrews smoothly and the Keyless moves through its positions well. The date wheel turns over nicely and there is no play to speak of in the hand adjustment. It winds with a smooth and satisfying feel The rotor moves freely and without excessive noise. Date starts to move at 11.35 and is fully changed by 12.05. The dial is beautiful it has depth and a great smooth sunburst when it catches the light. The crystal is not milky and is unimpeded by AR coating which is not really needed on watches with dark mattish dials.

The polish and satin mix on the casework is truly excellent and the general fit and finish to to a very high standard.

Looking at the movement through to exhibition back. It looks very well finished with some nice anglage on the movement plates and has a general look of quality.

On my Timegrapher the watch is showing 292 amplitude 0.1 MS beat error and + 1 sec per day timing (these numbers are great )The movement feels and looks as solid as a rock It is early to tell, but my guess is the movement is pretty much bullitt proof .

Here are some more photos of the watch taken today

49632592498_1145bb269d_o.jpg

49632610288_b938aa4d0a_o.jpg

49633135261_de4756a619_o.jpg

49633126761_d5bcfff02e_o.jpg

49633712287_80d4f0eacd_o.jpg

The watch as a Rep

This is one persons honest and objective opinion on this watch as a Rep. There will be many opinion on this watch, as it is a significant milestone in the Rep world, as was the Noob 4130 clone.

First of all if I had to express this in one sentence it would be " This is probably overall the best Rep I have ever seen"

They haven't made a copy they have made "The watch" in a different place. Granted they have made it with some concessions to cost and to practicality

Frankly to tell this from a Gen you need to be good and knowledgeable and you will need a loop and the watch in your hand. You will also need to really know what you are looking for. The movement is an almost exact clone.The case and dial are an exact clone. Of course there will be minute differences

The movement plates are laser printed not engraved. I accept this and I understand exactly why they have made this compromise. Unlike others have said, I don't expect them to change it. The reason I hold this view. They have made a perfect clone of the movement. This was costly The movement will be made in one place ( By someone ) and transported to another place for assembly. With no markings this can be done with almost complete impunity. To engrave it after assemble is utterly ruinous to the reliability and longevity of the movement. To laser print it is not a problem. The very minor impact this has on the watches integrity as a Rep, is almost insignificant in my view, compared to destroying the movement.

The dial is the right colour , the right shade and has the right handling of light.

The hands are great.

The lume is very slightly different

The case is incredibly close

Dimensions are all correct

Lugs are perfect in my eye

Crown looks right to me

Is it a Super Rep? IMHO yes it is

Is it NWBIG? IMHO 100% yes.

Another $18000 will buy you a slightly better finished movement which has been engraved. That's it !

I bought mine on a bracelet. This is because stupidly for some reason all of the non bracelet SS models have gold markings in the lug backs , the bracelet version doesn't. I hate bracelets , so put it straight on rubber when it arrived .

For those interested here are some photos of the bracelet . Which is really very good and well finished.

49632914868_7250846eaa_o.jpg

49633435931_8b32fe8dea_o.jpg

great review and totally worth the money IMO! Only thing that worries me is the strap. But is the stock strap so uncomfortable that you'd need to switch it for an aftermarket one? ( coming from a guy who is satisfied with the quality of the LGXIGE rubber straps FYI). Just don't want it to feel rough or too sturdy. Highly considering this to be my next purchase tho, thanks to this great review

Reactions: watchoself

watchyouwatchmywatch

You're Saying I Can Sell?
MULTI ACCOUNT
18/1/19
Do you guys test the watch for waterproofing before wearing out and about? Im thinking about purchasing one and using it as my travel watch. Can I wear it swimming or is it a good idea to get it pressure tested first?

WatchaholicMallorca

Renowned Member
2/9/16
CO9 if you want it to fit a 3K. The other strap are for older/different models

I received a CO9 from a TD and it doesn’t fit, unfortunately the strap itself is too narrow, I guess this was for the slightly smaller aquanaut ZF released.

For those looking to order one I’d specify this to your TD, mine knew it was to install on a 3kf but the strap doesn’t fit

LebronXiJames

3/11/19
Texas 🤠
I received a CO9 from a TD and it doesn’t fit, unfortunately the strap itself is too narrow, I guess this was for the slightly smaller aquanaut ZF released.

For those looking to order one I’d specify this to your TD, mine knew it was to install on a 3kf but the strap doesn’t fit

Surprising. Myself and a few others have been able to use the C09 ZF strap on our 3kf 5167s. Did you cut it already? I’d be willing to maybe buy it off you. I cut mine a tad too small

Last edited:

WatchaholicMallorca

Renowned Member
2/9/16
Surprising. Myself and a few others have been able to use the C09 ZF strap on our 3kf 5167s. Did you cut it already? I’d be willing to maybe buy it off you. I cut mine a tad too small

The issue is, the strap itself is too thin between the lugs, so the small pins are closer together and do not fit into the case, and even if they did, there would be a gap between the strap and the lugs.

WatchaholicMallorca

Renowned Member
2/9/16

LebronXiJames

3/11/19
Texas 🤠
Reactions: WatchaholicMallorca