• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Interested in the 5711 by PPF. Is the quality up there with the 15400 by JF?

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
I have a few reps and the one that stands out the most in terms of quality is the 15400 by JF. I am amazed by the construction for the money. Now, the RO and the Nautilus are heavily compared online in the gen world... I'm curious if, rep wise, I'd get the same sense of "wow" from the PPF Naut the way the JF does with the 15400. No other rep for me has.

Does it measure up?

LuminorReptar

RepTime BST Mod
27/3/17
Beyond the Pines.
They're both top quality reps from established factories. I have the PPF Nautilus and am very happy with it, though it's not without its flaws.

If you're asking strangers on the internet to comment on whether it will live up to your personal expectations... then I don't have an answer for you.

Reactions: AriChoresh

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
They're both top quality reps from established factories. I have the PPF Nautilus and am very happy with it, though it's not without its flaws.

If you're asking strangers on the internet to comment on whether it will live up to your personal expectations... then I don't have an answer for you.

Not necessarily asking if it will live up to my personal expectations, but if they find it comparable in terms of quality for themselves in their opinion. And thanks for yours.

Last edited:

Ultra929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/9/12
Id say with some mods the PF 5711 is about the same quality as the JF 15400. The 5711 is lighter and feels flimsy, but thats how the gen is. Both great quality reps for sure.

Pseudorep

Horology Curious
11/10/18
I have both (and the 15450 too).

The 15400 is chunky, heavy and basically a bit of a tank. The PPF is lighter and more tinny in the hand - but that it's how the gen is.

The 5711 and 15450 are very similar feeling in the hand, but the 15450 is still a bit more substantial in the hand because of its extra thickness, but on the wrist it's similar.

Reactions: roadtofreedom

Kmmas

7/4/15
Id say with some mods the PF 5711 is about the same quality as the JF 15400. The 5711 is lighter and feels flimsy, but thats how the gen is. Both great quality reps for sure.

What mods in particular in your opinion?

Ultra929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/9/12
I did a MKF blue dial, Spongebob DWO, beveled and polished edges, re-lumed, thinned case to gen spec and silenced rotor.

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
I did a MKF blue dial, Spongebob DWO, beveled and polished edges, re-lumed, thinned case to gen spec and silenced rotor.

Can you share a picture? Spongebob sent me the wrong MKF DWO and I'm still waiting for the proper one to be sent.

Ultra929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/9/12
Can you share a picture? Spongebob sent me the wrong MKF DWO and I'm still waiting for the proper one to be sent.

I sent it back out to another modder as it wasnt quite right. Will post when/if it gets done.

Not sure if the DWO is right as well.

BlackJaguar

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/18

I definitely want to see photos of this. I actually had a similar build, but with PF/PFF hybrid (white dial).

Legend just finished a build for me that included PPF white dial, hands, Sponebob DWO, absolutely centered DWO, case back thinning to 8.3mm, silenced rotor, aligned markers, treatment to the bracelet to remove sharp edges and make it buttery smooth, waterproofing, and refinish of brush surface.

Can't wait for it.

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
I definitely want to see photos of this. I actually had a similar build, but with PF/PFF hybrid (white dial).

Legend just finished a build for me that included PPF white dial, hands, Sponebob DWO, absolutely centered DWO, case back thinning to 8.3mm, silenced rotor, aligned markers, treatment to the bracelet to remove sharp edges and make it buttery smooth, waterproofing, and refinish of brush surface.

Can't wait for it.

BlackJaguar

I haven't forgotten the pictures I promised, the watch isn't ready because I haven't received the right DWO yet. BTW thanks for recommending Chris, great guy to deal with. Unfortunately, we weren't successful because Spongebob sent the wrong DWO. Its one of those long stories.

BlackJaguar

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/18
BlackJaguar

I haven't forgotten the pictures I promised, the watch isn't ready because I haven't received the right DWO yet. BTW thanks for recommending Chris, great guy to deal with. Unfortunately, we weren't successful because Spongebob sent the wrong DWO. Its one of those long stories.

lol, I know you haven't forgotten bro. I'm glad things have been going well with, Chris. He's a class act and has done a phenomenal job with all my watches (even correcting an expensive issue at his own cost due to a mistake).

As for the DWO issue, I've been following your posts at the date wheel thread. It seems like Unltra929 is having a similar issue, and that there have been logistical issues with the new MK DWO. That genuinely sucks, especially considering how long you two waited.

But I know Sponebob and the DWO team are reputable community members, and they will correct the issue. They did everyone a huge service by creating the DWO -- but it seems like there was some issues with the printing company, which resulted in faulty DWOs being sent.

Ultra929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/9/12
Ah. That explains why my datewheel looks like the stock one. I got the wrong one too. Fat numbers and right justified.

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Ah. That explains why my datewheel looks like the stock one. I got the wrong one too. Fat numbers and right justified.

Mine were definitely right justified. My modder, Chris, sent me pictures with the DWO temporarily installed in my watch proving this. The pictures were forwarded to Spongebob for verification. Spongebob verified that it was in fact the wrong DWO sent and it was their fault. Many events transpired since then, the latest one being that Spongebob should be receiving a corrected DWO by the 15th (today). I'll follow up on Tuesday and await his response.

Ultra929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/9/12
Mine were definitely right justified. My modder, Chris, sent me pictures with the DWO temporarily installed in my watch proving this. The pictures were forwarded to Spongebob for verification. Spongebob verified that it was in fact the wrong DWO sent and it was their fault. Many events transpired since then, the latest one being that Spongebob should be receiving a corrected DWO by the 15th (today). I'll follow up on Tuesday and await his response.

Thanks for the heads up. I contacted Keylog who I believe handles the ordering part and told him I’m happy to buy another when available.

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Thanks for the heads up. I contacted Keylog who I believe handles the ordering part and told him I’m happy to buy another when available.

If you have any pictures with your DWO installed in your watch shown as clearly right justified, send it to Kelog74 and Spongebob. A new and correct one should be sent to you free of charge, that's what I did. Also I asked for pictures of the new one fitted in a MKF case/dial before shipping.

BTW Spongebob, what is the current status of my DWO?

Last edited:

Ultra929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/9/12
gilrob I’m sure the whole batch was bad but the DWO is still on the watch for pics. I’ve contacted both and am awaiting a response. Thanks again!

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
gilrob I’m sure the whole batch was bad but the DWO is still on the watch for pics. I’ve contacted both and am awaiting a response. Thanks again!

I received an email from Spongebob (Steve Huang) with a picture of the correct MKF DWO and he stated he should be receiving the next batch by next week. The numbers appears to have been moved to the left, when compared to the original DWO he sent. Unfortunately forum rules does not allow private emails to be shown for everyone to see. If you want to see the message and picture, PM me an email address so I can forward it to you. Although slow, we are making some progress.