• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

3K Aquanaut review

Supergoose

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/3/20
Kent
Has anyone actually fitted a ZF strap to a 3k watch? the slightest mm difference in strap, lug, bezel size and a strap will not sit correctly exposing too much gap.

Mark1937

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
25/3/17
Has anyone actually fitted a ZF strap to a 3k watch? the slightest mm difference in strap, lug, bezel size and a strap will not sit correctly exposing too much gap.

Are you sure? I ordered Aquanaut 3KF + ZF strap. I will stop order for strap if I can't use that in 3KF

Supergoose

29/3/20
Kent
Are you sure? I ordered Aquanaut 3KF + ZF strap. I will stop order for strap if I can't use that in 3KF

Mark it was more of a question born out of an experience I have had before with a rep strap on another watch. It wouldn't fit up tight so I had to experiment with direct thickness spring bars. It may be ok.

srhoque

28/11/18
timnic54 Thank you for your detailed and invaluable reviews, it has always been a pleasure reading your reviews and comments which has helped me in my selection of NWBIG watches. I have just placed an order with my TD for this baby. You did mention in your first post "non bracelet SS models have gold markings in the lug backs" could you pls post a pic of the gold markings for newbies like me to understand so during the QC process it would make things a lot easier.

2.) in regards to the strap, you did mention that the build quality was satisfactory. Do you recommend an OEM / Gen strap swap for OCD freaks like me ? i jumped on ebay and found several OEMs and gen strap but I am not too sure which would be the best to go for and also the price variation is huge, any recommendations what to look out for ? (links of straps attacked , hope its allowed to reference links here)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-...419548?hash=item469e0ddd9c:g:8TYAAOSwictdjT7p

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPATIBLE...178883?hash=item2ad33651c3:g:RcMAAOSwF3ldZXGm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-Pa...908649?hash=item1f0c279c29:g:po4AAOSwt9BeWoeR

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Patek-...123082&hash=item3d9efb6f92:g:OJYAAOSw0i9eZQGe

3.) You did mention that your getting a Blue 3k Nautilus, i am so close to pulling the trigger on it. From your experience how does the blue compare to the gen , is white still a safer bet ? have you got it already if you do pls post some pics and comments.

Thank you !

There are a bunch of gen rubber for sale now on eBay with price variations. I just purchased a new pair for USD 175. Anything with strap code C09 and D31 will fit. Both are 21 x 18mm straps.

160million

🎰 Rien ne va plus
Certified
14/4/19
Vice City
timnic54 Thank you for your detailed and invaluable reviews, it has always been a pleasure reading your reviews and comments which has helped me in my selection of NWBIG watches. I have just placed an order with my TD for this baby. You did mention in your first post "non bracelet SS models have gold markings in the lug backs" could you pls post a pic of the gold markings for newbies like me to understand so during the QC process it would make things a lot easier.

Thank you !

i cant really comment on your strap problems. but if you refer to the post with the ID293 in this thread you can see the gold marks in the watch lug (f.e. the 750 / PPC). this indicates precious metals (R-gold,w-gold,y-gold,platinum). this posts gives you a really good deep dive into straps from various vendors. beforew ordering the aquanaut i would insist on QC pictures.

QJ6hj.jpg

JB0938

2/1/16
i cant really comment on your strap problems. but if you refer to the post with the ID293 in this thread you can see the gold marks in the watch lug (f.e. the 750 / PPC). this indicates precious metals (R-gold,w-gold,y-gold,platinum).

This is super helpful, THANK YOU. I kept thinking references to "gold marks" to be literally gold-color markings on the lug and I kept getting frustrated saying "WHY CAN'T I FIND ANY GOLD MARKINGS???".

FWIW I think the movement looks great and from the pictures it's quite hard to tell that it's not engraved, but printed. Here's a picture of the gen. It's pretty DAMN close.
4bc9ac2aa250ad99c27f93ac19b0488b6f172568.jpg

Blue Ocean

7/12/17
timnic54 thanks for putting the time and effort into writing the review. It is appreciated and helps people like myself make informed decisions as they read your review and the comments that follow. I received mine earlier in the week and am very happy. It feels the perfect size/weight for a sports watch that also looks equally impressive with a suit (if that day ever comes again :)).
Beautiful! Is the 3k khaki 42mm or 40mm?

tinitonsi

Patron
Certified
21/3/14
However, looking at the below quoted picture (left is 3k, right is the LuminorReptar KMF hybrid with gen dial) I do think the 3k case is too fat in terms of width at the top and bottom, i.e. at 10 & 2, and at 8 and 4 - vs.the gen dial.

Link to picture of gen
http://s3.amazonaws.com/hq-milton-wa...ae9ca2b0e1.jpg

QJOb8.jpg

I think the biggest issue here (if we can call it so) is the finishing “inside” the numbers 6 & 9 and the height of the date.
And maybe the color of the hands lume?

7830ceb58936ca2e71e2b2f711488f20.plist

Reactions: madmax783

fettersack111

Known Member
13/1/19
Germany
How were they not lazy enough to just flip the 9 instead of going through the trouble to make a whole different number....

Felixle7

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
MULTI ACCOUNT
26/4/11
Number 6, 9 and 8 are correct. Just replicated from an older dial. There are two versions. One with oval indices and one with o shaped indices like 3KF replicated. The gen you see above is the one with oval shaped indices.

Gesendet von iPhone mit RWI

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
I think the only sure way not to get the crazy AU 750 engravings is to order the bracelet model and a separate rubber Band

I’ve ordered one from Andrew yesterday, and correct, you still have to get the bracelet version and order a separate rubber/clasp.

esquire_knight

Horology Curious
3/10/19
There are a bunch of gen rubber for sale now on eBay with price variations. I just purchased a new pair for USD 175. Anything with strap code C09 and D31 will fit. Both are 21 x 18mm straps.
@srhoque Did you purchase it on a bracelet ? after reading about the markings i decided to purchase it on a bracelet but from the other thread, i have been made to understand that you are required to purchase a clasp as well ? Also when you buy it uncut does it mean you can cut it your self to install it ? I am also worried that i might get the wrong strap as some of the straps cost as much as the rep it self .

thanks 160million for your detailed explanation on the markings !

srhoque

28/11/18
@srhoque Did you purchase it on a bracelet ? after reading about the markings i decided to purchase it on a bracelet but from the other thread, i have been made to understand that you are required to purchase a clasp as well ? Also when you buy it uncut does it mean you can cut it your self to install it ? I am also worried that i might get the wrong strap as some of the straps cost as much as the rep it self .

thanks 160million for your detailed explanation on the markings !

Because of all the confusion (and bad QC) regarding gold markings on SS, I ordered the bracelet version and also ordered a rubber strap separately (because of the clasp). Replacing the stock 3KF rubber with gen. Rubber comes in one full length and can be cut to fit your wrist, check youtube videos.

Last edited:
Reactions: jasonbaylee

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
From the research i've done on chrono24, the dial is from pre/incl. 2009. The dials from 2010 and up has the "swiss made" at 6. The seal on the back does not match this dial. The geneve seal goes with the "old" dial, and the PP seal goes with the "new" swiss made dial.

To sum it up, the 5167A watch you see on Patek.com is wrong, its a combination of an old 2009 dial, new 2010 and up back with PP seal, and white gold lugs, with stamps ;)

So either someone in the marketing department is lazy, or they are trying to throw of copiers....

Last edited:
Reactions: madmax783

Mark1937

Patron
Certified
25/3/17
From the research i've done on chrono24, the dial is from pre/incl. 2009. The dials from 2010 and up has the "swiss made" at 6. The seal on the back does not match this dial. The geneve seal goes with the "old" dial, and the PP seal goes with the "new" swiss made dial.

To sum it up, the 5167A watch you see on Patek.com is wrong, its a combination of an old 2009 dial, new 2010 and up back with PP seal, and white gold lugs, with stamps ;)

So either someone in the marketing department is lazy, or they are trying to throw of copiers....

OMG. Patek can't do it!

Anthonye

Known Member
23/12/19
EU

That's what I thought while ready an article few posts up. That's a shame...