If you're buying an aquanaut today...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timnic54 View Post

Strong argument for buying the PPF or ZF However I personally don't buy a Rep to fool anyone, and I am in no way suggesting you do, I buy a rep to be as near as possible to the original. I therefore dislike fake back plates, and differing functionality.

Reliability is more of an issue with complications, it isn't rocket science to make a reliable, well finished three hander with date.

This is why for me, the 3K is a huge step forward towards actual emulation of the original, which for me is what this whole game is about.

I respectfully accept that this isn't the case for everyone .

On a side note I am rather pleased that the movement in the 3 K is not engraved. Most of the problems I have had with rep movements have been directly attributed to the post production engraving. engraving is done post production as the risk of handling a falsely engraved movement is risky compared to the very much lower risk of handling sterile movement.
    If plates were engraved before assembly of the movements it would not be an issue.
    And by the way we have already learned that the 3K movement is not a complete clone as for example the date transition is different from gen. So if you are saying you dislike differing functionalities, in a time with date movement that's a pretty big difference...

Comment

Originally posted by The Rod View Post

And by the way we have already learned that the 3K movement is not a complete clone as for example the date transition is different from gen. So if you are saying you dislike differing functionalities, in a time with date movement that's a pretty big difference...
      AFAIK the date transition is gradual in a similar way to the Gen. The precise time of the change a simple matter of hand position and easy to move. The movement is a clone with some small differences. Looks like the main spring arbor is slightly different, one or two un jewelled pinions. But pretty much as close as it gets. Looking forward to getting a hands on examination when mine arrives.
      After more than 25 years in both, the irony is that the Rep world is more real than the Gen world

Comment

I agree that the 3K clone movement is a huge step forward, and eventually I'm sure I'll buy one as well.

But the question of the OP was "if you are buying an Aquanaut today". Not in 6 months. Not even in one month. No one has any direct experience with it, how can you recommend it??

As of now the 3K movement is an unknown commodity. Hell even 3K factory is completely unknown. Whereas both the ZF 5167 and ZF itself have been around for years. I can recommend only what I know and what I've experienced myself, doing otherwise would not be fair in my view.
        I think the question is "if you were buying today what would you buy?"
        My answer is the 3 K. That is what I have bought and what i would buy today. I gave my reasons for this.
        I can't honestly say that I would consider another aquanaut Rep, while the 3K is available.
        I have already said that I feel there are strong arguments for preferring others, but those arguments don't convince me.
        Last edited by timnic54; 31-01-20, 02:24.
        After more than 25 years in both, the irony is that the Rep world is more real than the Gen world

Comment

I agree that the 3K clone movement is a huge step forward, and eventually I'm sure I'll buy one as well.

But the question of the OP was "if you are buying an Aquanaut today". Not in 6 months. Not even in one month. No one has any direct experience with it, how can you recommend it??

As of now the 3K movement is an unknown commodity. Hell even 3K factory is completely unknown. Whereas both the ZF 5167 and ZF itself have been around for years. I can recommend only what I know and what I've experienced myself, doing otherwise would not be fair in my view.
          Im lucky enough to receive the 3K before CNY started and lets be honest here the clone movement beside the printed part is the most beautiful movement ive seen on a rep. Ive posted a short vid pf the video on the other theard but if anyone need for refrenece im happy to post it here also

Gửi từ SM-G960F của tôi bằng cách sử dụng Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jvevermind View Post
            Im lucky enough to receive the 3K before CNY started and lets be honest here the clone movement beside the printed part is the most beautiful movement ive seen on a rep. Ive posted a short vid pf the video on the other theard but if anyone need for refrenece im happy to post it here also

Gửi từ SM-G960F của tôi bằng cách sử dụng Tapatalk
            Looking forward to your review then!

Comment

AFAIK the date transition is gradual in a similar way to the Gen. The precise time of the change a simple matter of hand position and easy to move. The movement is a clone with some small differences. Looks like the main spring arbor is slightly different, one or two un jewelled pinions. But pretty much as close as it gets. Looking forward to getting a hands on examination when mine arrives.
              I think our argument is more or less settled and the OP can decide for himself what he prefers.

For the sake of precision regarding the date change:

- Gen: starts around 11.45
              - 3K: starts around 11
              - Miyota: starts around 11

So I would say in that regard both Miyota and 3K clone are equally different from gen.
              Last edited by The Rod; 30-01-20, 14:07.

Comment

I think our argument is more or less settled and the OP can decide for himself what he prefers.

For the sake of precision regarding the date change:

- Gen: starts around 11.45
                - 3K: starts around 11
                - Miyota: starts around 11

So I would say in that regard both Miyota and 3K clone are equally different from gen.
                When a date change activates is pretty much irrelevant. This is simply about the position of the hands on the cannon pinion.

What is salient is the time passage between activation and settlement to the new date.

My belief is that considering the immense similarity between the 324sc and the 3k clone, this time lapse is likely to be about the same.

But more will be known when we see some reviews, including the one I will write when the watch arrives.

Difference between the 324 , Miyota and PP movement are not in any way dependent upon when the change begins, it is the overall time lapse which defines.

If you want to be convinced that a dressed up 9015 is equal to a clone of the 324 SC, that is up to you. Reality however, has a way of prevailing.

A great deal of money and effort was put into creating a clone. This is because the Miyota 9015 will always be a poor imitation of the 324 SC as well as being too fat to fit in a case of the right proportions.

Comment

When a date change activates is pretty much irrelevant. This is simply about the position of the hands on the cannon pinion.

What is salient is the time passage between activation and settlement to the new date.

My belief is that considering the immense similarity between the 324sc and the 3k clone, this time lapse is likely to be about the same.

But more will be known when we see some reviews, including the one I will write when the watch arrives.

Difference between the 324 , Miyota and PP movement are not in any way dependent upon when the change begins, it is the overall time lapse which defines.

If you want to be convinced that a dressed up 9015 is equal to a clone of the 324 SC, that is up to you. Reality however, has a way of prevailing.

A great deal of money and effort was put into creating a clone. This is because the Miyota 9015 will always be a poor imitation of the 324 SC as well as being too fat to fit in a case of the right proportions.
                  This !

Comment

Yep, basically agree with everything here!!!

Anyone can adjust their own watch to complete the date change bang on midnight just by waiting for the change and then removing and replacing the hands onto the cannon lined up at 12:00!

DC

Comment

Working...
                    X