• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Calatrava 5227R/J

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
Hi guys, today I’m here asking a question who may look obvious to most of the people out there.

I fell in love with the 5227. Either in RG or YG. After a bit of research, to me, ZF have nailed it. It’s incredible how close to gen they got.

Question is: how good is the plating on those bad boys? Any long time owner who can share their experience?

I’m almost there to pulling the trigger. Still, the plating question scares the shit out of me.

Help me be more comfortable!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Buy it, love it. It will chip if you ding it hard, it won't 'wear' out unless you own it for a long time (wearing it every day for 5 years).

Someone else can chime in, but that's been my experience with plated reps.

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
Buy it, love it. It will chip if you ding it hard, it won't 'wear' out unless you own it for a long time (wearing it every day for 5 years).

Someone else can chime in, but that's been my experience with plated reps.

That would definitely not be a daily beater!
I was scared cause I’ve seen a noob YM on a M2M sale with the plating a bit “fading” on the lugs. Makes me wonder how thick this plating really is..

On the other side, there are plenty of gen gold plated watches back from the 70-80’s still rocking hard today.

So I guess a good one can last for years..

Reactions: Palmtree1723

Lobster2010

Supporter
Certified
4/9/10
Agree with majwilliams0308, the plating on these higher end reps is quite durable as long as you don’t wear it every day. Sweat, rain, rubbing etc etc are all factors which affect plating - but over a long time frame.

Therefore enjoy wearing it, just not as your daily beater ;)

maison888

I'm Pretty Popular
7/8/14
Like the guys above have already said, it depends what sort of contact you're going to have with the watch. I've had RG cheapies that have lasted 8+ years without fading but I've had what you would consider "quality" reps where fading started after 2-3 years. Both watches were worn sparingly as well.

If you wear it frequent something as easy as swear or oil from your skin might cause a reaction after awhile. The one thing I always do now is wipe my yg/rg watches with water and a clean micro fiber cloth dedicated only for my watches.

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
Like the guys above have already said, it depends what sort of contact you're going to have with the watch. I've had RG cheapies that have lasted 8+ years without fading but I've had what you would consider "quality" reps where fading started after 2-3 years. Both watches were worn sparingly as well.

If you wear it frequent something as easy as swear or oil from your skin might cause a reaction after awhile. The one thing I always do now is wipe my yg/rg watches with water and a clean micro fiber cloth dedicated only for my watches.

That’s something for sure. The worst enemy for any plated jewelry piece is sweat itself! Cleaning that with water will wipe it out

Last edited:

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
Was wondering if anyone purchased a replacement leather strap for the 5227 since it has a special opening in the leather for the spring bar quick release.

Lobster2010

Supporter
Certified
4/9/10
Was wondering if anyone purchased a replacement leather strap for the 5227 since it has a special opening in the leather for the spring bar quick release.

quite a few posted pics of ones they bought off Camille Fournet.

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
Ok I checked out the posts with the strap pics. I decided I want to put a deployant clasp on this but can only get an 18mm one not a 16mm one. I know the 5227 uses a 19/16mm strap.

I looked for 19/18mm straps on CF and other places but cannot find a good one. Does anyone know if a 20/18mm strap would fit the 5227?

I know why Patek makes this watch with a tang buckle, so that the officers case back can be easily accessed, but tang buckles drive me insane I only use deployant clasps!! Lol

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Ok I checked out the posts with the strap pics. I decided I want to put a deployant clasp on this but can only get an 18mm one not a 16mm one. I know the 5227 uses a 19/16mm strap.

I looked for 19/18mm straps on CF and other places but cannot find a good one. Does anyone know if a 20/18mm strap would fit the 5227?

I know why Patek makes this watch with a tang buckle, so that the officers case back can be easily accessed, but tang buckles drive me insane I only use deployant clasps!! Lol

Mate you can just order a made to measure 19/18 strap from CF. Go in the menu and choose "leather straps" and "made to measure" and then you choose the attributes you want.

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
Mate you can just order a made to measure 19/18 strap from CF. Go in the menu and choose "leather straps" and "made to measure" and then you choose the attributes you want.

JM you are right I was looking at the wrong page on the CF website. I will order the CF strap after the watch gets delivered.

Thanks!